Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Looking for info for surf fishing in San Clemenet Beach area

Default Looking for info for surf fishing in San Clemenet Beach area

Heading down from Bako to the OC on Friday and will be hooking with some friends camping in San Clemente to get a couple of surf fishing sessions in. Will be targeting perch with camo sandworms, but will be taking my LC 110s with me as well. Hoping the surf won't be as rough as it was back in early April in Newport Beach. Anybody got a feel for type of conditions to expect there next weekend? We'll go anyways, but I'll be more excited if I know the waves won't be hammering me one right after another.

They want to fish the area around the campground, but there's a nasty hill one has to drag their gear up and down to fish there. Are there other areas around San Clemente with better access to the beach? From digging around web, it appears that San Clemente surf fishing is similar other Orange County areas. Haven't found any recent reports for San Clemente, so if anyone has been out and has advice they are willing to share, that would be appreciated. Hopefully will have some success and will get a great report posted up.

One last question, are waders still recommend this time of year? Found a post where they said the water was heading towards 73. Would be less gear to haul if the water is warm enough to leave the waders in the car.

I really appreciate any information and will report, like I always do, our successes and failures, hopefully not many on Saturday on Sunday.

FYI - On Monday, we're chartering the San Mateo out of Dana Point. Bringing Big Hammer Swimbaits, jigs, Krocs, butterflies and LC110s. Thinking it may be tough to fish the 110s off this boat, but we'll see,

have you tried"ol Mans"? Before driving into the camp ground, turn right toward the power plant. you can drive right down to the water. Lots of surfers but if you drive south as far as you can, alot of people surf fish right in front of the power plant. you also have Calafia, a couple of miles north where you can drive right down to the beach. it gets crowded with swimmers but if you get there early you can have the place to yourself. Ol mans is $15 a day for parking and calafia has metered parking. State beach passes work at both beaches. Unfortually I cant tell you what the conditions will be like. Might want to check Surfline.com to see what the waves will be like

Appreciate the info!