Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Yellowfin TUNA from the surf...

Default Yellowfin TUNA from the surf...

I came across this video on Youtube... Awesome catch from the beach.. It looks like he got it on a hard bait... Check it out..

JerryG

Great Get. I started applauding when he tailed it. I love the Hawaiian English. "Big One huh"

I have seen cockroaches in Oahu the size of that lure. Seriously.

I sure wish we could have some YFT in the surf!

Check out this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-R-1...1C73&index=112

Quote Originally Posted by Ifishtoolittle View Post
    Check out this one.
    Ha Ha, Anato no okusan wa "worthless" desu ne. His wife kills the myth about japanese wives. She should of jumped in the water and tailed it. He looked like Michael Jackson moonwalking up and down the landing.

I think he must of been an employee of the harbor or something. notice how there are no other fisherpeople on the dock. And he has his van parked on the dock.

What's that strap he has on his chest?

Good one!

Root Beer
    Last edited by A W Root Beer; 06-18-2013 at 10:17 AM.

Cool vid Jerry. Haven't landed any tuna this year off the rocks but keep trying.
    Those King Harbor Tuna are tough, you never know when they are cruising.
    DR

Keep at it DR just like you said the bones can show up in KH Harbor at any time. I sure miss the days when they were in the KH all the time. That is as close as we are going to get to catching tuna from shore here in Socal. I remember when I was a kid 70's and early 80s I used to fish the bubble and feather and I would tie my feather about 3' behind my splasher and then another feather about 20" behind the first one and a third feather 20" behind second one. If I didn't get a double or a triple hook up on I would kick my reel in to free spool to the let the bonito swim back to the school pulling the feathers with it resulting in a triple hook up but those days are long gone... It was fun while it lasted.

JerryG

Nice find. I subscribe to Hawaiian fishing news. It makes for a funny read cuz they even write their stories in "pidgin" english. They catch them from time to time from shore. Mainly in places where there's a bank that drops off into the deep, although from the looks of the video, it doesn't look that deep there. On the Big Island, there's a place where guys use trash bags as floats and let the current take the line out with bait dangling below. They get ahi, dorado and sailfish. Have yet to see a marlin in any reports. When I was in the East Cape, we were hooking dorado within casting distance from shore. While we were bringing in a dorado, a striped marlin breached between us and shore, so it's definitely possible from shore. Probably unlikely that you'd be able to land it though cuz the drop off is MEAN there. If the fish were to sound at all, you'd be sawed off...be fun to try though!

Nice video. They were understandably stoked.

I've been on a party boat catching yellowfin tuna just off shore in Newport. We weren't far off shore, I wouldn't have been surprised if someone caught on from the surf that day.

I hooked up but lost the fish to a bad knot.
    Last edited by fishinone; 06-20-2013 at 04:02 PM.

These Imperial Beach Tuna would be a site to see.
    Check the pic at the website. It was a couple years ago.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2010/...s-stormy-surf/

Tuna for the taking in Imperial Beach
    IMPERIAL BEACH — Beachcomber Kevin Carlson says he never knows what the Pacific Ocean will deliver after a big storm, but Friday morning he encountered his most unusual discovery in more than 20 years of walking beaches.

Carlson found several bluefin tuna in the 35- to 50-pound class struggling in the surf line off Imperial Beach. He was just north of the Imperial Beach Pier and north of the first jetty when he spotted them. Carlson theorizes the tuna escaped from one of the tuna pens floating off the coast of northern Baja. Perhaps the recent storms tore open one of the pens.

“There were a lot of them out there,” he said. “More than a dozen, but a couple of them were fresh dead fish and a few others were struggling to get out of the shallow surf. Once they got into the surf line, they couldn’t get out.”

Carlson waded in and gathered up 35- and 50-pound bluefin and let the ocean have the rest.

“The Pacific Ocean has been wonderful and bountiful for me over the years,” Carlson said. “But in 20 years of beachcombing, I’ve never found anything like this. I’ve found lobster traps with lobsters in them, you name it. You just never know what the Pacific Ocean is going to give up.”

Carlson, who works on the sport boat The Long Run out of Marina Cortez on Harbor Island, said he plans to eat the tuna and save the carcasses for his hoop nets. He also hoop nets for lobsters.

Quote Originally Posted by Ifishtoolittle View Post
    I sure wish we could have some YFT in the surf!

Check out this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-R-1...1C73&index=112
    Notice the eel slithering over the cement block at about the 8:15 mark? Not sure I'd feel too comfortable climbing down there to grab that fish.

Just got my latest Hawaiian Fishing News in the mail. Some guy got a 71lb. yellowfin from shore while slide baiting an old, dead octopus for ulua (giant trevally) last month.
    Last edited by bachiboy; 06-28-2013 at 04:16 PM.