Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Backyard Spider ID ?

Looks like a brown widow, however ID can be difficult in socal, because L. Hesperus and L. Geometricus hybridize readily.

The best ID characteristic for widows is their egg-sacs. Brown widows make a strange "spiky" brown eggsac, while Black widows make smooth white sacs.

Thanks smokehound It was sent to Brown widow spider project entomology project UC Riverside. But no reply so far. Welcome back smokehound.

Quote Originally Posted by old pudd fisher View Post
    Welcome back smokehound.
    X2

Do they still serve bologna sandwich, apple and a bag of chips for lunch ?
    DR

I haven't seen L. hesperus (western widow) on my property in years..

L. geometricus (browns) are extirpating them. In the future, the western widow may be considered endangered/threatened. The onslaught of people killing them out of fear, as well as the competition with the browns, which repopulate MUCH faster, with much larger broods, will take a major toll on them.

The only true black widows I've seen lately, were in scrubland... pretty sad to see native animals disappear.

Since we're on the subject of arachnids.. :D

Mature female Schizocosa mccooki.

Olios peninsulanus, a native huntsman of southern california.. Pretty awesome spiders, it's hard to see, but this spiderling is eating a silverfish on my finger :D

A close-up of the huntsman.. As an adult, it will have a three-inch legspan.

Bothriocyrtum californicum, the California Trap-door spider, dare ya to stick a finger in there

Same spider, photo taken right after she tried to kill me

Aphonopelma "OC-blonde". This native tarantula doesn't have an official name, yet. She's got one more molt, then I'm gonna breed her and make $$$!

Her suitor.. one molt away from adulthood. He's not even an adult, and he's huge! His colors are awesome!

California swollen-stinger, immature female eating a silverfish

Same species, mature gravid female, she may have given birth last night. These are pretty valuable, $30.00+ value! Im stoked about that one :D

And here's the habitat they all came from:

Quote Originally Posted by smokehound View Post
    I haven't seen L. hesperus (western widow) on my property in years..

L. geometricus (browns) are extirpating them. In the future, the western widow may be considered endangered/threatened. The onslaught of people killing them out of fear, as well as the competition with the browns, which repopulate MUCH faster, with much larger broods, will take a major toll on them.

The only true black widows I've seen lately, were in scrubland... pretty sad to see native animals disappear.

Since we're on the subject of arachnids.. :D

Mature female Schizocosa mccooki.

Olios peninsulanus, a native huntsman of southern california.. Pretty awesome spiders, it's hard to see, but this spiderling is eating a silverfish on my finger :D

A close-up of the huntsman.. As an adult, it will have a three-inch legspan.

Bothriocyrtum californicum, the California Trap-door spider, dare ya to stick a finger in there

Same spider, photo taken right after she tried to kill me

Aphonopelma "OC-blonde". This native tarantula doesn't have an official name, yet. She's got one more molt, then I'm gonna breed her and make $$$!

Her suitor.. one molt away from adulthood. He's not even an adult, and he's huge! His colors are awesome!

California swollen-stinger, immature female eating a silverfish

Same species, mature gravid female, she may have given birth last night. These are pretty valuable, $30.00+ value! Im stoked about that one :D

And here's the habitat they all came from:

Well, I've had the exact opposite happen here at my house. We've lived here for 10 years and we've never had so many of both the Brown and Black Widows. And actually this is the first year I've seen the Browns. Both my sons and I have all been bitten by them doing yard work or working in the garage. There are 100's of them around my yard and have found several that made it into the house. Unfortunately there are so many I've had to do a monthly extermination. I spray myself to save the $$. 5 years ago my oldest son was bit three times, two on one thigh and once on the other by a Black Widow while he was sleeping in one night. We did find the spider. And he did indeed require a trip to the ER. Yikes, these things are nasty man...

Yeah, we have a serious problem with the brown widows. I don't know what constitutes an "infestation" but I think we're there already.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12