Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What next !

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Quagga View Post
    I think RS is less relevant than it was 40 years ago.
    For sure. (I don't think I've picked one up since P.J. O'Rourke left - that guys is a funny conservative.)

Does RS have the right to do what they did? Sure. Do they have a moral responsibility to not do it? No, and I wouldn't want to give them that sort of power. Is what they did tasteless? Absolutely. I wonder if Jann Wenner would have been so enthusiastic about it if one of his kids at lost a couple limbs to the bombing.

Thanks for the input, CD.
    But what is the ethical responsibility of a journalist? Is it to excite or inform? In my view the purpose of the RS bomber cover was the latter - so, to me the question becomes - Was it right to treat this murderer like a rock star; to willingly increase the drama and duration of his fifteen minutes? In a society that blindly worships fame of any kind, is it right to reward these most shameful, cowardly efforts for notoriety?

Quote Originally Posted by City Dad View Post
    But what is the ethical responsibility of a journalist? Is it to excite or inform? In my view the purpose of the RS bomber cover was the latter - so, to me the question becomes - Was it right to treat this murderer like a rock star; to willingly increase the drama and duration of his fifteen minutes? In a society that blindly worships fame of any kind, is it right to reward these most shameful, cowardly efforts for notoriety?
    I'd say a journalist's duty is to inform, first and foremost. Of course the reality is that many sensationalize their content, be it for circulation or to advance their own agenda. There is no philosophical angle RS can take on this and come out smelling clean, in my opinion.

Now, another inquiry from Ol' Scratch: would it be any different if the L.A. Times used half of their front page to print a picture of Tsarnaev as opposed to, say, President Obama? (This is not a fair question, I'm just being an ***. But I am curious for your response, CD.)

I would much prefer to see a picture of Tsarnaev in the obituary section of any newspaper, but that’s just me.

I'd say a journalist's duty is to inform, first and foremost. Of course the reality is that many sensationalize their content, be it for circulation or to advance their own agenda. There is no philosophical angle RS can take on this and come out smelling clean, in my opinion.

Now, another inquiry from Ol' Scratch: would it be any different if the L.A. Times used half of their front page to print a picture of Tsarnaev as opposed to, say, President Obama? (This is not a fair question, I'm just being an ***. But I am curious for your response, CD.)
    Any reward - be it publicity or other - for a terrorist act, IHO, is wrong ethically and morally. It is pretty clear what these people are after and yet we do not deny them. I am sure that it is still possible to report events to the public without the sensationalization/hype that is no small part of the motivation for carrying out such acts.

That said, I believe firmly in RS's right to put him on the cover... I just don't think that it was right thing to do - and I would have the same opinion if the L.A. Times did it.

Any reward - be it publicity or other - for a terrorist act, IHO, is wrong ethically and morally. It is pretty clear what these people are after and yet we do not deny them. I am sure that it is still possible to report events to the public without the sensationalization/hype that is no small part of the motivation for carrying out such acts.

That said, I believe firmly in RS's right to put him on the cover... I just don't think that it was right thing to do - and I would have the same opinion if the L.A. Times did it.
    But are you outraged?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    But are you outraged?
    I rarely, if ever, feel outraged. Can't give people that power over you.

I rarely, if ever, feel outraged. Can't give people that power over you.
    Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!
    I fart in your general direction

I fart in your general direction
    You empty headed animal food trough wiper.

You empty headed animal food trough wiper.
    "food trough wiper"??? oh, S 'bout to get real up in here...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast