Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Any Tiger Trout in Colorado??

Default Any Tiger Trout in Colorado??

How goes it my fellow anglers? My new job allows me to travel out of state often. My coworker and i made the pact of trying to catch a fish in every state we go to. My goal is to catch fish only found in that area...with that said, I'm headed to Colorado this week, tomorrow actually, and was curious if anyone knew of waters that hold tiger trout. I'll be armed with a spinning rod and a 9' 5wt... I'll be in general area of Fort Collins, Denver, Northglenn. Any help is appreciated with a report to follow. Thanks in advance

-dave

I was in Greely for my nephews wedding 3 years ago and couldn't believe how many Pelicans there was at the lake there. No info on trout. Check out Estes Park if you have a day off, big Elk all over there.
    Lots of Beaver in Fort Collins too .
    DR

I do the same thing as I travel but my goal is try and catch fish "native" to the local area. In Colorado there are only 3 native trout and they are all cutthroats.....the Green cutthroat, the Colorado River cutthroat and Rio Grande cutthroat. If I were heading to Colorado those are what I would be after. I don't mean to disparage tiger trout but they aren't a real fish....they are a hatchery concoction. True they do rarely occur in nature but not as natives.....brown trout are only native to the eastern hemisphere while brook trout are only native to eastern north america.....I understand tigers are quite fun to catch, though. Stocking them where they won't crowd out natives is somewhat harmless as they are sterile. Hope you have a great fishing part of your trip.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Piss on Myspace View Post
    How goes it my fellow anglers? My new job allows me to travel out of state often. My coworker and i made the pact of trying to catch a fish in every state we go to. My goal is to catch fish only found in that area...with that said, I'm headed to Colorado this week, tomorrow actually, and was curious if anyone knew of waters that hold tiger trout. I'll be armed with a spinning rod and a 9' 5wt... I'll be in general area of Fort Collins, Denver, Northglenn. Any help is appreciated with a report to follow. Thanks in advance

-dave

you wanna go native up there, try and stick a colorado river squawfish... i mean pikeminow. that'd be coooooool.

i've only fished the cache la pouder river up there. caught some very nice browns, lost a massive rainbow.

should be fun no matter where you end up.

Lucky bastard... go for the cutties!!!

Quote Originally Posted by City Dad View Post
    you wanna go native up there, try and stick a colorado river squawfish... i mean pikeminow. that'd be coooooool.

i've only fished the cache la pouder river up there. caught some very nice browns, lost a massive rainbow.

should be fun no matter where you end up.
    Know what you mean City Dad.....have caught untold numbers of Montana squawfish.......er,.....I mean northern pikeminnow. Wouldn't want to be politically incorrect..... ;-)

Thanks for replies boys, much appreciated. Unfortunately, never had time to fish...although i didn't get the tiger, i found a lmb....hahaha

Apologies for the late response..

Cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130903_175036_117-1.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	42851   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130903_175036_117-1.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	42852  

Dang.....get a scale on that thing.....need to do some fishing in Colorado..... ;-)