Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jenks

catch and release with powerbait and treble hook? Really? So a trout swallows a treble hook with yummy chartreuse garlic powerbait, slams the line, and you reel it in. The hook is in it's belly and you cut the line. I think I'd probably die or not do too well if a big *** treble hook was in my belly and I was being pulled by it and I was fightin to get away. Cut the line or not...

besides, powerbait fishing is boring. It's all about jigs, flies, and lures! Lip hook and release! Easy peasy.

Quote Originally Posted by hookdfisherman View Post
    I don't use trebles, T-man, did you read the posts??

Just so you know, I have a one-pole license. I rarely if ever just leave my pole in the water and soak, honestly... sometimes I do leave my pole for a bit but very rarely. I am almost always attentive to the fish-strike and react accordingly. That, my friend, is active fishing.

Read the links, it'll explain active fishing and it also speaks to mortality of trout (wild and wimpy) when hooked.
    To be honest, sort of read the posts. Didn't have too much time earlier. As for the active vs. boring fishing... I am talking about the throw the bait out, stick your pole in a holder, pull the line down with a bobber or weight hanging on it...I guess that could be really relaxing...pull out a book, chew on some beef jerky, etc. But I like to hold and feel the bite and hookin' em as they bite! Awesome! However, I have the 2nd Rod Validation so I do sometimes throw at powerbait or live bait, but the other rod and line is always movin!
    Last edited by Troutin Man; 10-03-2013 at 10:49 PM.

Sorry to "bum you out".
    Yeah......? Like I told you I don't care what you say, write, or post from the internet about survival rates, I am going by decades (35+years)of Trout fishing experience and I have found that small wimpy DFW fish do not usually survive after being drug in by their throat. Catch and release with powerbait=not good and irresponsible. I would think a angler with 40 yrs. of trout fishing experience would know this......
    By they way, all those fish you probably killed could have been caught by someone else, like a young angler just learning or a senior just trying to get his/her limit.
    Last edited by phishin phool; 11-05-2013 at 05:55 PM.

Last edited by hookdfisherman; 11-15-2013 at 05:36 PM.

looks like one of the links is not working here it is again...

http://wildlife.state.co.us/SiteColl...tality1996.pdf
    At 20%, which is probably way on the low side of reality, that means 2 of 10 fish go belly up include the fact that most are not as careful as you say you are or use optimum methods that number would go way up when not in a controlled study. How many fish would at the end of a regular day fishing then be dead? Too many from my perspective.

You seem to be posting a document that supports our concerns about C&R using powerbait, thanks!
    Last edited by seal; 10-04-2013 at 11:15 AM.

Wow. You guys really have provided a lot of info on catch and release. Unfortunately, people fish, catch, and some die...which totally sucks. I don't feel right knowing I hooked a trout in it's throat/belly and letting it go...but that's just me. Survival doesn't seem likely when that happens. I will powerbait it, but I know I will keep those and take them home for a great and fantastic meal. Lures and jigs liphooked I release.

Appreciate all the info and opinions. People can read if they are interested and then make decisions from there. However, I think all the info that has been posted has brought Catch and Release to the forefront. At least everyone who has posted are passionate about our sport. I am sure none of you leave trash and crap like the a**holes out there that really screw things up. Keep it real people. Fish the way you want, f****** enjoy it, and make good decisions that help our favorite fish and environment.

Sorry didn't see your reply... never mind.
    No worries dude.
    I do both. Keep the ones on bait...release the lip hooked on jigs, flies, and lures.

Quote Originally Posted by Troutin Man View Post
    Wow. You guys really have provided a lot of info on catch and release. Unfortunately, people fish, catch, and some die...which totally sucks. I don't feel right knowing I hooked a trout in it's throat/belly and letting it go...but that's just me. Survival doesn't seem likely when that happens. I will powerbait it, but I know I will keep those and take them home for a great and fantastic meal. Lures and jigs liphooked I release.

Appreciate all the info and opinions. People can read if they are interested and then make decisions from there. However, I think all the info that has been posted has brought Catch and Release to the forefront. At least everyone who has posted are passionate about our sport. I am sure none of you leave trash and crap like the a**holes out there that really screw things up. Keep it real people. Fish the way you want, f****** enjoy it, and make good decisions that help our favorite fish and environment.
    Well said TM

T-man, thanks for your measured response. You and Viejo are the only persons who have actually been measured and thoughtful. I admit that I have not been measured, at all. I am glad both of you responded. Thanks.

One last point to all fisherman on this forum:

Let's say based on the scientific research presented that the 20% survival rate using power bait is valid. Based on this, of the 25 fish I caught, five (0.20 x 25 = 5) are "potentially" going to die.

By phools and seals standards, One should not release either 95% (24 trout) or 50% (13 trout), respectively, of these power bait caught fish. One should be taking the fish home and cookin' 'em up because they are going to die!... anyway that's their supposed theory, I assume.

But, If one was forced to select the five fish that are supposed to be kept because, statistically speaking, they are going to die; what criteria should one use?

Which of the five out of 25 fish does one destroy? Which ones and in what quantity would one need to destroy in order to satisfy those (seal and phool) against the bait fisherman who catch and release their fish? How does one choose the correct fish and in what quantity?

I can't use the severely damaged criteria (there were none), I can't use the severity of gut-hook (some of those also survived for three weeks and probably longer, but they unfortunately died for the study).

I could flip a coin... that doesn't seem fair, after all, that "unlucky" coin-flip fish may have actually survived. And the coin flip method would in the long run bring the death rate to, at least!, the invalid 50/50 ratio anyway.

Please remember, of the 25 fish I landed: None were overly damaged (by my rudimentary standards). They all seemed minimally damaged and they were all strong enough to swim away.

Maybe I should kill the smallest ones, nah I would rather eat the bigger ones.

Or, maybe I can just evaluate by their minimal blood loss and ability to swim away, which ones live and which ones just will not survive? (I do keep the severely damaged, large or small, cook 'em up and enjoy a great meal!) Honestly, I would like to release the strong back into the wild to hopefully survive. I can live with the fact that each fish gets a fair chance at survival providing they prove their ability to do so.

Ultimately, this is my point, if I take the fish home, they are dead. If I let them go under their own power, they may live. Those five "may" die but that is just a probability, there is no guarantee of eminent death unless I take 'em home with me and again, which ones and how do I select?

Can't I just leave the my seemingly healthy fish seal and phool think I should kill and hope it lives so some kid or that senior citizen can catch them another day?

Heck, maybe even seal and phool can catch my surviving trout ... hopefully when I am not around...

Btw, I ALWAYS pack out others left-behind line, leaders and trash. I cart it away in a zip lock bag that I always carry solely for that reason. I look for and keep all swivels and sinkers left behind and reuse them. I always leave it cleaner than when I arrived.
    It's simple C&R properly using techniques that are accepted or leave after you catch your 5 power bait fish. Or catch 4 power bait fish and start using C&R techniques or get a second rod pass and toss lures while waiting for a bite, or just continue doing what your doing with the knowledge your are leaving behind more dead fish than you should be. This is getting ridiculous, funniest part is when you called Viejo measured, lol, no offense but Viejo is about as serious as they come about this stuff!

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast