Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Salton Sea Tilapia

Default Salton Sea Tilapia

How has the tilapia fishing been lately? Thinking of taking my boy out there next weekend.

last I heard they are getting them at Bombay beach now not at the State park.

Got offered a abandoned house in Bombay Beach for back taxes only. It was about $5000.
    After checking out the town 1/2 boarded up I passed. They will steal everything down there.
    Keep a eye on your car and hope you make it back alive. Bring weapons.
    Good Luck, DR

Eutrophication process is about to reach its peak, and dissolved oxygen level will be an extreme low pretty soon. Fishes are moving in and out of the deep and shallow area, based upon the daylight.

Time of attack: as early as 3AM, due to the overhanging 3/4 and 1/2 moon. Plenty of light for the fish to get active and feed, and return back to the cooler, high dissolved oxygen depths. Surface is pretty low at 10AM to 6PM.

Points of attack: Mecca HQ is a good place to go, but the only area you can catch is the primary jetty, which is limited on standing space. Look for a dark migrating zone created by the large moving schools when you're standing at the jetty.

Aside from the HQ, the jetties at the old Yacht Club (now a rec center), just northwest of the HQ. Plenty of people here. Just armed your car alarm, and make sure to park the car as close to the jetty that you're at, which is less than 100 ft away.

Look up Salt Creek, just slightly south of the HQ. The rocky shore is a great intro of oxygen from the wind current, which the fishes tend to congregate. Low level of food creates massive competition, so, anything they see, they eat. Rather than worm, corn nibblets, hotdogs, etc. will be gold. Hardly anyone here. Be extremely mindful of your car.

The Jetty is the great spot to hit after 10AM, slightly southeast of the Salt Creek. Abundant of food, plenty of oxygen, but limited on space. Since it's not as crowded, be mindful of your car.

Bombay Beach is closed for the summer, but a great area none the less. Good drop offs are quite inviting to tilapia during the hot days. If plenty of people parking near by, no need to worry about your car. It's eye-sight away. Turn on the alarm, but crack open the windows a bit. Your car will bake.

Unless you're completely helpless, and no nothing of defensive and offensive attacks (holding and stick and hit wildly), a nice 3.5" knife that you use as a utility knife will do the trick. Most people down there are more into hit and run, rather than confrontational. They know anglers are armed with assorted knives, and they will not go near anglers for confrontational, unless they're drugged up.

HOLY CRAP! Is it really that bad with the car break ins and scumbags? Sounds like the Punisher needs to hide in the bushes with a crossbow,I hate theives...

I heard there may still be a few corvina left. Any truth in that statement?

-b

Where did you hear this from?

Quote Originally Posted by bman View Post
    I heard there may still be a few corvina left. Any truth in that statement?

-b
    No, all Corvina dead.
    In 1998 I bought 5 abandoned houses for $45,000 behind city hall in Brawley.
    The owner carried the paper, $245 a month for 5 houses. Graffiti, homeless, heroin needles, trash everywhere. Weeks of cleaning, chain link, no trespassing signs ect.

I go by after work and see my rolling gate stolen. Lock was cut.
    Told a local on the job about it. He said it is common and has had friends in the country with hundreds of feet of chain link stolen.

Pretty funny that you can have fence to keep people out and they steal the fence.

9 pm to sunrise is when they come out.
    Watch your back down there.
    DR

Crime, tweekers, poverty.

Imperial remains the poorest county in California, and during this recession it's had the highest unemployment rate in the nation.
    http://www.kpbs.org/news/2009/aug/12...perial-county/

Why anyone would drive all that way to sit in filth and squalor and fish in that toilet is beyond me. It makes Skid Row look like Beverly Hills.

Crime, tweekers, poverty.

Imperial remains the poorest county in California, and during this recession it's had the highest unemployment rate in the nation.
    http://www.kpbs.org/news/2009/aug/12...perial-county/[/QUOTE]

Because you can load up a ice chest in two hours plus if you guys do not like it do not go.
    We that do go know how it is and like it so we will be going and have been going for a lot of years.
    So that is that
    I guess you have not seen skid row lately if you think that I would hate to see your house....
    Last edited by drifter023; 08-04-2013 at 05:53 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast