Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Penn squidder 146

Default Penn squidder 146

I found the reel my Grandpa gave me a while ago, its an old Penn squidder, would this be good to use for cats? He has another one at his house too

Used to be one of my favorite reels many years ago,loved the compact size and look,but they were slow as heck,and the used to love to eat line,I don't see why it wouldn't be fine for cats. Thanks for the memories.

Cya TunaVic

The reel in the picture is not a stock Squider 146. This reel has been up graded by installing a Tiburon Topless red frame and the heavy duty rod clamp assembly. Tiburon Frame & rod clamp your cost today at about $69.00 with sales tax. The reel before upgrade worth used about $65.00 to $75.00. Today you can sell the reel if you wanted to on ebay for at least $100.00. These reels were made for the surf and fishing out in the ocean. I would not use it for bank fishing in the dirt and rocks because it will screw up a nice reel. If you are fishing cats out of a boat no problem the reel can handle any catfish.
    You can purchase a complete catfish spinning rod & reel for about $35.00 and when it falls apart through it in the trash. Anyway I hope this helps and enjoy your grandfathers nice reels. If you have any questions just ask. I am old school and use the old Penn Reels at this time and I service them and they still work great. I still use my Penn 500 that I purchased in 1953 when I was 12. Caught a yellow tail with it last September 2012 80 miles off San Diego on the boat Producer.
    Tight Lines
    Bill
    TUNAVIC is correct about eating the line. The line gets between the spool and the reel frame. I have been using IZORLINE 30 POUND TEST XXX SUPER CO-POLYMER and have had no problems. You go down to small line sizes and you will have the problem. When your grandfather upgraded the reel I wonder if he installed a after market Tiberon spool that may be tighter and prevented the line eating problem. Good luck Bill
    Last edited by Jig-Guy; 08-24-2013 at 03:01 PM. Reason: LINE EATING!

Quote Originally Posted by Jig-Guy View Post
    The reel in the picture is not a stock Squider 146. This reel has been up graded by installing a Tiburon Topless red frame and the heavy duty rod clamp assembly. Tiburon Frame & rod clamp your cost today at about $69.00 with sales tax. The reel before upgrade worth used about $65.00 to $75.00. Today you can sell the reel if you wanted to on ebay for at least $100.00. These reels were made for the surf and fishing out in the ocean. I would not use it for bank fishing in the dirt and rocks because it will screw up a nice reel. If you are fishing cats out of a boat no problem the reel can handle any catfish.
    You can purchase a complete catfish spinning rod & reel for about $35.00 and when it falls apart through it in the trash. Anyway I hope this helps and enjoy your grandfathers nice reels. If you have any questions just ask. I am old school and use the old Penn Reels at this time and I service them and they still work great. I still use my Penn 500 that I purchased in 1953 when I was 12. Caught a yellow tail with it last September 2012 80 miles off San Diego on the boat Producer.
    Tight Lines
    Bill
    TUNAVIC is correct about eating the line. The line gets between the spool and the reel frame. I have been using IZORLINE 30 POUND TEST XXX SUPER CO-POLYMER and have had no problems. You go down to small line sizes and you will have the problem. When your grandfather upgraded the reel I wonder if he installed a after market Tiberon spool that may be tighter and prevented the line eating problem. Good luck Bill
    Thanks for all the details and it looks like this reel can use some cleaning and a new spool of line . im going to take off the old line and post some higher quality pics of it.

he had braid under the mono.

The line under the mono is NOT braid, some kind of dacrone. We always installed a backing line on the spool so when you put presure on the spool with mono you would not split it in half. The plastic spools would actually break in half or expand and the reel spool would not move because it was jamed up in the reel frame.

How to service your granfathers reels, go to alantani.com he has instructions on how to service your grandfathers reels.
    For parts and schematics of your grandfathers reels go to Scott's Bait & Tackle www.scotts.com or www.penn reel parts.com. Scotts phone 609 296-1300.

If you need more information just ask. I have been servicing these reels for a long time.
    Bill

Thanks very much, appreciate all you guys being very helpful. ! The reels drag and everything is working very good , just need to change the line.
    but i will probably have the reel checked out in a week or so just in case.

To add to what the jig guy said these are by far the best casting of all the peen reels the have a air brake on the side of the spools and real bearings. They were the premier surf casting reel when people still used bait casters. I once saw a video of a guy cast a modified one over three hundred feet. they also have a quick change spool. On ebay you can get parts for these. they made a plastic spool a aluminum spool and a steel spool the plastic casts the best but is prone to failure when loaded with anything over 25#. With a little practice you cast this thing a country mile. I still have one I built on a tiburon frame with ceramic bearings and it will outcast reels costing hundreds of dollars more but the gear ratio is slow I have caught hundres of sharks rays and lincod with it and never had a spool failure. stick 25 or less mono I wouldn't use braid. I caught a six foot green sturgeon out of the klamath river with dads squidder when I was twelve years old.

I got a 146 too. Good for tossing iron. Adjust the spool on side center so that the spool has very little side play but not tight. Try to clean the chrome too.
    DR

I cleaned the chrome and it looks super shiny and isnt all cloudy like how it was in the picture.
    Thanks guys for being very helpful !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast