Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 7/30 New Lo An

When you are fighting a fish with a conventional reel do you need to control the line lay with your thumb?

Great trip Christoph. I went on the Pacific Queen 1 1/2 fishing on the 7//24 and had similar results. Boat ended up with 130 blufin, 60 plus yellowtails and handful of dodos. The blufin ranged between 25-40 lbs. As the day progress they got larger. There were a few 50 plus landed. The jackpot went for 80lbs. Lots of anglers where wiped out after landing these fish all day. A few of the 50 plus where landed by the deckhands since the anglers simply gave up handed the rod over. After landing 3 blufin between 30-40lbs. I went to my heavy duty 2 speed reel with forty lb test without flouro. These blufin bit the straight 40 lbs test mono. I ended up with 4 blufin 30lbs-40lbs and 3 yellowtails. Lost 3 more.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Dog View Post
    Yeah, nice video --- Too bad it had the gansta rap BS on it with the f bombs, n word and female dog references. Guess you didn't want any member's kids or younger members to see this? Seems to me if you were typing any (or all) of those words in your post the mods would likely suspend or ban you. I know you said that if we didn't like it we could turn it down but you should have warned that the language was inappropriate for younger people or to watch at work, you could get someone fired if the wrong person walked by someone's desk at the wrong time.

OK, flame suit on...those that disagree go ahead and flame me.
    With all thats going on in today's environment and what's on our televisions ("16 and pregnant for example"), I'm sure our youth wouldn't be too offended by this genre of music. I did put a disclaimer.. I also inputed the artist's name so if you were familiar with Jigga Man aka HOV aka JAY Z, you'd know what to expect with his lyrics. Sorry if it offended you.

Quote Originally Posted by Perris_holic View Post
    When you are fighting a fish with a conventional reel do you need to control the line lay with your thumb?
    I dont know why I do that but its a bad habit. Adds just that little extra tension.

Quote Originally Posted by shiromaguro88 View Post
    Great trip Christoph. I went on the Pacific Queen 1 1/2 fishing on the 7//24 and had similar results. Boat ended up with 130 blufin, 60 plus yellowtails and handful of dodos. The blufin ranged between 25-40 lbs. As the day progress they got larger. There were a few 50 plus landed. The jackpot went for 80lbs. Lots of anglers where wiped out after landing these fish all day. A few of the 50 plus where landed by the deckhands since the anglers simply gave up handed the rod over. After landing 3 blufin between 30-40lbs. I went to my heavy duty 2 speed reel with forty lb test without flouro. These blufin bit the straight 40 lbs test mono. I ended up with 4 blufin 30lbs-40lbs and 3 yellowtails. Lost 3 more.
    Yea when they bit, they were biting straight 40# no problem. Glad to hear you got on them!

*shakka*

So do you need to control the line lay or no. I went out on a overnight on the sea adventure 2 and when I hooked up I forgot to control the line lay I was just focusing on landing the fish. So I am still not sure if it is necessary or not to control the line lay with your thumb when using a conventional.

So do you need to control the line lay or no. I went out on a overnight on the sea adventure 2 and when I hooked up I forgot to control the line lay I was just focusing on landing the fish. So I am still not sure if it is necessary or not to control the line lay with your thumb when using a conventional.
    You NEED to control the line lay. You dont want the line to spool up onto one side only and then the reel wont turn anymore. I thought you meant the thumb pressing down on the line.. Sorry for the confusion.

*shakka*

Ok thanks for the info. How do you guy hook your bait? Nostril to nostril or mouth out through the nostril?

Ok thanks for the info. How do you guy hook your bait? Nostril to nostril or mouth out through the nostril?
    either butt hook it or 1/4 oz sliding sinker nose hooked

Butt hook is the best method they take off like a rocket. You really don't even have to cast it. The bait will do the work. Also bait selection is crucial. Try to find the one you cant catch in the bait well and make sure the scales are not bloody like its been raked through coal.

Nose is easier to cast and the bait will last longer and also you can get a strike on the retrieve.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12