Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Salton Sea Tilapia

Quote Originally Posted by drifter023 View Post
    Because you can load up a ice chest in two hours plus if you guys do not like it do not go.
    We that do go know how it is and like it so we will be going and have been going for a lot of years.
    So that is that
    I guess you have not seen skid row lately if you think that I would hate to see your house....
    Impressive.

No...I've seen Skid Row. You won't see our house unless you can get past the gate guards. Two forms of ID...be on the day's entry list and all that. And no, you can't fish in our lake.

Do not want to fish your lake or really see your house just do not knock us that do like to fish the sea. That's all I am saying, if you do not like it why knock it just do not go there.

Quote Originally Posted by drifter023 View Post
    Do not want to fish your lake or really see your house just do not knock us that do like to fish the sea. That's all I am saying, if you do not like it why knock it just do not go there.
    It was a question that still begs an answer. I fish in beautiful places because that's where the fish I seek live whether fresh water or ocean. I cannot imagine that anyone....anyone would want to stand in a place that is pretty much dead....from both the human and animal side of things....smelling that stench and seeing the filth and trash and consider it a quality fishing experience. Fishing the LA river is like fishing the wilds of Colorado compared to the Salton Sea. I am really sorry for you if that is your idea of the fishing experience. There are so many more rewarding places to catch fish within a few hours of where you live and you can eat the fish without worrying (I know, know ....the Salton Sea is a perfectly safe place to catch and eat fish and you can do what you want). By the way, we share the same zip code. We're almost neighbors!

I fish Silverwood, Colorado river and my annual sea trip all from the boat. I really do not like shore fishing anywhere that is why I have a boat neighbor....

Quote Originally Posted by Viejo View Post
    It was a question that still begs an answer. I fish in beautiful places because that's where the fish I seek live whether fresh water or ocean. I cannot imagine that anyone....anyone would want to stand in a place that is pretty much dead....from both the human and animal side of things....smelling that stench and seeing the filth and trash and consider it a quality fishing experience. Fishing the LA river is like fishing the wilds of Colorado compared to the Salton Sea. I am really sorry for you if that is your idea of the fishing experience. There are so many more rewarding places to catch fish within a few hours of where you live and you can eat the fish without worrying (I know, know ....the Salton Sea is a perfectly safe place to catch and eat fish and you can do what you want). By the way, we share the same zip code. We're almost neighbors!
    A few things to chime in if I may:

1. In what recent report indicated the Salton Sea is dead, for human and animal alike, aside from being shot/stabbed/drowned?

2. The stench that you're smelling at this moment in time is no more than what you smell at the cove at the local oceanic front. You can smell the same scent pretty much at the lake front during high eutrophication peak.

3. If you believe fishing the L.A. River is as great as the wilds of the Colorado, then you need to see a greater perspective that the Salton Sea, and its feeding tributaries (the Alamo and New Rivers, which I don't recommend you eating the fishes) are as the deadly as the Nile and the Congo, where abundant of monsters dwell. We went to the Alamo River this past weekends, just to use live tilapia fingerlings to chase after large kitties. Let me tell you, we can see those huge 15lbs lurking the surface of water like sharks. My wife nearly had a heart-attack when one of the kitties grabbed the live bait and ripped it out of her line. Once again, it was mainly for fun, and not for keeping to eat.

4. Yes, the place is trashed, and abandoned. Just like L.A., once a great city, now a mixed of abandoned and trash-filled sectors. Same say for any city that don't get support from external visitors.

5. In recent studies and reports, the Sea is indeed cleaner than you can imagine. Can you say it's cleaner than Lake Tahoe, Lake Perris, and even Silverwood Lake? Can you also put a finger on the incoming public report that Silverwood Lake is being placed on a "Do Not Eat The Fishes" list where Salton Sea got taken off?

I'm not starting any kind of war or animosity, rather, just educating the public the proper knowledge. And yes, I'm an environmental scientist that has the collected data.

Yes it is sad what happened to the sea but for me I still love being on the water there in my boat it is not like being on the shore it is Beautiful and peace full at the right times of the year.
    Not trying to convince any body else just what I enjoy once a year and will do for me not anybody else. Plus ice chest full of fish that we have for our yearly cook out and everybody knows were they came from and ask every year you are going down there. There is good in almost everything if you look in the right spots.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianGuy View Post
    5. Can you also put a finger on the incoming public report that Silverwood Lake is being placed on a "Do Not Eat The Fishes" list where Salton Sea got taken off?
    Ah the mercury problem again! Oh good keep spreading this BS it might keep the crowds down.

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    Ah the mercury problem again! Oh good keep spreading this BS it might keep the crowds down.
    No, you got it wrong. Mercury is a constant problem. Try selenium, and arsenic level. They have gone way up.

Thank you ASIANGUY...I've done much research on the Salton Sea and its fish...it's very difficult to turn the perception of the Salton Sea around...Yes, I understand people's concern about the communities around the Salton Sea...if the Sea was prosporous like it was decades ago, the crime and questionable people would not go there, but because people's idea of the Salton Sea has dramatically changed, it's like nobody gives a damn about what anybody says, they're stuck on "It stinks, it's bad, stay away!" I understand, but it's truly sad to hear this. For the time being and until I die, I will go to the peaceful Salton Sea-fishing, kayaking, relaxing, and have fun...

I have biological data, a study conducted on the fish in the Salton Sea...it's not BAD like the public thinks....anyway, scienctific data doesn't lie...

ENJOY!

Great to know you've done your research and homework Fisher. Scientific data don't lie, but surely, the data can be askewed to favor people to visit the water. However, there have been various agencies have their hands in making sure the biological data don't get misrepresented, so, there's no political influence and meddling to falsify the data.

My family will be enjoying the Salton Sea more and more in the earlier months before the conditions become a tad unbearable. Fishing, kayaking, and sight seeing can be phenomenal. If those who are too ignorant to believe the Sea has become more beneficial as an abundant fishery/park, well, more enjoyment for us folks that know better. For those who can't understand the turn-over rate of fast growing tilapia and their mortality, decreasing the fear of biological accumulation of pollutants in their tissues than the ones in the other local lakes that have longer holdover periods, well, more fish tacos for you and I.

Of course, speaking in health wise, I wouldn't advice to go crazy with tilapia consumption, even though it's not farm raised. Omega 6 content in tilapia is still much higher than every other fish species (including grass carp) to be consumed in large volume. However, limiting yourself to two small Salton Sea tilapia (bake is the best healthy option) a week, with good consumption of dark veggies, will be an excellent approach for your dietary needs.

Hope to see you there Fisher. Will be heading out to the Sea late of this month as the water temp gets to the high 70s. Once the water temp hits the constant 70, be ready for some major near-the-shoreline explosive fun.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast