Hit up the wood for the first time this year after taking a bit of a break from my fishing obsession. My friend Phil and I launched at 6am and headed toward the far side coves (near the dam) and started with a little top water while the sun was still down behind the hillside. We had a few short strikes and a few followers, but no takers. Once the sun crested the hill, we began throwing power worms, chigger craws and some drop shot flukes. I managed 2 LMB just barely 15" and 1 under, while Phil had 3 smaller takers on the fluke and 2 smallish keepers on what was I think a tube. All these fish were holding where the vertical rock walls met the weed line. As the day progressed and the sun moved up in the sky things slowed to a crawl. I moved the boat over near Sycamore and around the bend toward the main channel and managed 1 more decent 18" LMB hiding next to some submerged timber. From that point till about 3:45 it came to a halt, but it wasn't without trying. We hit alot of my favorite spots which returned nothing except a bunch of dink stripers around 8" that were schooling near Chamise cove.
Being Phil's first time on a boat at the wood, I was a little discouraged that I wasn't able to put him on the fish like I had hoped to, but around 4, in the wind, like a switch, it all picked back up. Working the wall in Millers, Phil managed 3 nice keepers on the tube while I played one that came off at the boat on a brush hog. With our day winding down we made our way from Millers to Cleghorn and passed by the launchramp where I nailed 2 nice 3-4 lber's on a chigger craw in 18' of water. Once in Cleghorn we worked the south side weed line and Phil crushed it landing 3 more really nice LMB 18" or better, while I only had one bump.

Hungry and tired, we called it a day. Phil was satisfied with his catch and I was stoked that he had such a great time minus the 4 hrs of nothingness during the high sun period of the day. I am very happy and fortunate to have Silverwood as my home lake, and Lake Perris just an hour away! Can't wait for the top water bite to come on in Sept./Oct.

See ya'll out there!! Tight lines. BK