Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fish bait?

Yeah they've been around forever,used to tie a string to them when we were kids and fly them around like a poor kids kite,now their eating all my grapes,oh well.

Cya TunaVic

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    Nice Google!
    So what? Now you're stalking me on the boards. You're lucky this isn't a stand your ground state. If it was, I could blow you off the boards...

Quote Originally Posted by pcuser View Post
    So what? Now you're stalking me on the boards. You're lucky this isn't a stand your ground state. If it was, I could blow you off the boards...
    Bugged (get it bugged!) you so much you had to respond 2x's huh? What took you a while to come up with this masterpiece of a response?
    Last edited by seal; 07-29-2013 at 01:41 PM.

These DO, in fact, work as bait.

Weightless, with 4 lb line, and a small hook through one of the elytra (outer wings). cast gently and carefully, and if you cast high enough, you can get to the middle of the lake, just pop the rod tip down, and it will knock it into the water, where it will float and kick around.

They drown fast, unfortunately. Good catfish bait, too!

Quote Originally Posted by smokehound View Post
    These DO, in fact, work as bait.

Weightless, with 4 lb line, and a small hook through one of the elytra (outer wings). cast gently and carefully, and if you cast high enough, you can get to the middle of the lake, just pop the rod tip down, and it will knock it into the water, where it will float and kick around.

They drown fast, unfortunately. Good catfish bait, too!
    Thanks for the tip.

I tried these once for Bass and didn't get any takers. Thought it would be good since it fluttered and made a lot of motion on the water. To avoid killing it I would just use some small dental floss and tie a hook around the body under the wings and drop it slowly into the water. Once it gets going it would flutter out pretty far.

Thanks for the info. LGHT they ate up the fruit on the tree and are gone now.

They make great Koi food. I swatted a larger one the other day, dumped in my pond, and 20 mins later it was gone.

We found a lot of the larvae of these bugs in our garden this spring, so I took some to the Pudd and tried using them as bait. I didn't catch anything, but like everything in fishing there are too many variables to know if it was the bait or some other reason. They look like good bait, but they're a little squishy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12