Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Type of Fish Finders Do You Have?/??

Default What Type of Fish Finders Do You Have?/??

Ok,

so I just picked up a newer boat the other day. Driver console doesn't have a fish finder. So, I am in the need to get one. I had a Hummingbird 561on my other boat, which was effective. But, since I know I am going to keep this new boat for an extended period of time, I wanted to put a few more bucks into a fish finder.

Anyhow, I know whateverone says, spend as much as you can afford, but I am just wondering what others are using and are you satisfied. I fish Castaic and Pyramid......is DSI worth it?? Since I have never used it, do I really need the feature??

thanks...

Alex

I have a Hummingbird 570. I am happy with it for now. If I could afford to upgrade, I would get one that has gps chartplotter, DI with split screen. I do some striper fishing at Skinner and DVL and the GPS would be helpful to lock in coordinates. Right now I use a handheld.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetfish View Post
    I have a Hummingbird 570. I am happy with it for now. If I could afford to upgrade, I would get one that has gps chartplotter, DI with split screen. I do some striper fishing at Skinner and DVL and the GPS would be helpful to lock in coordinates. Right now I use a handheld.
    Ya, I pretty much have been doing 90% striper and 10% on LMB, Gills, Crappie. So, I did think of the locking of coords as a positive...

I have the Lowrance HDS with GPS in the dash and a Lowrance Elite 7 DSI on the bow.

Did a lot of research when I bought my last FF,,2012,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Iv always been a lawrance man but have had many great hummingbird FFrs,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,when I facterd in all the little differences I went with the HUM,385CIDI,,,,,,,,

As good as any that iv had before as far as adjustability/DI/GPS,,,,Im used to the smaller screen so that didn't bother me at all and the color and res is great,,,,,,,,gps speed and waypoints are a snap and dead even with my handheld gps

For under 400$ I feel like I got a great deal

As far as DSI,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Not nessesary for stripers ,,,,,,,,,,I sometimes split the screen between the DI and the regular finder when im over treetops because I can see the wood so much more clearer with the DI,,,,,,,But that's abought the only time I use it

TRAIL BLAZER
    Last edited by trail blazer; 06-26-2013 at 05:42 PM.

I just picked up two Humminbird 998C si. Clearing them out because they decided to go to an LED screen (from an LCD screen). Marked down to 1299 from 1999. Couldn't pass it up. If you are interested, I think BBG Marine (BBGMarine.com) still has them. BTW, they are out of state...so NO TAX!

As for the units, pretty straight forward easy to install and use, and networking was a breeze. I still have to finish dialing them in, but that is because last time I was out I had some trolling motor issues so I was off the water in under an hour.

Congrats on the new boat!

Tight Lines
    Steven

Quote Originally Posted by skatino View Post
    I just picked up two Humminbird 998C si. Clearing them out because they decided to go to an LED screen (from an LCD screen). Marked down to 1299 from 1999. Couldn't pass it up. If you are interested, I think BBG Marine (BBGMarine.com) still has them. BTW, they are out of state...so NO TAX!

As for the units, pretty straight forward easy to install and use, and networking was a breeze. I still have to finish dialing them in, but that is because last time I was out I had some trolling motor issues so I was off the water in under an hour.

Congrats on the new boat!

Tight Lines
    Steven
    Nice. But, my pockets aren't that deep...lol

Quote Originally Posted by 661Bass'n View Post
    Nice. But, my pockets aren't that deep...lol
    I looked at it as an investment. I fish alot of tournaments so it was easily justifiable. Good luck on whatever you go with!

Steve

Taking a trip to Bass Pro after work, leaning towards a Humminbird 581i or 386ci. I will make my choice once I am there, I never had a color screen so, getting the 581 wont bother me. However, the 386 is 2 inches small so, it may be a better fit size wise. I have a 2001Skeeter SL190 and the dash doesn't provide much of any space to mount, so I will need a RAM mount. I may be able to mount with a RAM just right of the dash.

thanks for all your suggestions and replies....

I've got a Lowrance Elite 5 DSI. I installed it early this year. It's awesome.

I use it at Castaic and Pyramid, striper fishing. The imaging detail is impressive. Fish appear on screen smaller than I was used to with my Garmin 240, more to scale with the rest of the water column, I'd say. I can see clouds of small fish even tiny fish with separation and I can count the fish in a school at times. When I troll over a tree or grass I can easily tell what it is. When I'm anchored up the returns look a lot like a regular fish finder except that fish appear a little smaller than I was used to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast