Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: backpacking cancelled caused camping trip

Default backpacking cancelled caused camping trip

Sorry for the late report. I was suppose to do a backpacking trip out of horseshoe meadows to cottonwood lakes. One member of our group got altitude sickness so i had to drive down the hill to ease the pain. Decided to make a trip to bishop for the remainder of the days we were going to be gone. We stayed at 4 jeffries as its my fav campground up the hill. It rained, a little, every day and was a nice change to the heat. Fishing the creeks was awesome. Also had a visitor 1 morning as i was making coffee. We did make it to treasure lakes on a day hike which was really nice since it was my 1st backpacking trip. We also saw some deer. Hope everyone enjoys
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7110078copy.jpg 
Views:	477 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	42166   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7110074copy.jpg 
Views:	458 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	42167   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7110077copy.jpg 
Views:	427 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	42169   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7110076copy.jpg 
Views:	453 
Size:	66.1 KB 
ID:	42168   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7110081copy.jpg 
Views:	420 
Size:	62.5 KB 
ID:	42170  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7110085copy.jpg 
Views:	443 
Size:	77.2 KB 
ID:	42172   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7110083copy.jpg 
Views:	461 
Size:	64.5 KB 
ID:	42171   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7110086copy.jpg 
Views:	408 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	42173   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7120095copy.jpg 
Views:	403 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	42174   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7120104copy.jpg 
Views:	375 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	42175  

Why were you leaving your cooler outside? You can expect to have bears when you leave your cooler out side...

the cooler was in the bear box all night. I woke up, pulled the cooler out, and started my coffee. i didn't think i had to worry about it during the day, while i was up and around...

It's kinda funny, they used one of these pics on the Bishop Creek & Big Pine Campgrounds Facebook page as evidence that we have a "people problem" not a bear problem. If things shook down like you stated, which knowing this particular bear's behavior would not surprise me, you're good and the bear needs to go. It's obvious to me that the pic was taken early in the am as there was no direct sunlight, which hits the canyon pretty dang early. The two bears we have this season are first time visitors to this canyon, highly obnoxious, unafraid of people and have already charged a few area campers and even some dogs. It should be good hunting when the bear season opens for hunters. The two we've had this year are much bolder than we've seen in the past, possibly transplants from Yosemite.

BTW...I made my opinion known on their FB page.

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra_Smitty View Post
    BTW...I made my opinion known on their FB page.
    I did the same!

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra_Smitty View Post
    It's kinda funny, they used one of these pics on the Bishop Creek & Big Pine Campgrounds Facebook page as evidence that we have a "people problem" not a bear problem. If things shook down like you stated, which knowing this particular bear's behavior would not surprise me, you're good and the bear needs to go. It's obvious to me that the pic was taken early in the am as there was no direct sunlight, which hits the canyon pretty dang early. The two bears we have this season are first time visitors to this canyon, highly obnoxious, unafraid of people and have already charged a few area campers and even some dogs. It should be good hunting when the bear season opens for hunters. The two we've had this year are much bolder than we've seen in the past, possibly transplants from Yosemite.

so what you are saying is, when bear season starts, bring a few extra coolers as bait.... just like fishing, b&w...