Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: LAAATE report 1.5 seaforth 8/12/2013

Default LAAATE report 1.5 seaforth 8/12/2013

Sorry this is so late after the trip I had a very bad taste in my mouth after this trip so I really didn't want to talk about it haha. well we left around 9 got bait and had a few beers and went to sleep woke up around 6-6:30 for the first paddy very small one dodo came up off that and the rest of the day was finding very small scraps of kelp that were holding one to two fish. I ended up with the skunk boat only ended up with 7 fish total 2 yellow tail and 5 dorado by my count. count on the website was 8 dorado so i don't know where that came from but it was a bad day of fishing . nothing on the troll no signs of life and the swells were pretty big. Captain said that's why the kelp paddies were so beat up. It was a good experience though had fun on my first trip over extended 3/4 day. I learned you have to be a little rude to get into the right spots on small paddies to catch a fish. Captain and crew were awesome!!! food was great!!! had awesome dinner Monday night, tri tip veggies awesome beans and bacon. People on the boat were not as awesome a lot of people were very rude yelling at other people to move and to do this and do that but like I said I learned a lot on this trip and it was fun!! can't wait for my next trip!! private 1.5 charter this sunday out of h&m on the jigstrike!!! I hope to have better luck this trip I have a few pics but nothing worth posting. God Bless

Thanks for the report. It is reports like this that teach people that not all good all the time. So many people will never post a skunk trip in fear that it won't look make them good.

The reality is there is so many factors. Weather, tides, moon, fish movement. I like to fish KH Bonito but most of the time they could be 200 + miles away. It might take 20 skunk trips. Tuna from Bonito, Yellowfin, Bluefin to Big Eye can swim 50+ miles a day. Here today, gone tomorrow.

Thanks for the post.
    DR

thanks dockrat, that is also a reason why I didnt post this report when I first got back a little embarrassed and just a little bitter haha.

Quote Originally Posted by DockRat View Post
    Thanks for the report. It is reports like this that teach people that not all good all the time. So many people will never post a skunk trip in fear that it won't look make them good.

The reality is there is so many factors. Weather, tides, moon, fish movement. I like to fish KH Bonito but most of the time they could be 200 + miles away. It might take 20 skunk trips. Tuna from Bonito, Yellowfin, Bluefin to Big Eye can swim 50+ miles a day. Here today, gone tomorrow.

Thanks for the post.
    DR

Looks like you went on the Aztec. I have fished that boat, and found all but 1 of the crew members to be great. The one crew was a complete jerk and didn't even say thanks to a 20 percent tip. I won't fish that boat again, and if you look at the counts the numbers are way down from years past. That may be why it has openings when all the other boats are booked weeks in advance. The captain does work hard, but targets the bigger grade of fish. Not a good boat for a first timer. I took a first timer on the San Diego a few days ago for a 3/4 day offshore trip and got limits of yellowtail. Mostly rats, but he had a great time getting his first yellowtail. Captain said tuna moving closer to San Diego, about 4 miles a day. Saw they got 2 tuna yesterday, so tuna getting within 40 miles of San Diego. Your next trip should be better.

Sorry to hear about the poor trip.
    It has happened to most everyone here.
    The private charter should be better, people know how to work with each other and that results in better fish counts.
    I also have to agree with shioda, the Aztek has had some poor numbers this year.
    Look forward to the next report.
    Robert
    <><