Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: CAST NET- Legal or Not

Default CAST NET- Legal or Not

What up FNN? I just got a new job that allows me to travel the country on a fairly regular basis. My goal is to catch a fish in every state I travel to lol. Last week I was in Kemah, Texas and I purchased a cast net and a small frabill bait tank. I validated the purchase by catching my 1st Alligator Gar, a couple drums and a few cats. I will be down in San Diego this Friday, staying at Campland on the bay; which is near mission bay. I am no means a salt guy, but I’ve had luck before using a double dropper loop fishing squid. Im looking forward to hitting this spot but I do have a few questions. 1st and MOST IMPORTANT is the legality of the cast net? 2nd, if it is illegal (which I believe it is), is there anywhere I can purchase bait fish down there besides the barges? And lastly, would you even bother with the live bait or just run a double dropper loop? …and maybe one more, is there any other setups that you’d recommend while I’m chucking out the artificials? Thanks again for the info FNN!!

Cheers,
    -Dave

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130610_222756_931-2.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	41654
    Last edited by Piss on Myspace; 06-26-2013 at 10:23 PM.

Cast nets in Cali are a no no. Unless u want a hefty fine!

Agreeed with Cadilyak...cast net is illigal in Cali.

You can also throw some plastic or a luckycraft and try to get a barricuda or halibut or bass there.

Quote Originally Posted by Piss on Myspace View Post
    2nd, if it is illegal (which I believe it is), is there anywhere I can purchase bait fish down there besides the barges? And lastly, would you even bother with the live bait or just run a double dropper loop? …and maybe one more, is there any other setups that you’d recommend while I’m chucking out the artificials? Cheers, -Dave Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130610_222756_931-2.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	41654
    There are two places i know, one is the barge you mentioned, and the second might be the other boat rental place, i think its called Seaforth Market. They rent boats with live tanks.

The bait from guys who don't use all the bait they bought from the barge that get returned on the rentals are put in a live tank on their dock. You probably can buy some from them.

i am not talking about me not using all the live bait, my friends

Cast nets are legal north of Point Conception in the surf.
    DR

Nice Gar !