Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jenks

If you are going to C&R you should use barbless hooks you should use lures you shouldn't use bait.

That's my opinion and I'm not going to change it. I will always respond to posts that are indicating C&R with powerbait. Even if you do not agree I do it so others hopefully do not do the same. I don't like the idea of catching fish with 2 or 3 hooks dangling out of their mouths, you are fishing in a mountain lake not a pay to fish pond. You do not know the end result of your efforts just because a trout swims away does not mean it will survive. When you gut hook a trout and are pulling it in by line that is doing damage.

Sorry will never agree there are so many other ways to catch trout that are just as effective if not more effective than using silly puddy.

if you are really worried try barbless hooks?

leme ask you this how would you like a hook left in your throat? kind of ironic you name is hookdfisherman...

an i think if a bullet was in seals brain he wouldnt have any opinoins as to what to do he would be dead but good analogy i guess...

an leme ask you this if you were a fish that was gonna die would you rather feed someone or wash up onto shore with three hooks in you throat?

By the way Hookdfisherman I appreciate you be measured and at least listening without a harsh response, others have not when this discussion comes up, thanks.

I like lemon twist combined with garlic in green. You should really be using a treble hook size 4 with at least a 1oz sinker so you can get out to them honey holes.

Have at it!

Quote Originally Posted by hookdfisherman View Post
    yes, i did.

didn't use anything else. no flies, no lures, no live bait.
    The reason I asked original question is because i am always curious on how people c&r trout on Powerbait. Like Seal I find it hard to believe it is possible all those fish swam away fine. Yes, you can cut line like you said, but with a treble hook stuck in its throat a weak DFW fish will die 95% of the time, maybe not right away but probably shortly after it will be floating. I don't care what you say or how much you write to justify your actions. A single baitholder or barbless.....yes it could survive, but a treble......no. I too have been fishing for trout (primarily c&r) for a long time and over that time I have realized there are alot better ways to catch DFW trout or wild trout for release than Powerbait. And if you are as experienced as you say I don't understand why you still use the stuff in the first place. And if you tell me you fish Powerbait on a single baitholder hook and chuck it out past the weeds.......well, I doubt it. If so you got some serious skills. My suggestion for fishing Jenks and doing c&r is using a gold or silver Panther Martin with a single hook, Red trout worms, or white, yellow and orange jigs, or flies(all with pinched barbs if possible). They will out perform PB anyday at Jenks and are alot easier on the fish. My response was not meant to be offensive, I just get bummed when people put on here (or any public forum) they c&r with PB, just not a good thing for responsible fishing.
    Last edited by phishin phool; 10-03-2013 at 05:03 PM.

Well said. I think I am having a Deja Vu again......

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    If you are going to C&R you should use barbless hooks you should use lures you shouldn't use bait.

That's my opinion and I'm not going to change it. I will always respond to posts that are indicating C&R with powerbait. Even if you do not agree I do it so others hopefully do not do the same. I don't like the idea of catching fish with 2 or 3 hooks dangling out of their mouths, you are fishing in a mountain lake not a pay to fish pond. You do not know the end result of your efforts just because a trout swims away does not mean it will survive. When you gut hook a trout and are pulling it in by line that is doing damage.

Sorry will never agree there are so many other ways to catch trout that are just as effective if not more effective than using silly puddy.
    Last edited by phishin phool; 10-03-2013 at 04:55 PM.

There have been countless discussions on this board re: C&R for rainbow trout. If you think we are the only 2 that have that opinion you need to do more reading. From handling trout with wet hands to protect slime coats, never touch their gills, use special nets once again to protect slime coat etc... There is a reason why there are so many "rules" to C&R of trout it's because they are extremely sensitive throw in the fact what you are catching are mostly very recent DFW stockers that are even more wimpy the chances of survival drops even more. The fact that you seem to be unaware of this tells me that your experience level or education level on trout is not what you have described or you've been living under a rock. Sorry but it's been explained numerous times, you do some research, please.
    Last edited by seal; 10-03-2013 at 07:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    There have been countless discussions on this board re: C&R for rainbow trout. If you think we are the only 2 that have that opinion you need to do more reading. From handling trout with wet hands to protect slime coats, never touch their gills, use special nets once again to protect slime coat etc... There is a reason why there are so many "rules" to C&R of trout it's because they are extremely sensitive throw in the fact what you are catching are mostly very recent DFW stockers that are even more wimpy the chances of survival drops even more. The fact that you seem to be unaware of this tells me that your experience level or education level on trout is not what you have described or you've been living under a rock. Sorry but it's been explained numerous times, you do some research, please.
    Seal, you've both always been a strong proponent for fishing ethics and C & R. Depending on your sources....10% of all fish caught and released under the best of conditions die.

Some folks get it....some get part of it...and some never get it. They do what they want to do. I was recently on a fishery up north that has moving water and lots of wild fish. At every easy access water entry, we found one or two dead and dying trout lying on the bottom.....and the usual trash of beer cans, worm boxes and PB jars.

Last edited by hookdfisherman; 11-15-2013 at 05:34 PM.

Last edited by hookdfisherman; 11-15-2013 at 05:35 PM.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast