Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Breaking News: Silverwood Lake Polluted

Those guys need to guide since they are catching all 22" stripers out of Silverwood. HAHA. Everyone else seems to be catching 8" to 12".

2. Default

For those eager to consume Silverwood's tasty Stripers, would you feel comfortable having your pregnant wife or small children eat them alongside you?
    That's the big question here. While I admire the chest thumping attitude, I don't think the population of this message board is quite as susceptible to the effects of mercury as women of childbearing age and children.

Quote Originally Posted by carpanglerdude View Post
    For those eager to consume Silverwood's tasty Stripers, would you feel comfortable having your pregnant wife or small children eat them alongside you?.
    They better catch their own if they want their fix of mercury.

This here striper skin and fat is all mine.

As I wrote in the other recent post on this topic, these are only advisories. The authors are NOT calling for big government to prevent people from eating contaminated fish. The gist of the report is that people in sensitive groups (women of child-bearing age and those who are young adults and younger) should avoid eating predatory fish like LMB or stripers because of the effects of bio-concentration of toxins like mercury and PCBs. This is because mercury wreaks irreversible havoc on developing nervous systems. The article only recommends this and doesn't talk about governmental restrictions. I did not get the feeling that it is The Man wanting to hash on our mellow. I wonder if the authors' findings were that all fish were safe to eat, would the be the same level of distrust exist?

The effects of mercury, especially organo-mercury compounds, and their levels of toxicity are well-established in the science and public health community Just Google Minamata Bay or Minamata Disease to see the effects of mercury on a developing nervous system. Bring this article to any doctor he or she will agree with the recommendation whether or not that doctor is a flaming liberal MSMBC watcher or a right-wing Fox News follower.

Sorry for the rant. I work in the scientific world and really hate when science is politicized. *Not saying that science is always right, but done right it is one of the few objective methods to find the truth and is willing to correct itself when proven wrong. *
    Last edited by GhettoBasster; 08-10-2013 at 01:58 PM.

GhettoBasster science is being politicized and that's part of my contention. I'm glad you feel it should not be politicized.

Do you agree though that some scientists may use these health concerns to keep them employed and the grant money flowing? This is not a condemnation of all of science in any shape or form but as an example there is no doubt that climate change is politicized by some in the science world (no matter which side of the fence you sit on) and I believe the same of some of these health study's, that's what causes the boy who cry's wolf type reaction from some of us. Constant study's like "coffee is bad, no coffee is good" as an example (how many contradicting study's do you hear in the media?), seems everything is bad for us I don't know why our lifespans keep increasing we should all be dead! So if this is a serious concern it gets watered down by the history of so many conflicting and politicized scientific study's.

Not saying the study is wrong just unfortunately I have study overload!

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    GhettoBasster science is being politicized and that's part of my contention. I'm glad you feel it should not be politicized.

Do you agree though that some scientists may use these health concerns to keep them employed and the grant money flowing? This is not a condemnation of all of science in any shape or form but as an example there is no doubt that climate change is politicized by some in the science world (no matter which side of the fence you sit on) and I believe the same of some of these health study's, that's what causes the boy who cry's wolf type reaction from some of us. Constant study's like "coffee is bad, no coffee is good" as an example (how many contradicting study's do you hear in the media?), seems everything is bad for us I don't know why our lifespans keep increasing we should all be dead! So if this is a serious concern it gets watered down by the history of so many conflicting and politicized scientific study's.

Not saying the study is wrong just unfortunately I have study overload!
    Hey Seal, I appreciate where you are coming from. Unfortunately, there have been instances where things like money or job security have influenced "scientific" studies or findings. Everyone should scrutinize the results of any scientific findings. That's how science progresses and weeds out bad conclusions and faulty scientific experiments. The "discovery" of Cold Fusion and the faster-than-light particle (both proven to be the result of a flawed experiments) come to mind as two examples of this. Then there are researchers that simply falsify data for their own gain. It happens. That's why the results of any scientific experiment should be repeatable by other independent studies before they are considered to be legitimate. Unfortunately, the high mercury levels in top predator fish in our local SoCal lakes such as Silverwood have been demonstrated by many studies that have been done over many years. I am not happy about the findings. I love catching and eating Silverwood Stripers too. I will eat them but in moderation. Like I wrote in the other post, it's the dose of toxin that kills you; not the toxin itself. Now that said, what are we supposed to do with the Stripers we catch? I always hear that they are bad for the LBM population and should be killed. Are we supposed to keep them and throw them way when we get home? We can't give them away since we would be guilty of poisoning someone -right? The situation sucks.
    Last edited by GhettoBasster; 08-10-2013 at 11:41 PM.

I am working on getting pricing info,

-bb

Quote Originally Posted by blackberg View Post
    I am working on getting pricing info,

-bb
    Do they also do paternity testing? I'm asking "for a friend."

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    Do they also do paternity testing? I'm asking "for a friend."
    No, but they can find out what mold and bacteria are on your food and home:D

So here it goes:
    PCB testing: $175 per sample
    Mercury Testing: $75 per sample
    Plus shipping to the East Coast.

Results back in about 2 weeks.

For less than a Grand (doing 3 tests each) and 2 weeks, we could get unbiased results.

-bb

Oh and I can provide my boat and camera work to document everything, from catching to sending samples out.

-bb

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast