Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: recommendations to make the lake a more pleasant experience:

ShellBack USNRET "Float tubes and kayaks at DVL, WOW. I'm not a hater and to each it's own. I never fished from the shore, but I sure recall that DVL is known for those white cap type afternoon winds. Spent most of my life in the Navy and one thing I don't under estimate is the power of wind and water. If you get your wish with those tubes and kayaks. Be smart!"

Be smart? Nope that's for boaters we all know that kayak and float tubers are total idiots right?

DVL has nothing on Crowley and even Silverwood. The key would be to only allow access to a portion of the lake as far as tubes go, kayaks can handle a little more but if you do either and don't follow weather reports then you are being foolish if you fish big water. Are tubers and yakr's any dumber than some of the boat operators out there?

well since i mainly fish the shore i would like to see a few more treah cans around the shore areas. to the east there is only one by the out house, i only know of three to the west but i could be wrong. they could have the 502 crew grab them on their rounds i doubt if the cans would ever be to full to carry. the trail fee blows cause there are very few trails even at full pool. i guess they consider the ROAD a trail but that is never near the water except in one spot. for not having that many shore fisherman there is sure alot of trash.

Quote Originally Posted by tall tales View Post
    well since i mainly fish the shore i would like to see a few more treah cans around the shore areas. to the east there is only one by the out house, i only know of three to the west but i could be wrong. they could have the 502 crew grab them on their rounds i doubt if the cans would ever be to full to carry. the trail fee blows cause there are very few trails even at full pool. i guess they consider the ROAD a trail but that is never near the water except in one spot. for not having that many shore fisherman there is sure alot of trash.
    Lot's of Ninja evidence around the lake...

I've never been fishing there since they don't allow
    1. Sit On Top Kayaks
    2. Just got a boat with a 75 horse 2 stroke and found out I can't use that their either (guessing this won't change, but why not sit on top kayaks?)

i know i'm going to take heat and people will bash me for this statement but, sit on top kayaks, float tubing and wading in general all fall into the category of body contact which the lake and mwd stood strictly against since day one. otherwise they would have opened it up originally. thats what i was told the lower lakes were to be used for. while it sucks, i doubt the lake would allow it now. the argument of waders could be given and has been in the past but it usually never goes anywhere. the moment the body contact argument is brought up then in my opinion sorta opens the doors for various other avenues besides fishing. take water skiing for example. say a guy is fully covered and is skiing around the lake, which the lake could support, then falls in the water. technically he's still covered much like a guy in waders. how would it be okay for him to be allowed access and not a tuber? or vise versa? why would it be fair for the tuber to be allowed to touch the water and not the water skier? somewhat of a double standard. very tough nut to crack but i suppose it could be possible. i personally could care less. let the tube guys on. i wouldnt care.

as always i play the devils advocate when it comes to rules out there and the lake in general. while i cant stand most of the rules and think a lot are rediculous and bull...; i can understand some of them.

I think my original post got deleted, or I didn't do it right.

Plant some trees. It's unbearably hot to catfish that lake in summer. There is no shade anywhere. Eucalyptus trees survive floods and drought. Plant a few of those along the shore fishing areas of the lake. They don't cost much, weeds won't grow under them, and if you ever need to trim them, you can throw the logs right into the water, creating cover for the fish to hide in. I would love some trees.

I am the Lorax, I speak for the trees!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_Magnone View Post
    the moment the body contact argument is brought up then in my opinion sorta opens the doors for various other avenues besides fishing. take water skiing for example. say a guy is fully covered and is skiing around the lake, which the lake could support, then falls in the water. technically he's still covered much like a guy in waders. how would it be okay for him to be allowed access and not a tuber? or vise versa? why would it be fair for the tuber to be allowed to touch the water and not the water skier? somewhat of a double standard. very tough nut to crack but i suppose it could be possible. i personally could care less. let the tube guys on. i wouldnt care.

as always i play the devils advocate when it comes to rules out there and the lake in general. while i cant stand most of the rules and think a lot are rediculous and bull...; i can understand some of them.
    Ok this is the kind of logic that they may use that makes no sense. Many lakes don't allow water skiers but allow float tubes and kayaks. Water skiers need a higher speed limit not present at DVL, many lakes have certain areas for water skiing only. To equate water skiing to float tubing or kayaking is not even apples to oranges!

I understand you are only trying to interpret the purpose for certain rules at the lake and not necessarily defending them.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandoncrow123 View Post
    I think my original post got deleted, or I didn't do it right.

Plant some trees. It's unbearably hot to catfish that lake in summer. There is no shade anywhere. Eucalyptus trees survive floods and drought. Plant a few of those along the shore fishing areas of the lake. They don't cost much, weeds won't grow under them, and if you ever need to trim them, you can throw the logs right into the water, creating cover for the fish to hide in. I would love some trees.

I am the Lorax, I speak for the trees!
    I agree. Lots of dead trees under the water, none above the waterline. Maybe organize a few volunteer days/ a spare the air day/ Earth day or plant a tree day?

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011