Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: High-dollar spinning reels?

Default High-dollar spinning reels?

Well, years ago I bought a couple of entry-level spinning reels for my daughters. They are now in their late 30's and we still fish the Mammoth and June Lake every spring. This year we got into some larger stocked trout and I could readily see that the drags on these reels were struggling with the task. Now, I am considering some better grade reels and am shocked at the price one can pay for a trout reel these days. Are these reels worth the money in pure performance or are they just a status symbol for the better heeled among us? At what level should I now consider moving to? What say you? Thanks...

I use the trion reel made by Pflueger. They run from 29.99 to 39.99 depending on what size you get. They are a very good reel for the price and also come with 6 ball bearings. If you want something a little more expensive you can get the president reel that runs from 49.99 to 59.99. Hope that helps.

hey Gary O,
    i recommend the Shimano sienna 1000fd, they are smooth and great all around reels. You can pick them up at Turners for around $25 to $30. I have caught many DD trout on these reels and they can take a beating. Good Luck.
    Danny.
    Last edited by DANNY SMOKIN JIGZ; 06-26-2013 at 10:40 AM. Reason: spell check

You don't need a high dollar reel to catch trout. It's all about drag and the quality of your bearings and unless you are off-shore fishing a Stella for blue fin, it's a non-issue. Don't buy into the hype.

Quote Originally Posted by jsoob View Post
    I use the trion reel made by Pflueger. They run from 29.99 to 39.99 depending on what size you get. They are a very good reel for the price and also come with 6 ball bearings. If you want something a little more expensive you can get the president reel that runs from 49.99 to 59.99. Hope that helps.
    I should mention that I prefer metal body & rotor reels over graphite...

I own several offshore spinning setups for jigging and popping and as previously posted you don't need a reel with 50+ lbs of drag for trout lol. I use pfleuger also and they work fine. It would be counter productive to put 2-4lb floro on a reel that has more than 4lb of drag as the line would break before you reached the drag limit. Plus it's more fun to finesse a big trout in instead of powering it in like tuna!

Tight lines!

Quote Originally Posted by jsoob View Post
    +1 on the Trion. I have caught alot of BIG trout on them! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PA090060.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	41652Click image for larger version. 

Name:	75186_172896729402738_2573744_n.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	41655
    Last edited by skatino; 06-26-2013 at 10:34 PM.

It all depends on the type of trout fishing you are doing. If you are just chucking Power bait out there for 10-12" dfw trout than any reel will do. Heck you can go to Wal Mart and buy a 10' surf rod/reel combo and do fine. But if you are chasing the bigger models like they stock during trout season in So Cal with 2lb test, jigs, or other plastics then you want a top notch reel that has a quality drag and one desinged to give you better casting distance. This argument can go on forever but if your serious about fishing go with the best reel you can afford. I would recommend Shimano reels without a doubt. A really good mid range reel is a Shimano Symetre at about $99. Or even the the less expensive models like the Sedona ($60)are great reels.
    Last edited by phishin phool; 06-26-2013 at 11:49 PM.

Sahara is a good choice, but I wouldn't trade my ci4 for anything!

You don't need to spend an arm and a leg for a spinning reel that you won't use as often. If you're just playing the bait and wait game then any reel should do. I would recommend a low end Shimano like a Sienna or a Solstace. And for a couple more bucks get a Sedona or Sahara.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast