Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 21.4 LB Striper caught at Lake Perris 8/18

Default 21.4 LB Striper caught at Lake Perris 8/18

So, the BABA crew went out to Lake Perris early this morning, water clarity is down compared to the past few months of crystal clear water, the green color and algae are returning to Perris' water. The bite was tough, as it has been for the past week. We managed 4 fish on the boat, all of them on flylined senkos near Tire Reef. Nothing big, but it was good to break the skunk from the past few days on shore.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8364.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	42355Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8367.jpg 
Views:	295 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	42356Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8371.jpg 
Views:	282 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	42357

As we are making our rounds and trying out different spots, we hit the trench for a while, and a guy trolls by us in a tracker, and all of a sudden his rod goes BENDO and his clicker goes ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZING! I grab the camera and record this beauty. 21.4lbs striper at lake perris, on video, no photoshop bs lmao.

http://youtu.be/R2Uslj4-yK4

Wow! Did they end up keeping it? I would have. Amazing fish like that are swimming in there, great job to the angler. Good job to you guys as well for beating the skunk. I'm hitting it with my tube tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by elbowlayer View Post
    Wow! Did they end up keeping it? I would have. Amazing fish like that are swimming in there, great job to the angler. Good job to you guys as well for beating the skunk. I'm hitting it with my tube tomorrow.
    I dont know what they ended up doing with it. They tried to release and revive it, but it kept going belly up so I think it's gonna be on someone's dinner plate tonight.

good luck tomorrow! It was a slow day for us out there, but seeing that stripey made up for it.
    Last edited by tree; 08-18-2013 at 06:31 PM.

Default Eye Witness #2

I just wanted to say "Hi" to everyone because this is my first post AND I'm the guy driving the other boat with the umbrellas while my brother was taking pics. Being on camera really does add pounds! It was also a slow day for us (one at the trench with the old-school Brass n' Glass'd Roboworm and another with a black rooster-tail at the tires) but we totally agree that seeing that striper truly was invigorating! Glad to have shared it with you guys!

Thanks for your report, and the news about the DD striper too. Heard there are some in there.

I am more confused than ever, I know easy for me. Huge Striper are caught at Perris on occasion yet we never hear about any schoolies being caught. We also hear of the damage done to the other species by Mr. Stripy yet the Red Ear, Gills and Large mouth Bass at Perris seem to thrive and grow to a much larger size than at the Wood or DVL that also has stripers. What's going on at Perris that we don't understand? Clear the fog of confusion for me.

Quote Originally Posted by DEVOREFLYER View Post
    I am more confused than ever, I know easy for me. Huge Striper are caught at Perris on occasion yet we never hear about any schoolies being caught. We also hear of the damage done to the other species by Mr. Stripy yet the Red Ear, Gills and Large mouth Bass at Perris seem to thrive and grow to a much larger size than at the Wood or DVL that also has stripers. What's going on at Perris that we don't understand? Clear the fog of confusion for me.
    maybe the habitat does not allow as many of the breeding larva/eggs to survive and only a few and the strongest survive out the gate. this would then just lead to less schoolies which allows those that did survive to grow much larger as competitor for food is much less? Just a theory...

never been to perris. how deep is perris and flow? Since striper eggs prefer current, maybe there is not much current which leads to most of the eggs dying?

Many DD largemouth caught annually at the Wood but certainly the gill bite is not quite what Perris has although I've caught huge ones on the fly down in Miller. Think that no impacts from stripy on Perris is just based on the small amount of stripers in the lake. I know the spawn conditions don't exist at Perris like other reservoirs which would explain a lot of the lack of large pods of fish but the unexplainable to me is why you only hear about big stripers and no medium size? Maybe those occasional mid size fish are just not reported on.
    Last edited by seal; 08-20-2013 at 07:33 AM.

Seal I would guess that the habitat/cover at Perris is a key factor in the survival of the gill and red ear fry to escape Mr. Stripy. To bad we scared away Kwin as perhaps he knows the answer to the mystery.

The Stripers are always large at lake Perris because no new Stripers have entered the lake.
    Stripers showed up at lake Perris when the repairs were made at Devils gate below lake Silverwood.
    During repairs quite a few years ago Lots of smaller Stripers Entered lake perris.
    Since that time no other fish have made it through he aqueduct gates.
    the lake Perris Stripers were really Fat and growing large for quite some years.
    Now that the Fish and Game has stopped Stocking lake Perris with trout we notice the Stripers have gotten Thin.
    If you look at the 21lber caught Sunday it is Missing the large belly they used to Have
    Since no New Stripers have entered Perris they are all Huge Fish.
    I caught one in June that had 3 blue Gill in its stomach.
    I think Most people have noticed at lake Perris the Huge Numbers of Bluegill are down from Previous Years .... maybe Due to Stripers ?
    For people who really want to catch Stripers at LP they just need Electronics and follow the Large Bluegill and Bait Balls in Deep water..... You will find the Stripers
    The one caught Sunday was Preying on Bluegill over deeper water.
    tom

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast