Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2-stroke Oil Brands ?

Default 2-stroke Oil Brands ?

So,

just wondering if anyone is running an alternative oil for your 2-stroke. I have a Yamaha 2001 vmax now, and I need to get some more oil soon. the Yamalube is a pretty penny, but I have been reading up on it and some people state they don't use the yamalube, they use alternative, such as quicksilver, pennzoil..even mercury. I am skeptical and probably going to just order some more yamalube..but, wanted to see how anyone else feels.

Thanks,

Alex

Hey 661, I always think of this quote when buying oil. "You can pay know! Or, you can pay for it later!" Especially with two strokes because cheap oil will scuff your cylinder wall, pistons and crankshaft then it will be ruined.

Oil is cheap to the price of a motor. Use what has been working...

Yep, pretty much just going to buy in bulk and stay with yamalube.....not going to kick myself in the butt later...

Quote Originally Posted by 661Bass'n View Post
    So,

just wondering if anyone is running an alternative oil for your 2-stroke. I have a Yamaha 2001 vmax now, and I need to get some more oil soon. the Yamalube is a pretty penny, but I have been reading up on it and some people state they don't use the yamalube, they use alternative, such as quicksilver, pennzoil..even mercury. I am skeptical and probably going to just order some more yamalube..but, wanted to see how anyone else feels.

Thanks,

Alex
    Quicksilver is from mercury marine
    How is Mercury a alternative ?
    it is just as good if not better than yamalube
    when i worked the big tournaments like the US open we would have 8-10 engines go down every tournament
    5 of the engine would be Mercurys on average the others 5 would be split between yamaha and OMC (evenrude)
    there would be 250 mercurys the rest yamaha's and OMCs
    the Mercurys we more reliable.....BUT engines did not fail do to OIL from any of the Big 3 companies..yamaha mercury and OMC all make good oil
    the stuff you hear is all Smoke and mirrors
    If you can get Mercury go for it ....If it is cheaper

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Quicksilver is from mercury marine
    How is Mercury a alternative ?
    it is just as good if not better than yamalube
    when i worked the big tournaments like the US open we would have 8-10 engines go down every tournament
    5 of the engine would be Mercurys on average the others 5 would be split between yamaha and OMC (evenrude)
    there would be 250 mercurys the rest yamaha's and OMCs
    the Mercurys we more reliable.....BUT engines did not fail do to OIL from any of the Big 3 companies..yamaha mercury and OMC all make good oil
    the stuff you hear is all Smoke and mirrors
    If you can get Mercury go for it ....If it is cheaper
    You can buy a gallon of Quicksilver 2 stroke plus at Wallmart for $30 or you can go to Anglers and buy a gallon of Mercury 2 Stroke Plus at Anglers Marine for $45. And they are both made by Mercury. Go figure!

-bman
    Last edited by jicasiano; 07-02-2013 at 03:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bman View Post
    You can buy a gallon of Quicksilver 2 stroke plus at Wallmart for $30 or you can go to Anglers and buy a gallon of Mercury 2 Stroke Plus at Anglers Marine for $45. And they are both made by Mercury. Go figure!

-bman
    I have a friend who works at Mercury Marine and said the Quicksilver 2 stroke plus was originally made for the Non Merc dealers, but said its the same stuff as the Merc 2.

-Original Bman

Stick with what you've been using your motor will thank you...

Quote Originally Posted by bman View Post
    -bman
    Chevy makes a Cruz and other low end models, They also make Corvette.
    What's your point. All these people driving Pickups, SUVs have no problem spending $50 to $100 a week in gas ? Then complain about $15 extra for the correct oil ?

Makes no sense to me ? I'm running Johnson oil in my Johnson Ocean Runner 150hp 2 stroke.
    Last 5 years, turn key everytime. Also running 89 octane because that's what it calls for. Always Unocal or Chevron. That motor would cost $5000 to $10,000 to replace.

Why take a chance ?
    DR

Hey Bman. You are right. My bad. Just don't go to Walmart. Walmart sucks.
    Ghetto shopping anti-American destroying small business, don't pay employees enough, employees on food stamps.

From the Mercury website;

If Quicksilver or Mercury Precision Lubricants outboard oil is not available, substitute another brand of 2-cycle outboard oil that is NMMA Certified TC-W3. The use of an inferior 2-cycle outboard oil can reduce engine durability. Damage from use of inferior oil may not be covered under the limited warranty. Always consult your Operation, Maintenance & Warranty manual for additional information.

http://www.mercurymarine.com/service...#AlternateOil2
    Last edited by DockRat; 08-02-2013 at 11:37 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast