Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Welcome to the Dark Side - Silverwood Lake Striped Bass Hunt....):}+{:(....

Hey great report and pics! Stripers are very powerful fish, especially when they get up into the 10 pound range. Keep at it, you'll get your big striper back.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingnut View Post
    Congrats on your 1st of many Linesides.
    Excellent reporting as always.

Thank you Arthur! I appreciate the positive feedback on the report, and for the encouragement on my first striper fishing. :)

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    Cool new blood fishing for Silverwood stripey that I'm sure will be able to help control the population. *Welcome to the darkside!

Thanks seal! I have a question - when you fish for striper, do you use bait or Lures or flies? And what kind of fly do you recommend for catching stripers?

Quote Originally Posted by fishinone View Post
    Nice report. *Congratulations on catcHing your first striper.

Big striper teach hard lessons. They keep teaching every time you get one on. *T/O and Cory got a lesson at Striperfest and they're old hands.

Good luck next *time. I know you'll get them.

Fishinone, thank you! Your kind words are comforting for my loss. There are more things that I need to learn about striper fishing. It's my first striper experience, but won't be the last, I'll get them someday.

Quote Originally Posted by fishmounter View Post
    Hey great report and pics! *Stripers are very powerful fish, especially when they get up into the 10 pound range. *Keep at it, you'll get your big striper back.

Thanks fishmounter! That pink rod has served me well with some nice catches in the past. But I didn't expect to hook a 10 pounder my first time striper fishing and I underestimated its power. Now it makes me wonder if my 6 pound line is good enough to handle a 10 pound striper, or if I need to upgrade it to much stronger and thicker line.

The striped bass mount looks great.

I have had very good success when they are active (early and late) on schoolies with both clouser and wooly bugger patterns. The buggers I like in all black and large, these will work for LMB's as well but I prefer stripping the buggers from a tube as opposed to the clousers which I use when wet wading from shore. The school sized fish will come close to shore in the evening or morning and that's when you will have most success fishing from shore.

As far as lures I've mentioned it before but one of the more fun bites that has been very consistent recently is a bubble and fry combo, same setup as a fly and bubble but I use a tiny fluke or Lakefork fry imitation in a shad or silverside type pattern. They have been slamming that setup for a couple months now and when I get tired of tossing the bigger swimbaits and want to fill up the freezer with fillet's this is kind of a no brainer. Bite is normally about 1.5 hrs. before dark or early morning but with the lake opening after sunup now the best bite is over before the lake opens thus nighttime is my preferred fishing period also if overcast the bite can turn on much ealier. So many lures will work but the fry is small right now so that's why I think the bubble setup is so effective on the smaller schoolies (some bigger ones are possible but usually stripers hang in like sizes, it's safer that way!) and since the baits are so small the bubble allows you to get it out there to them and also suspends the bait in their feeding zone.

I rarely if ever use bait so no advice on that one and if you want to target bigger stripers with lures that's a whole different story. The setup I mentioned you will only need 6lbs. test type setup with like a 6.5 ft. rod, so light bass gear or even a trout rod would work, more fun that way.

Just wait when they start chasing the schools of shad up shallow (boil season!) or are attacking the LMB fry shallow, will start in a month or so, my favorite time of the year. I just keep it simple and toss super spooks, you will be hooked as soon as those stripers start batting the bait up in the air, too much fun! All that bite takes is a decent bass rod with not too stiff of a tip 6.5 to 7.5' rod and 6-10 lbs. test, this bite will usually have bigger models than you will see right now anywhere from 2-8lbs. is the norm..

PM for more "detailed" info..
    Last edited by seal; 06-25-2013 at 08:59 AM.

Wow what fun!!!! Nice report and photos. Thanks everyone for some great tutorials. Sorry you lost your fish, at least it wasn't zing pow and gone, you got to fight it!!! The heart pumping life and death battle being fought by the fish, and our battle to conquer said fish is what it is all about! Great report and posts by everyone.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by michaelk View Post
    Wow what fun!!!! *Nice report and photos. *Thanks everyone for some great tutorials. *Sorry you lost your fish, at least it wasn't zing pow and gone, you got to fight it!!! *The heart pumping life and death battle being fought by the fish, and our battle to conquer said fish is what it is all about! *Great report and posts by everyone.

Michael

Michael, thank for the comfort! That was a great feeling to have a big fish on and fight with it for awhile. Striped bass are different than catfish or trout. They fight harder than any other fish that I've caught in the past and it bought a feisty taste to me as well....lol...

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    I have had very good success when they are active (early and late) on schoolies with both clouser and wooly bugger patterns. *The buggers I like in all black and large, these will work for LMB's as well but I prefer stripping the buggers from a tube as opposed to the clousers which I use when wet wading from shore. *The school sized fish will come close to shore in the evening or morning and that's when you will have most success fishing from shore.

As far as lures I've mentioned it before but one of the more fun bites that has been very consistent recently is a bubble and fry combo, same setup as a fly and bubble but I use a tiny fluke or Lakefork fry imitation in a shad or silverside type pattern. *They have been slamming that setup for a couple months now and when I get tired of tossing the bigger swimbaits and want to fill up the freezer with fillet's this is kind of a no brainer. *Bite is normally about 1.5 hrs. before dark or early morning but with the lake opening after sunup now the best bite is over before the lake opens thus nighttime is my preferred fishing period also if overcast the bite can turn on much ealier. *So many lures will work but the fry is small right now so that's why I think the bubble setup is so effective on the smaller schoolies (some bigger ones are possible but usually stripers hang in like sizes, it's safer that way!) and since the baits are so small the bubble allows you to get it out there to them and also suspends the bait in their feeding zone.

I rarely if ever use bait so no advice on that one and if you want to target bigger stripers with lures that's a whole different story. *The setup I mentioned you will only need 6lbs. test type setup with like a 6.5 ft. rod, so light bass gear or even a trout rod would work, more fun that way.

Just wait when they start chasing the schools of shad up shallow (boil season!) or are attacking the LMB fry shallow, will start in a month or so, my favorite time of the year. *I just keep it simple and toss super spooks, you will be hooked as soon as those stripers start batting the bait up in the air, too much fun! *All that bite takes is a decent bass rod with not too stiff of a tip 6.5 to 7.5' rod and 6-10 lbs. test, this bite will usually have bigger models than you will see right now anywhere from 2-8lbs. is the norm..

PM for more "detailed" info..

Seal, thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions. Since I am new to striper fishing, the info and fishing tips that you gave me are going to be the great help in the future. I know that you have been hitting Silverwood Lake on a regular basis, you probably know this lake better than others and have this place dialed in. I value your opinion and I appreciate you sharing your knowledge and your experience with me here!

catching stripers is fun good job

Quote Originally Posted by striperboy View Post
    catching stripers is fun good job
    Thanks striperboy!

nice post welcome to the wood...

Quote Originally Posted by ghetto fisherman View Post
    nice post welcome to the wood...
    Thanks you!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast