Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 21.4 LB Striper caught at Lake Perris 8/18

Quote Originally Posted by DEVOREFLYER View Post
    I am more confused than ever, I know easy for me. Huge Striper are caught at Perris on occasion yet we never hear about any schoolies being caught. We also hear of the damage done to the other species by Mr. Stripy yet the Red Ear, Gills and Large mouth Bass at Perris seem to thrive and grow to a much larger size than at the Wood or DVL that also has stripers. What's going on at Perris that we don't understand? Clear the fog of confusion for me.
    Personally I believe the Perris thrives because the overall population of stripers is extremely low. There are no schoolies in Perris. As a result, there is a healthy population of shad. That, coupled with other food sources allow the largies to thrive. The XXXL stripers in Perris are most likely filling a specific niche all of their own with very little competition from anything at all, being such a large and formidable apex predator. The only competition they might have with largies is the wintertime selection of stocked trout.

DVL, on the other hand, has a overabundance of school sized stripers. You can see them on the graph, so many that you can swat them with your hand. Sure, they are deep but that's where whats left of the shad are. They absolutely decimate the shad population. Largemouth are forced to forage on crawdads/trout in winter and perch/silversides in summer and fall.

Just my 2 cents.

So if the Stripers are not reproducing in Perris we will slowly see an elimination of them if not C&R.

To bad we scared away Kwin as perhaps he knows the answer to the mystery.
    No comment.

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    No comment.
    Silence is GOLDEN. lol I wonder if he LURKS!

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
    Personally I believe the Perris thrives because the overall population of stripers is extremely low. There are no schoolies in Perris. As a result, there is a healthy population of shad. That, coupled with other food sources allow the largies to thrive. The XXXL stripers in Perris are most likely filling a specific niche all of their own with very little competition from anything at all, being such a large and formidable apex predator. The only competition they might have with largies is the wintertime selection of stocked trout.

DVL, on the other hand, has a overabundance of school sized stripers. You can see them on the graph, so many that you can swat them with your hand. Sure, they are deep but that's where whats left of the shad are. They absolutely decimate the shad population. Largemouth are forced to forage on crawdads/trout in winter and perch/silversides in summer and fall.

Just my 2 cents.
    For some reason the largemouth population continues to be consistent at Silverwood and even the shad come and go, which is normal as far as baitfish populations will fluctuate. The only thing that I believe is potentially devastating to the shad population at DVL is that it is lower in the reservoir chain and therefore will be in a low water condition whenever we have multiple draught years which of course exposes the shad more to the stripers. Think this is one of the situations that was not thought about prior to DVL's creation or possibly was considered but was not relayed to the population when DVL was being sold as the "jewel".

Silence is GOLDEN. lol I wonder if he LURKS!
    Maybe he'll show up in the mosh pit (aka political threads).

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    Maybe he'll show up in the mosh pit (aka political threads).
    He would not dare as it can get UGLY and it is infested with da Quagga.

He would not dare as it can get UGLY and it is infested with da Quagga.
    Yes but so is DVL, lol!

We also hear of the damage done to the other species by Mr. Stripy yet the Red Ear, Gills and Large mouth Bass at Perris seem to thrive and grow to a much larger size than at the Wood or DVL that also has stripers.
    Not sure if you've fished DVL for gills and redear but I can tell you that they are bigger than the ones at Perris.

Quote Originally Posted by fish4anything View Post
    Not sure if you've fished DVL for gills and redear but I can tell you that they are bigger than the ones at Perris.
    I have not but I think I need to take the fly rod out the next time I go and try it.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast