Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Bait question

Default Bait question

I always go to Castaic and come back empty handed this time i wanna be armed with proper bait...i will be going to the small lake and will be fishing off the rocks ...can some one help me with the type of bait i can use there and also if you have spots to share i am all ears you can pm me please help!!!!

It depends what u want to fish for and what type of rods and reels u have. Please be more specific and I'm sure u will get good advice.

-The Original Bman!

Hey Bman
    i am using a regular spin cast with 7 ' rod and fishing for just about any thing i can get

Your best chance for success is to go to the upper lake and fish for striper. The fish are up chasing bait around 10 ft deep.

Use fresh sardines or get the best looking frozen sardines that you can get. Cut little fish steaks from them, square looking from the side. I prefer the belly pieces.

Try to fish on a point where the wind blows a current across it. Don't go to deep with you bait or you'll be fishing under them. If you fish 2 poles you might try to get one bait down around 60ft for a chance at a bigger one.

Good luck!
    Last edited by fishinone; 06-24-2013 at 11:04 AM. Reason: spelin

Quote Originally Posted by fishinone View Post
    Your best chance for success is to go to the upper lake and fish for striper. The fish are up chasing bait around 10 ft deep.

Use fresh sardines, get the best looking frozen sardines that you can get. Cut little fish steaks from them, square looking from the side. I prefer the belly pieces.

Try to fish on a point where tge wind blows a current across it. Don't go to deep with you bait or you'll be fishing under them. If you fish 2 poles you might try to get one bait diem around 60ft for a chance at a bigger one.

Good luck!
    What kind of rig do you fish the sardines with?

Quote Originally Posted by moparferlife View Post
    What kind of rig do you fish the sardines with?
    I use a sliding sinker 1/8 - 3/4 oz, even 2 oz., depending on the current and depth (lighter is better) with a 15 - 24 inch long 6 lb flouro leader. If the fish are really spooky I use a 4 lb flouro leader up to 4 ft long.

Work your baits at different depths, after you find out what depth works, move all of your baits to about that depth. On a hard drop off, your bait might be 5 feet from shore to be at a 10 ft depth and on a long point you might have to cast 100 ft out to get a 10 ft depth etc..

You can fish that 60 ft range from shore at Castaic if you pick your spots well. Go out a point and fish across the curved cove toward the bank to keep your line off the rocks or go down a curved cove and fish out toward the point. If you fish so that your line lays on bottom you'll have trouble detecting bites and get snagged a lot.

Fly lining also works well. Sometimes you have to fly line to catch fish. It's not my go to rig because I can usually catch higher numbers in a short time using the sliding rig.