Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: recommendations to make the lake a more pleasant experience:

I recently went to DVL to shake down a new (to me) fishing rig - 12' Jon boat, 2 hp, 4 stroke Tohastu O/B - all required safety gear and was denied access because I didn't have a 'red flag', but was told I could buy one for 5 bucks at the store. I told the 'inspector' a red flag was only 'required' for water skiing, that I was alone, no skis, no tow rope and 2 hp motor was not going to 'pull' (or push) anything more than a boat rated for 400#, BESIDES WHICH DVL is a no body contact lake where water skiing was not allowed. 'Inspector' INSISTED a 'red flag' was 'required' or no access.

Pissed me off - got a refund and left. Went to Perris next day, got 'inspected' in 10 minutes at the entrance booth at the ramp 5 minutes later.

Sent a politely worded 'nasty-gram' to MWD legal dept regarding the episode and got a polite letter of apology, with their 'intent to discuss' the matter with the concessionaire.

MWD spent a looong time (and a great deal of money on propaganda) seeking (pre-construction) 'approval' of the locals - touting the 'benefits' to local economies and all of the 'facilities' planned for 'recreation' - very few of which ever materialized.

While I think DVL is a great fishery with huge potential, MWD is leaving the day to day 'operations' in the hands of 'entrepreneurial' non-fishing amateurs who are more concerned with 'survival' income than they are in developing the fishing potential. Penny wise and dollar foolish.

been going since the second day it opened,love the lake.if night fishing was till 2 in the morning it would be nice like irvune lake.when we drive 240 miles round trip and it gets dark at nine off the water by 11.45 ,its not worth the drive to fish for less than 3 hours in the dark--extend the hours and we will drive------thank for this op to post this.

Couldn't agree more on the Trail fee BS for shore fishing. I'll gladly pay the trail pass fee if I could access the entire trail not 1.1 miles of shore line.

I however cant agree with making it a camping lake. Too much filth and ignorant human behavior happpens here in So. Cal during daylight hours and I'd hate to see the trash and graffiti, damaged or stolen rental boat/equipment, constant fishing violations and more fake DVL fish records. Sorry I see enough trash on shore, dont need to start seeing the diapers, empty bbq's, and broken beer bottles everywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishingkid97 View Post
    Great post Matt...

My couple complaints:
    1) I would like to see that the shore fisherman don't have to pay the trail pass that they added. I think the trail pass should be for the bicycles and joggers the fisherman already pay to fish and park.

2) I like the idea posted above about float tubes and sit on top kayaks with waders on to be legal.

3) the campground suggestion above is a great idea. I was told by an older guy he won't fish DVL because they did not hold up to what they showed in there plans.

Awesome thread! Glad it isn't being abused and people are posting their recommendations in a professional manner. I used to shore fish DVL a lot, but I haven't been back to the lake in almost a year for the following reasons.

1) very limited and difficult shoreline access, I'd much prefer a parking lot or some way to access more shore around the lake than just the small stretch that is allowed to fish right now

2) No float tube access, even the san diego resevoirs allow tubers so long as they wash their tubes at the facility and wear waders. Not everyone can afford a boat so many are resorting to float tubes and their a great fishing experience and I think a lot of business would be made should float tubes be allowed.

3) This is the biggest reason why I don't fish the lake and it's the fees. Not only are the boat rentals twice as much as Skinner and Perris, but they charge entrance fee, parking fee, and even a trail fee to shore fish so if I want to fish with a buddy it's almost 20 bucks for 2 people to fish when I can go to Skinner and pay $12 or Perris who only charges $10 for parking no matter how many people are fishing.

I also like the idea of a nearby campground but I already posted my 3 things. Thanks everyone!

How about a SENIOR DISCOUNT for us oldie's. lol

The shoreline is difficult even for the "30" year olds. My buddy, who is a FNN member, broke his ankle this past February trying to walk down to the shore. He failed to post that news when it happened...I guess he didn't want everyone to clown on him.
    Last edited by riverside_angler; 08-18-2013 at 10:37 AM.

I've fished DVL since about 2007 which is probably not as long as some. I've noticed considerable changes in the lake. Rates were increased to get the water level back up and didn't expect that to last forever but seems like a chunk of money on top of everything else just to go fishing. That ramp with the water level so low is a heart attack waiting to happen...LOL Don't seem to be any enforcement to speak of for fish taken out of the lake. Not sure of background reasons so can't really comment on the management company but seems to be lacking. Would not recommend a campground at the lake because of pollution...haven't seen any place in CA that cares about trash and pollution. No offense to the waders or kayaks but wouldn't prefer to see them on the lake unless they had a separate area dedicated only for them...would hate to see an accident with some of the speedsters out there.

Thanks Matt for the post and hope there can be some beneficial changes to improve the lake.
    Last edited by ezfishn; 08-18-2013 at 11:24 AM.

Matt ! I brought this up a little while back and got jumped on ! And when I jumped back because I have fished it with no problems until the Quagga ! Silence !

You had an AS_S whole doing inspections for a long time and it turned a lot people off Big Time ! You have to let them know that turd is gone !

You have to tell them that the guys that work there now are a blast ! Tell them it's fun again ! Tell the guy's The Mean Witch is gone Too !

People put up with a lot of guff ! I was mad ! I had a dry boat and was turned away ! Not once but four times ! I got turned away after my boat sat the whole Tuna season !

I got turned away one day with the Ranger and the next day with the Hardcore ! Was It just happening to me ! I felt like that until me along with the next three boats got turned down !

We wanted his AS_S and he ran like a little baby ! That was the last time I fish it until recently when I heard the dork and the witch were gone !

I trolled the lake with The Legend, Striper Only, Trout Only, Bob ! We could not keep the Green Bass off our lines ! People will come if you let them know it has changed for the

common people !

Corey

PS Tell the Big wigs to let us know when they turn the water on ! That is when the Striper bait bite go's off and every body go's to DVL ! Remember the masses outside the saddle dam and buoy lines !
    PS Tell the Big wigs the fisherman know there is Quagga in the lake !
    PS Tell the Big wigs there is poaching going on and nobody cares !
    PS Tell the Big wigs Handy Cap people fish too !

I met that quagga turd out there. I don't even need more info, I'm sure it has to be the same guy. I'm glad to hear that he's gone.

1) Make quagga inspections common throughout the state. Going that far in the middle of the night is a bummer when you get turned away because dew is forming on everything in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcor View Post
    Matt ! I brought this up a little while back and got jumped on ! And when I jumped back because I have fished it with no problems until the Quagga ! Silence !

You had an AS_S whole doing inspections for a long time and it turned a lot people off Big Time ! You have to let them know that turd is gone !

You have to tell them that the guys that work there now are a blast ! Tell them it's fun again ! Tell the guy's The Mean Witch is gone Too !

People put up with a lot of guff ! I was mad ! I had a dry boat and was turned away ! Not once but four times ! I got turned away after my boat sat the whole Tuna season !

I got turned away one day with the Ranger and the next day with the Hardcore ! Was It just happening to me ! I felt like that until me along with the next three boats got turned down !

We wanted his AS_S and he ran like a little baby ! That was the last time I fish it until recently when I heard the dork and the witch were gone !

I trolled the lake with The Legend, Striper Only, Trout Only, Bob ! We could not keep the Green Bass off our lines ! People will come if you let them know it has changed for the

common people !

Corey

PS Tell the Big wigs to let us know when they turn the water on ! That is when the Striper bait bite go's off and every body go's to DVL ! Remember the masses outside the saddle dam and buoy lines !
    PS Tell the Big wigs the fisherman know there is Quagga in the lake !
    PS Tell the Big wigs there is poaching going on and nobody cares !
    PS Tell the Big wigs Handy Cap people fish too !
    great points man. yeah the whole atmosphere at the lake is defintely 110 times better. although i personally never really had any issues, a few of my friends were in the same boat as you. they just couldnt get their boats passed for anything. and ended up fishing elsewhere. since the lake has found a solid system my friends are back fishing dvl and happy campers.

this is sweet everybody is laying it out there. this is exactly what we need. who knows this all may be a lost cause but at least were all doing our part in trying to make change happen.

great job guys, thank you!

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast