Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Breaking News: Silverwood Lake Polluted

ok I must've been in a rush to head out for dinner...

I mistakenly posted above (now corrected) that the mean mercury concentration for the striped bass was relatively high compared to the other species sampled in Silverwood... when in fact, the striped bass had the HIGHEST mean mercury concentration at 1002 ppb. Look at Table 2, page 5 for yourself.

http://www.oehha.ca.gov/fish/special...erwoodLake.pdf

and yes this seems like the strictest recommendation they've come out with so far... what lake is next???

I haven't gone to Silverwood lake since I was maybe 10y/o when I went camping with my parents... just a bit too far for me to go striper fishing there anyways...

Also, reading a little more of Statewide report... it seems likely that striped bass was not part of the statewide recommendations since "OEHHA established the following criteria to determine which species had adequate sample data to include in the statewide advisory dataset"

--samples collected within the area where CDFW reported fishing sites of the species
    --samples collected within the biogeographic range of the species
    --for species with a statewide range:
    a) samples from the geographic jurisdictions of more than 5 regional water boards
    b) data from more than 100 samples or 50 lakes

so I don't think they could gather enough striper samples from such a broad area with more than 100 samples or 50 lakes (I don't think stripers are even found in 50 lakes)...

by the way, here's the recommendation for pyramid lake: no mention of striped bass, but they do not recommend women 18-45 and children 1-17 to eat "bass". http://www.oehha.ca.gov/fish/so_cal/...dlake2013.html

same goes for Magic Johnson Lakes
    Last edited by dkinla; 08-08-2013 at 09:47 PM.

I had mentioned it in a previous thread about the Salton Sea.

My sister works in a testing lab, although at her particular lab they dont test for mercury and pcb, they do at her HQ in out of state.
    She had mentioned that she could get me a discount on testing.

So I would put it out here again, if people are willing to chip in with $ and specimens, we could get an actual unbiased test done and see if how accurate those reports are.

I have not asked her to find out how much testing would run, since last time no one seemed interested, dont want her to waste her and her corworker's time coming up with a quote.

-bb

I read the advisories, did anyone else notice this?

Eat only the skinless fillet.
    PCBs are in the fat and skin of the fish
    Remove and throw away the skin before cooking
    Cook thoroughly and allow the juices to drain away

I've always filleted my fish as well as removed all the fat.

For Seal.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassnman Mike View Post

Yup. Seems like PCBs (especially in fish caught from surf zone) are concentrated in the skin/fat. Mercury, however, is in the meat/protein.

Damn Liberals! lol......"Larger Brown Trout" ...I hear Perris has an abundance of those in the swim area!!

Quote Originally Posted by DockRat View Post
    For Seal.

Video made me hungry....

Quote Originally Posted by Bassnman Mike View Post

I always fillet and remove skin and fat also, of course some have challenged me on that saying you're wasting fish.

You just can't win!

Back to eating fish without worry, thanks Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by blackberg View Post
    I had mentioned it in a previous thread about the Salton Sea.

My sister works in a testing lab, although at her particular lab they dont test for mercury and pcb, they do at her HQ in out of state.
    She had mentioned that she could get me a discount on testing.

So I would put it out here again, if people are willing to chip in with $ and specimens, we could get an actual unbiased test done and see if how accurate those reports are.

I have not asked her to find out how much testing would run, since last time no one seemed interested, dont want her to waste her and her corworker's time coming up with a quote.

-bb
    I'd toss in a buck or 2 but I think we need to know the cost to even determine if it was feasible. Also sure would be nice to see a test done on the actual meat only without skin and fat trimmed could make these "recommendations" completely inaccurate.

Were all gonna DIE, oh the HORROR. Gotta eat more BACON the end is near. lol

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast