Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: How's Newport and Balboa Pier?

Default How's Newport and Balboa Pier?

Anyone been out there lately? I was out at Balboa a week and a half ago fishing from 2-5, nothing to show for it but still it was nice to be out fishing. Looking to get some macks for catfish.

Thanks everyone.

After a couple of outttings for fresh mac, i was finally able to pick up a few at balboa pier last tuesday. Mac has been hard to come by this year. All 8 of the ones i caught came in just a quick flurry. All caught during the day. The previous outtings at night did not produce. Worked hard to find them. Got a couple jigging sabikis, couple on the drop right off the pier near the top and a couple down deep. No real pattern to them. Made enough bait for the colorado river this weekend for big cats.

Hit Balboa pier on Saturday night and the Macks were nonexistent. We saw a couple caught at the corner on the end and that was it all night. They really have not showed up in any consistent numbers lately and I have no idea why.

Thanks for the response.

Read on another site that so-called they were selling buckets full of 6 incher. I'm thinking it's probably spanish mackerel instead of the blue mackerel.

I'll post if I get out tomorrow.

thanks again.

Try chumming. Chop up a big pile of anchovies or even Macs, small pieces. Keep a little chum going every couple minutes toss a small handfull. If they are around the chum will bring them in. If the sabiki isn't working try a piece of bait on a small hook.
    DR

brothers went out to Balboa yesterday around 1:30 until 7. They caught a few macks and lizard fish and that's about it.

Might hit up Newport and see how that pier is doing.