Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Castaic Late Report 8/9 and 8/11

Default Castaic Late Report 8/9 and 8/11

As on one of my last furlough days (8/9), hit the lake with my wife and her friend. Ran to the bouy line but didn't get any action B/W'n. Saw some top water busting near the shore line in a small cove, so I motored over to see what was going on, through a top water bait and got a LMB to smash it. Not excactly what I was looking for, but hey I didn't get any hits in the previous 1.5 hours. So, can't complain. Tossed it back and moved to fish arm, nothing much going on back there. So, make another move to the ski arm and anchored up. Met a guy Named Dave, he anchored up next to me and we trade lessons learned. Anyways, pulled in two striper dinks. An hour before we leave my wife sets the hook and line peels, she is battling, then I tell her I am not sure what you got, but its big, I think its a Cat fish. She is a little let down, cuz she wants a big striper. 10 minutes later, she pulls in a close to 7lb Cat.

8/11, we hit the lake, but the line was crazy and didn't get on to the water til about 7:30. This time we stayed in one bait spot. I down sized my line to 6lb test, sometimes just fly lining with no weight, and others with a 1/8 oz egg sinker. We manage 8, with losing 3 at the boat and a lot of missed strikes. So, I learned that currently the striper are very skiddish any fealt weight they would spit it out, they weren't slaming the bait. So, had to keep my rod in hand and feel the taps and set the hook. We fished in 80 ft of water, with only 3 of the fish caught off the bottom. The rest were caught in 10-30 ft of water. They were near the surface, as I could see them occasionally striking my bait as it slowly sank. End of the day My wife pulls in 3 and I get 5.

Last edited by 661Bass'n; 08-13-2013 at 09:29 AM.

That sounds like a couple of good days. Congrats!