Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Ventura Pier

Default Ventura Pier

QUICK FACTS
    Date fished: July 14, 2013
    Driving time: 30 minutes
    Other fisherman: 4-6
    Poles down @ 6:00am
    Poles up @ 12:15pm
    Fish caught: 12

SUMMARY OF EVENTS:
    I took a couple of my kids (my 21 year old and my two 7 year olds) fishing today in Ventura. I really looking forward to try surf fishing for the first time and after setting up a Carolina rig with a fresh sandcrab, I casted out just past the breakers. Within seconds my pole bent in half... I have never fished like this, so I was shocked and excited! As I reeled in, it got harder to reel in my line. Turns out I was loaded up with weeds... not a fish. So, I cleaned off and repeated... same result, instant pole bending. Reeled it in again and all weeds. I did this for about 30 minutes and after spending 90% of that time cleaning off weeds. So we packed it up and setup on the pier instead. After dropping in our lines, we immediately started getting hits. We reeled in fish after fish: Lizardfish, Croakers, Walleyes, Thornbacks and even a couple of crabs!

THE RESULTS:
    It was a great day of fishing with my kids (even though I spent most of my time fixing their lines). Been coming here for since I was about 17 and don't see me abandoning the Ventura Pier anytime soon.

PHOTOS:

VIDEO

Good going getting ur kids on fish and nice vid too!

-brian

Awesome job getting the kids out there in some fun! Catching always helps...and usually doesn't matter too much what you're catching. Good times!

Thanks for sharing...
    Don

Thumbs up

Wow, Santa Barbara, Ventura, Malibu... you really get around with your pier hopping adventures.
    What's next, Huntington Beach Pier and then Oceanside Pier?
    Well done getting the family out fishing!

Yeah... been trying to get as much fishing in as possible. I put off fishing for years when my kids were younger, but now they are a little older, I am able to get away on my own or take them with me. I'm not planning on taking the trek down to piers that far away... but I am looking forward to learning what beaches around here have good to great surf fishing!

Default July 21, 2013

QUICK FACTS
    Date fished: July 21, 2013
    Other fisherman: 20-25
    Poles down @ 11:00am
    Poles up @ 3:15pm
    Fish caught: 13

SUMMARY OF EVENTS:
    Today was my little man Logan's birthday... and after receiving his "big boy pole" as a gift, he asked if we could go fishing. I was like... "DUH! Of course we can go fishing... because it's YOUR day and we can do whatever you want!" SCORE!!! It started off slow as it probably took about an hour before we reeled our first fish. However, it was a nice sized Croaker... not a bad way to start the day. After that, we once again, reeled in fish after fish: 10 Croakers, 2 small Sculpin, 1 Rock Cod (I think) and even a small crab!

THE RESULTS:
    Another great day of fishing with my kids and even the wife and little one came with this time. Even though they hung out at the beach, it was nice to have them close by.

PHOTOS:

Quote Originally Posted by ErikAllen17 View Post
    QUICK FACTS
    Date fished: July 21, 2013
    Other fisherman: 20-25
    Poles down @ 11:00am
    Poles up @ 3:15pm
    Fish caught: 13

SUMMARY OF EVENTS:
    Today was my little man Logan's birthday... and after receiving his "big boy pole" as a gift, he asked if we could go fishing. I was like... "DUH! Of course we can go fishing... because it's YOUR day and we can do whatever you want!" SCORE!!! It started off slow as it probably took about an hour before we reeled our first fish. However, it was a nice sized Croaker... not a bad way to start the day. After that, we once again, reeled in fish after fish: 10 Croakers, 2 small Sculpin, 1 Rock Cod (I think) and even a small crab!

THE RESULTS:
    Another great day of fishing with my kids and even the wife and little one came with this time. Even though they hung out at the beach, it was nice to have them close by.

PHOTOS:
    What you are doing is creating memories that will become family legend and will be repeated at family gatherings when you are old and frail. The sheer joy and sense of accomplishment in your children's faces is worth more then anything I can imagine. Each trip adds to the bank of memories. They will never forget....nor will you. May I suggest Dana Harbor pier which also has a number of other things for kids to do and learn right in the area.

Manhattan beach pier has a little "convenience store" version of a museum at the end that is pretty cool to see for the kids. There's a fair shot at perch and croaker in the surfline there as well.

Way to go man, love the pier also. I'm out there pretty often. Great to see the kids loving it... awesome.

Catch any more crabs your going to be on the same channel as deadliest catch.