Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Sherwin Lake - Mammoth Area Hike and Brookies

Default Sherwin Lake - Mammoth Area Hike and Brookies

I was fishing out on Crowley and got blown off one day so we decided to head out the the Mammoth area and do a little hike. We headed to Sherwin Lake which is a 2.2 mile hike and a little over 800 feet elevation gain. I was reading about it in the Definitive Guide to fishing California and it seemed like it used to be good with rainbows, brookies and browns. Well the water is down and I think they must have stopped stocking these lakes as there were only some small brook trout around who were eager to bite. Probably caught about 10 from 3 inches long to about 7 inches. All caught on a panther martin from shore. Walked around the whole lake, there is one hole that holds a bunch of the larger fish in the lake and an inlet stream where a bunch are sitting in super shallow water and difficult to catch without spooking. Here's a little video from the day. Didn't actually get much action on video. Had one other good shot, but couldn't find the footage.

A 2.2 mile hike with 800 ft of elevation gain and little one in tow is a pretty decent climb.
    It looks like it was worth the effort though.
    Very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    A 2.2 mile hike with 800 ft of elevation gain and little one in tow is a pretty decent climb.
    It looks like it was worth the effort though.
    Very nice!
    Yeah I carry her on the backpack, works pretty good.