Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: El Centro Trip

Default El Centro Trip

I,m heading down to el centro and calexico to do a little dove hunting, and at times it gets a little slow. so im wondering if theres any canals that hold fish around there that hold some cats or striper. Any help would be apreciated.

Check Duct replies.
    Isn't Dove season in Sept ?
    DR

Yeah but im asking now so that i can plan my trip accordingly

If you're chasing after cats in the area, bring heavy gears. They're between 15lbs to 50lbs flatheads. They will turn your bass gears into broken sticks. Fish for small live tilapias, anything from 3" to 6". Make sure to bring a bubblers to keep the fingerlings alive throughout the day. They will die pretty quick if in the warm water bucket. Need lots and lots of air introduced into the bucket/cooler.

Here are some hot areas to attack:

1. Take the 111 south, and go through the town of Calipatria. It's about 30 minutes from Salton Sea HQ. As you pass Calipatria along 111, you'll see 115. Go pass 115, and there will be a dairy farm on your left just a few minutes. As you drive, pay extreme close attention to a large draining channel roughly 100 to 150 feet as you pass the dairy farm last cow's stalls. That is the Alamo River/Drainage. If you happen to pass a rest stop on your left, you've gone just about 75 feet too far from the channel.

The Alamo River

Best time to attack this long stretch of the drainage is really early in the morning (12 to 6AM), or late in the day (7 to 12AM). Some got lucky and hauled out a few 30lbs around 8AM.

2. However, if you want to constantly have a supply of small, and huge, tilapia (which I don't recommend eating at this southern location), you can station out at the Black Rock near Red Hill Marina.

Red Hill Marina

The bridge that crosses over the Alamo, and trapped the catfishes that swam downstream and unable to get back upstream are here. Keep moving from this bridge and back upstream. There are plenty of good spots where the catfishes stake out as the tilapia swims up the Alamo, when the River dumps directly into the Salton Sea. The closes cross streets are Red Hill Rd and Garst Rd. if you need it for GPS.

The guys there we talked to recommended to fish near the bends of the river, where there are shores you can get yourself down into to haul the monsters out, which one of it is near Simpson Rd:

One of many bends

If you're looking for that Black Rock, it's here: Black Rock

Tilapia here are between 3 to 6lbs. They gotten overgrown due to minimal fishing activities. Eating them? Best not.

AsianGuy,

Are there any catfish left in the canals in Calipat off the 115? I have gone down there four times in the last 4 months and have not caught anything since the first week of April. I have been fly-lining shrimp and chicken livers with no luck. Any advice on what I am doing wrong? Thanks

Default fishing the alamo river

Quote Originally Posted by Thatguy47 View Post
    I,m heading down to el centro and calexico to do a little dove hunting, and at times it gets a little slow. so im wondering if theres any canals that hold fish around there that hold some cats or striper. Any help would be apreciated.
    I would not eat any fish out of the alamo river ( oversizedd drain ditch) . The alamo river is a drain ditch for all irrigation run off . So i must say the fishing is good , but as far as eating them negative. I was born and raised in imperial valley and still go back to hunt and fish . There are plenty of other fishing options , there are a few county and state lakes. Plenty of canals to enjoy . Ramer and finney lakes, wiest and sunbeam lakes , all american canal , west main canal , and of course highland and coechella canals . Enjoy this hidden beauty and please respect signage .

yumabassman.com