Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Girl's Mini Vacation and Tenkara Fishing at Lake Gregory and Big Bear lake....):}+{:(

First off, your fishing report is awesome. Your reports are so informative and the pictures are awesome. Absolutely feel like I am there through your photos...a nice little feeling of getting away for a moment or two.

Boulder Bay was certainly happenin' with panfish when i was there too. BBL was hot for trout using powerbait with a 5 foot leader or lures 8 to 15 feet down. Papoose Bay and the white buoy line was amazing...there must be tons of trout in those areas!

Nice to see your reports as usual. Awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by carpanglerdude View Post
    Love the closeup photos. Nice catches!
    Thanks! I think those panfish have amazing colors.

Quote Originally Posted by DEVOREFLYER View Post
    Most outstanding indeed. Looks like you have a "Fishing Princess" in the making and with the shopping perhaps also a "Chip off the Ole Block". lol
    Thank you! She was a fishing princess and she used to join me for fishing. She won third place in the youth category at the LG fishing derby a few years ago, but she never became addicted to fishing. Sometimes I wish they were more like me, I'd love to take my kids fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by GhettoBasster View Post
    Thanks for another awesome report! What a great trip with the two and four-legged kids.
    The little dog is the baby of our family. I called her "my four-legged daughter....lol

[QUOTE=VIVID_FLY;682494]Nice report Alice. *Way to fish BIG BEAR for the sunfish.

Chuck, the pic is funny! I know you and Robert both fish with Kebari only these days. I'm not 100% into Kebari flies like I should with Tenkara fishing. I'm fonder of western flies and they have served me well with good catches. I don't know if it is the presentation that was not attractive to the trout, or just my confidence. Any tips?

Quote Originally Posted by TonyLisa View Post
    Great report *fishing queen. Those pictures make me wanna go up there lol
    Thanks TonyLisa, nice to hear fome you!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobber Boy View Post
    Great report and some good looking fish! *It is beautiful up there!
    It is a very nice lake and we love to go up there.

Quote Originally Posted by 5150fishn View Post
    Great report and pics. I love it in Big Bear!
    Thanks for the reading and your feedback! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Lefty View Post
    What a nice vacation, Alice. The first panfish is a Pumpkinseed Sunfish actually. A couple of other ones are difficult to identify exactly. They might be Bluegill/Green Sunfish hybrids, or maybe Green Sunfish. I have never seen Green Sunfish in BBL, but I guess they are in there. I had never seen Green Sunfish in the Colorado River before until May when my wife and I went there, but there was a school of the little critters all together, spawning I think. I caught about 10 of them on jigs and put them back to spawn.

Nice photos. It looks like your lovely daughter takes after you. :)

Robert, I was wondering how you've been these days. I read some of your dad's poems, he is very talented. I can see he is a sensitive, emotional man with great passion for life through his words.

It was nice to spend a little time with my girl. It amazes me how fast the kids grow. She is getting tall enough to fit in some of the clothes that I used to wear years ago.....

I think it's my first time to catch a Pumpkinseed Sunfish, it had amazing colors. Many of the gills that I caught had lightening blues stripes on the heads and gill plates. But their rest of their bodies were just like a blue gill. I thought they might be hybrids. Green Sunfish are beautiful, chubby little fish. I’ve only found them in mountain lakes. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the climate or elevation. Here is a picture of a Green Sunfish that I caught. I always release these little guys too, I want them to breed and have more babies.

Quote Originally Posted by fishinone View Post
    That sounds like a nice vacation.

BTW: The little dogs hair would make great flies. *I have solid gray cat that will be donating at my house!
    Thank you! You're right about the dog’s hair. I have two bags of hair from her past “summer fashion cuts" and I use them as the dabbing to dress the fly’s bodies. I can change the fly colors by using colored Sharpie.

Quote Originally Posted by Troutin Man View Post
    First off, your fishing report is awesome. Your reports are so informative and the pictures are awesome. *Absolutely feel like I am there through your photos...a nice little feeling of getting away for a moment or two.

Boulder Bay was certainly happenin' with panfish when i was there too. *BBL was hot for trout using powerbait with a 5 foot leader or lures 8 to 15 feet down. *Papoose Bay and the white buoy line was amazing...there must be tons of trout in those areas!

Nice to see your reports as usual. *Awesome.

I appreciate the positive feedback and for your great support. Once I met a teenager at a lake, he knew me by reading my posts about Tenkara fishing. He asked if I got paid for writing fishing reports. Ha, ha..... I guess that I write too many reports....lol.

Big Bear has the most beautiful panfish that I've caught and the hold over trout can get pretty big.

Big Bear Lake is just a great fishing lake, period. I have been stunned at the numbers of trout I meter in the west end of the lake, both shorelines, commencing about a mile east of the buoy line right up to that line. 2-5 feet either side of the thermocline, there are trout present in large numbers. Put the lure or bait in their zone, and if they are in the mood you will go BENDO forthwith.

Fishing Queen, your posts belong in "Field & Stream". They are that good.
    Last edited by flytyingreloader; 07-04-2013 at 03:58 PM.

Oh, how did you see my dad's poems, Alice?

Green Sunfish are actually rather ubiquitous. They are found in most lower elevation lakes as well, especially where rocky shorelines are abundant. However, they are not very big or very common in many waters, and seem to be more abundant in rocky mountain lakes.

Pumpkinseeds are actually the colder water species, so they are usually only found in the mountains, or way up north, like in Washington State.

By the way, I actually did fish Boulder Bay a couple of weeks ago. It was kind of disappointing and nobody was catching many fish. It was sort of chilly that day, but I don't know if that was the reason. As in your report, there were no trout to be seen at all. I did catch a juvenile Crappie and a smallish Bluegill, a small LMB and a bigger one around 13 inches, mostly on jigs. I was really hoping to catch a trout too. I wish that 13 inch Bass had been a 13 inch trout.

I went to Catfish Cove on your Lake Gregory yesterday, for the first time in a long time. I didn't bring any worms because I seem to be allergic to the dirt. Fishing wasn't great there, either, but I caught 7 small Black Crappie and a Rainbow Trout, all on 1/32 ounce red and chartreuse jigs. It was weird that I tried other jigs but they would only bite on that kind. I have never known the fish to be picky there before. I also tried an Adams fly behind a bobber but no strikes. I think maybe most of the Crappies have finished spawning already, so maybe the fishing had been better there in May or June, numbers wise. The Crappie don't seem to have gotten any bigger there. Have you noticed any bigger ones, Alice?

My next fishing will probably be out of state as we are planning a vacation "to Arkansas" since "We have never been there." The quotes are because the whole idea is of course my wife's. I would be just as happy if not more happy to go to the sierras for a while. :)
    Last edited by Natural Lefty; 07-04-2013 at 06:06 PM.

[/QUOTE]

You have a beautiful daughter ! I have four children that grew up so fast there all out of the house and gone ! None of them picked up fishing.

The picture of the green Sunfish almost looks like a Jack Demcy !

Very nice report,and really nice pictures,thanks for sharing.

Cya TunaVic

Quote Originally Posted by flytyingreloader View Post
    Big Bear Lake is just a great fishing lake, period. *I have been stunned at the numbers of trout I meter in the west end of the lake, both shorelines, commencing about a mile east of the buoy line right up to that line. *2-5 feet either side of the thermocline, there are trout present in large numbers. *Put the lure or bait in their zone, and if they are in the mood you will go BENDO forthwith.

Fishing Queen, your posts belong in "Field & Stream". *They are that good.

BBL is great lake and we love to go up there. We've met some local regulars and they were very friendly and gave me the info on some locations. Just have to spend more time there to explore better locations for fishing.

Thanks for the kind words on my posts! As you know, I've grown from bait fishing with a spinning rod, to western fly fishing and now Japanese Tenkara fishing. I've come a long way. To be honest, sometimes I feel lost and worry that my unique style and method of fishing will be boring to others. But it surprises me that I've received a lot of nice comments, encouragement and great support from most members here. I'm grateful to everyone who replied to my posts, and accepts me the way I am.....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast