Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Breaking News: Silverwood Lake Polluted

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Breaking News: Silverwood Lake Polluted

For people who eat fish out of Silverwood Lake

The state today, Aug. 7, issued a more stringent fish consumption advisory for Silverwood Lake in the San Bernardino Mountains because of high levels of mercury and toxic PCBs.

The guidelines from the Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment recommend that everyone avoid eating striped bass, blackfish and tui chub from the reservoir.
    Fish in Silverwood Lake in San Bernardino County contains high levels of mercury and PCBs.

Fish in Silverwood Lake in San Bernardino County contains high levels of mercury and PCBs.
    FILE PHOTO/THE PRESS-ENTERPRISE

The advisory, which will be posted in kiosks in the state park, is available here.

The amped-up warning follows a widespread advisory last week for bass, carp and larger brown trout at all lakes and reservoirs in the state. The advisory was based on test data from 272 lakes and reservoirs, including 19 in Riverside and San Bernardino counties, and more than 2,600 individual fish samples from popular angling spots, including Big Bear Lake, Lake Arrowhead and the eastern Sierra Nevada.

The state went a step further for Silverwood Lake. Women of child-bearing age and children should also avoid eating any largemouth bass, bluegill or channel catfish caught there. Men over 17 and women older than 45 can eat one serving per week of those species.

Rainbow trout from the lake have much lower levels of contaminants and can be safely eaten up to seven times per week by all groups, state health officials said. Tule perch consumption should be limited to one serving per week.

The advisory is based on sampling of more than 100 fish. Some species were also tested for pesticides, including chlordanes, DDTs, and dieldrin, but none was detected at levels high enough to cause health concerns, state officials said.

Fish tissue samples did contain methylmercury, a form of mercury created when it reacts with bacteria in the water.

Mercury in the environmental comes from historic gold-mining operations and is carried in air emissions from coal burning and possibly cement plants, even from distant locations. It can harm the brain and nervous system, particularly in fetuses and children.

PCBs, or polychlorinated biphenyls, are heat-tolerant chemicals used in electronics. They are linked to cancer and other health problems, according to the state Water Resources Control Board.

Contaminants that fall or flow into a lake move up the food chain, concentrating in larger species of fish.

Silverwood Lake is a man-made reservoir that stores drinking water for San Bernardino and Metropolitan Water District, the wholesaler for Southern California. It is overseen by the state Department of Water Resources.

“Water delivered from Silverwood Lake is still considered safe to drink after processing in a water treatment plant. Water quality continues to be tested on a monthly basis,” said Jeffrey Janik, program manager for the water quality section at the Department of Water Resources.

sources: http://blog.pe.com/2013/08/07/pollut...lverwood-lake/

We're all gonna die!

But I'm a bit confused earlier thread indicated no samplings of striped bass now stripers are the only fish to reach this level of warning?

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/sho...wn-trout/page3

"I took a few minutes last Friday and actually spoke to one of the lead scientists/authors on this study.. his name is Robert K. Brodberg (Ph.D.). You can actually talk to him (or anyone else on the study I'm sure if you look them up here: http://calepa.ca.gov/StaffDirectory/default.asp?BDO=6

He was really friendly to talk to.. very knowledgeable in his field... and very talkative. I asked him what he thought about the striped bass population and why they were not included in this study. He basically said the striped bass wasn't really taken into consideration in this particular study because of the way the study was designed and something about not having enough resources to actually catch striped bass in addition to the other fish that were taken for sampling."
    Last edited by seal; 08-08-2013 at 03:38 PM.

It is interesting to me that the only article I can find on this is a blog from PE. Now having said that it still wouldn't surprise me if it's true, nothing in California ever surprises me, but I'd like to better understand if it is true why Silverwood has such an elevated issue with mercury?

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    It is interesting to me that the only article I can find on this is a blog from PE. Now having said that it still wouldn't surprise me if it's true, nothing in California ever surprises me, but I'd like to better understand if it is true why Silverwood has such an elevated issue with mercury?
    I was saying the same thing too this was the only article i saw unless its not that important to residents but for us fishermen it is

Quote Originally Posted by fishing_freak View Post
    I was saying the same thing too this was the only article i saw unless its not that important to residents but for us fishermen it is
    Yea and doing a little bit of research on the author makes me wonder where she's coming from, but we'll see, I can't make it up to the lake tonight but will be there tomorrow and ask around.

Thanks for the link and thread!

According to the map in this link the state is peppered with mercury mines.

ok folks, I don't have time right now to go into detail... have to head out for dinner...

but I was confused at first with this new Silverwood lake advisory...

but if you dig into the STATEWIDE advisory report and the Silverwood lake advisory report... you'll see that in the STATEWIDE advisory, they did not include any striped bass samples... perhaps they did not have enough samples from enough lakes.. in order to come up with meaningful recommendations.

here's the statewide report again: http://www.oehha.ca.gov/fish/pdf/CAL...sory080113.pdf
    look at the Table 2, page 13

However, in the Silverwood lake report, they were able to include 8 striped bass samples from the RBW-6 study collected in 2011.
    http://www.oehha.ca.gov/fish/special...erwoodLake.pdf (Table 2, Page 5)

Unfortunately, if you look at page 5, Table 2, striped bass had the highest mean concentration of mercury out of the 11 species of fish they sampled from Silverwood.

Anyways, I love me some striped bass... but perhaps not too many from Silverwood lake

I'm going to try to talk to Robert Brodberg (one of the lead authors) again and ask about this to clear up any confusion I had from last week... and to see if they have enough data to issue specific recommendations for Castaic or Pyramid too. When I spoke to him last week, he probably was trying to tell me that they didn't include stripers in the STATEWIDE study since they probably didn't have enough data to do that. However, on a lake to lake basis, in the cases where they did have enough stripers in the data set, then they could come to a meaningful recommendation if it was needed.
    Last edited by dkinla; 08-08-2013 at 09:47 PM.