Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: recommendations to make the lake a more pleasant experience:

Default recommendations to make the lake a more pleasant experience:

as many of you know, ive done a great deal to try and keep people pumped on diamond valley lake. a lot of my time and energy on my days off have gone into sharing new bites, creating videos and helping others understand our fishery. by all means i'm no expert, but i have spent a great deal of time on the water there. as of lately its obvious through this, and other, forums people are feeling a little "off" with it. im watching attendance diminish and i know its more than the fishing. i hear my share of opinions but this is YOUR time to be vocal. the lake as well as the higher powers have been looking into ways to make the lake a more enjoyable experience. a lot has been changed in the last year up at the lake as far as the atmosphere goes. while things are changing, there are better ways im sure to keep people wanting to come back.

although it hasnt been brought to public forum until now, this is your personal opportunity to voice your opinion on what you like at the lake or what you think the lake should look into changing for the upcoming year. im sure i'll get "talked to" about this post, but it needs to be written and people cant be afraid to just take charge and do it.

please voice your opinions in a polite manner as us anglers are the voice of the lake. if we respond in a way showing MWD and the lake that we're ungrateful, rude or ignorant we'll never be taken seriously.

please list your "3" most important things you would like the lake to look into. it could be something as stupid as how you dislike the restrooms, boat rentals, parking etc.

i'll start:

1. a lot of shore anglers complain that its a chore to walk the shoreline. while the majority of shore anglers are between 20 & 30 its not too too bad, but the elderly people have a hard time getting around and many choose not to visit the lake as a result. i would like to see in the future a dock or them to find a place to sit and fish.
    2. many anglers love the idea that the lake is open at night the first friday of every month. the fact that the amount of boats showing up doesnt reflect it, i would like to see this opened up to once a week in the summer months. many people have hectic schedules and just cannot commit in advance. others, plan to take the summer off due to the heat based on medical conditions or what not. if the lake ran a once a week deal it would give the majority of anglers the chance to take advantage of something fun. more opportunities to fish when its cooler at night will make more people look forward to going to the lake.
    3. metropolitan and the lake being more vocal to the public about current events.

-why is the lake going down?
      -how low do we expect it to go?
      -what events are being ran?
      -why is the algae the way it is?

there are a lot of questions the public has with nobody to give them the answers they need. lets face it. were all experts whether we like to admit it or not. we all have opinions and all seem to "know" whats going on. when we have a HUGE amount of people that are all networked its easy to spread inaccurate information or rumors when there's nobody to give the straight to the point truth. the truth is accepted ; speculation starts a tornado of rumors.

i realize i'm opening a can of worms but this is LONG overdue.

-matt

First off, thank you Matt for getting this post started. I agree, it's important for MWD to hear from the community of anglers and others that use the lake.

1. A boat slip marina was part of the original plans when the lake was proposed. Residents of Hemet were sold on the opportunities the new lake would provide. Unfortunately, only the launch ramp and fishing access have reached fruition. A marina with boat slips (with electricity), docks, restrooms, etc., would, in my opinion, raise the use of the lake along with a steady stream of revenues being generated from monthly and yearly slip rentals. I, and many others locals, would keep our boats there year-round.

2. I second the once a week night fishing opportunities for the same reasons you described.

3. Campground facilities near the lake. This was also a portion of the lake development plan. Again, this would increase the use of the lake, generate a steady stream of revenue for both MWD, local businesses, and the City of Hemet.

Again, thanks Matt for getting this thread started!
    Carlos
    Last edited by EL JEFE; 08-17-2013 at 10:37 AM.

I for one cannot fish diamond valley. They have no way for a Disabled person to fish it
    The ramp is way to far to walk. No parking near the shoreline for disabled.
    No float tube access
    The Shoreline should be open to all. Not just the Young people who are not disabled.
    lake Perris has shore parking for those who cannot walk 100 yards or more.
    Even lake Isabella and Crowley have areas that a disabled person can park next to the shoreline

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_Magnone View Post
    as many of you know, ive done a great deal to try and keep people pumped on diamond valley lake. a lot of my time and energy on my days off have gone into sharing new bites, creating videos and helping others understand our fishery. by all means i'm no expert, but i have spent a great deal of time on the water there. as of lately its obvious through this, and other, forums people are feeling a little "off" with it. im watching attendance diminish and i know its more than the fishing. i hear my share of opinions but this is YOUR time to be vocal. the lake as well as the higher powers have been looking into ways to make the lake a more enjoyable experience. a lot has been changed in the last year up at the lake as far as the atmosphere goes. while things are changing, there are better ways im sure to keep people wanting to come back.

although it hasnt been brought to public forum until now, this is your personal opportunity to voice your opinion on what you like at the lake or what you think the lake should look into changing for the upcoming year. im sure i'll get "talked to" about this post, but it needs to be written and people cant be afraid to just take charge and do it.

please voice your opinions in a polite manner as us anglers are the voice of the lake. if we respond in a way showing MWD and the lake that we're ungrateful, rude or ignorant we'll never be taken seriously.

please list your "3" most important things you would like the lake to look into. it could be something as stupid as how you dislike the restrooms, boat rentals, parking etc.

i'll start:

1. a lot of shore anglers complain that its a chore to walk the shoreline. while the majority of shore anglers are between 20 & 30 its not too too bad, but the elderly people have a hard time getting around and many choose not to visit the lake as a result. i would like to see in the future a dock or them to find a place to sit and fish.
    2. many anglers love the idea that the lake is open at night the first friday of every month. the fact that the amount of boats showing up doesnt reflect it, i would like to see this opened up to once a week in the summer months. many people have hectic schedules and just cannot commit in advance. others, plan to take the summer off due to the heat based on medical conditions or what not. if the lake ran a once a week deal it would give the majority of anglers the chance to take advantage of something fun. more opportunities to fish when its cooler at night will make more people look forward to going to the lake.
    3. metropolitan and the lake being more vocal to the public about current events.

-why is the lake going down?
      -how low do we expect it to go?
      -what events are being ran?
      -why is the algae the way it is?

there are a lot of questions the public has with nobody to give them the answers they need. lets face it. were all experts whether we like to admit it or not. we all have opinions and all seem to "know" whats going on. when we have a HUGE amount of people that are all networked its easy to spread inaccurate information or rumors when there's nobody to give the straight to the point truth. the truth is accepted ; speculation starts a tornado of rumors.

i realize i'm opening a can of worms but this is LONG overdue.

-matt

Allow float tubes!

My only question would be why are the boat rentals so expensive compared to somewhere like lake Perris?

When the floating out houses are out of order put some kind of sign on them saying so. I almost left a nasty present for them on the deck not too long ago. Other than that I love that lake and everything about it. What ever they decide to do is cool with me as long as I can launch my boat and fish any time I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Perris_holic View Post
    My only question would be why are the boat rentals so expensive compared to somewhere like lake Perris?
    On the lake Perris site it says that a basic boat is $80.00 all day, if that is true then DVL has lower prices on their basic 16 ft. Lund that comes with a near new 20 horse four stroke. $72 all day with parking and you can get 25% off on Tues. and Thurs. coupons. They also have 50% off on Wednesdays, so you can have the boat all day for under $40. That seems like a pretty good deal compared to other places I have rented. I will say that their old basics need some TLC to help bring them back to life, they are looking pretty tired these days.

Much respect to you Matt, your the only reason the DVL section lives on FNN. I'm a DVL angler since opening day and I drive 150 miles to fish her. Ive seen this place go down hill over the years and its all a mangement issue.

On to business:
    Change opening hours like Skinner, Castaic, etc. Early Am bite could be extended for all.

Fire everyone and start with a lake manager who's interest is in the lake thriving and not about $$$$.

Either open up the entire lake to shore fishing or NO BOATS from the East dam corner (marina side) across the marina to the current "NO FISHING" sign. NO CASTING, NO GRAPHING, NO TROLLING, NO DIPPING BAIT, NO GUIDES, NO EXCUSES STAY OUT! Boat fishing begins from the attenuator.

Accurate stock, fishing information and current lake conditions not 2 week old news like its been.

Go back to stocking with boats to spread the bite out and STOP the pet feeding at the marina.

Hire lake personnel who will give out citations and enforce rules, laws, etc. I'm sick and tired of watching lake personnel allow certain people to fish off the marina dock, use live Trout, live Bluegill, live bass, live Catfish. If you got banned from DVL, you should stay banned, your records dont count.

Float tube and sit on top kayaks allowed with waders or equivelant only. Zero contact rules still apply per MWD.

Monthly night fishing events. Maybe try some shore people too. We could bid on tickets, allow a limit of 30 as a trial period and see where it goes. If the shore idiots leave trash, violate rules and cause problems during trial, cancel the shore fishing.

Morning line up should separate boaters from non boaters. No point in making shore anglers wait in the launch line.

Disabled access marina ramp for "DISABLED ONLY". Cheaters will be cited.

TOO much to list on here, lets get DVL back to a respected lake and not what its become. Boaters and non boaters alike.

thank you guys for being polite in the thread. this is absolutely the kind of replies that will get our messages across. very good ideas as well. i really like the idea of a ramp or dock in the immediate marina only offered to disabled indviduals. they could be allowed to park on the launch ramp out of the way. thats definitely something for the lake to think about!

Great post Matt...

My couple complaints:
    1) I would like to see that the shore fisherman don't have to pay the trail pass that they added. I think the trail pass should be for the bicycles and joggers the fisherman already pay to fish and park.

2) I like the idea posted above about float tubes and sit on top kayaks with waders on to be legal.

3) the campground suggestion above is a great idea. I was told by an older guy he won't fish DVL because they did not hold up to what they showed in there plans.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast