Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not really a report for Lake San Antonio - 6/7-6/9

Default Not really a report for Lake San Antonio - 6/7-6/9

I planned a trip with some friends to visit Lake San Antonio. We rented a cabin and headed up friday. The plan was to check out the lake and see if I could get some stripers.

Reading all the other reports, i took the tips and info and tried to apply them. One thing that i was told was that the water level was only 35% of where it should be. When i was trolling around, there was one point on the lake, in the middle of the lake and i metered the bottom being only 5ft down. I am talking about the middle of the lake and 5 ft of water.

Friday: arrived at lake around 7pm. It was hot, around 105 degrees at 7pm. Hit the water and started trolling, didn't see much and stopped trolling around 8pm when the sun was almost setting. Anchored at Harris Creek and threw out a few lines for catfishing. The catfishing was steady, except i made a mistake on 2 rods and had only 4lb line on them. I didn't realize harriss creek was going to have so many trees and branches so i lost many fish to the trees. Headed back to the cabin to meet all the guys that showed up.

Sat: 6am, hit the lake trolling solo. All my friends slept in. I didn;t meter much the first hour, found one area where my meter was blowing up. In a span of 200ft, i must have marked hundred of arcs. Next thing i knew, fish were blowing up and jumping all around me. However, the fish were not stripers, they were LMB or some other fish. I passed that area a few times, and they wanted nothing of my troll. Then I trolled south towards the dam. Metered fish a bit deeper around 30-50 ft so i busted out the DR. went round and round, but still no bites! it was close to 11am, and i got a text from my buddies that they wanted to hit the lake. I picked them up and since the troll has been slow and they just wanted action, i took them catfishing for the next 2 hours. Noon came, we headed back for lunch. From there, we chilled until 5pm and headed back out. Started to troll and then got hung, then lost my urig retriever. Since dinner was coming up, we decided since dinner was coming up, we just drove around the lake and then ate dinner till about 9pm and headed back out and went catfishing. Picked up a few and it was close to midnight so we called it and headed back in.

Sun: hit the lake at 7am since we had a late night goofing around. went to another area and once again, metered an explosion of arcs. It was just amazing how many fish were there, but no stripers. fish jumping every few seconds for about 500 feet, but no takers. I did get 3 hits on the u-rig but couldn't stick it. They seemed like smaller lmb. I thought about trying to target them, but i really wanted stripers.

Trolled until noon for nothing and by then it was time to check out and head home.

I really could not find large shad balls, wheter it be deep or shallow.

San Antonio is a very shallow lake compared to the la lakes. From the main marina to directly across the lake, the deepest part was maybe 45 feet. I could be 200-300 feet off the shore and its only 25feet.

I don't know if that had anything to do with shifting the shad and the stripers, but i just couldn't find them. I need more practice to understand the elusive striper.

Water temp was 71 in the morning and by late afternoon would be around 82. Very little wind, water color was a tint of green, vis maybe 3 feet. The staff said that the lake was extremely low due to some work being done on a pipe. It was only 35% full, so maybe that did something. Anyways, getting skunked on the striper just makes me want it that much more!

Will def need to plan another trip up there.

Thanks for the report.

Next trip out im there

i'm in! i think in a few months, it should really heat up and the bite should start.

Was the water that low when you went last month? It was surprising to see how low the water was there.

Thanks joe for the report.

We are going soon.

What makes you sure they weren't stripers busting the surface? Did you see them?

Lake gets lower is good!

Thanks joe for the info on your recon. Too bad you picked striperfest weekend to go to SA.

That's a hard trip to make on a skunk. Been there done that.

That place has lots of carp boils. Kinda shocked you didn't meter bait. Maybe they lowered lake level too fast. Agree w cb that less water good but that place can be tough.

Maybe we need to arrange a mini sf there in a few weeks. We will let Bob pick the moon phase!! Haha. Jk.

Thanks again FH for the update. I still haven't got my SA fish and that place still pumps me up.

Quote Originally Posted by MikesOcean View Post
    Thanks joe for the info on your recon. Too bad you picked striperfest weekend to go to SA.

That's a hard trip to make on a skunk. Been there done that.

That place has lots of carp boils. Kinda shocked you didn't meter bait. Maybe they lowered lake level too fast. Agree w cb that less water good but that place can be tough.

Maybe we need to arrange a mini sf there in a few weeks. We will let Bob pick the moon phase!! Haha. Jk.

Thanks again FH for the update. I still haven't got my SA fish and that place still pumps me up.

it could have been carp boils i was metering. i did see shad balls but they were small and few between. I booked the cabin months in advance so i couldnt change it once the striperfest date was set. It wasn't a full time fishing trip since most of my buddies dont fish. So i needed to compromise. Next time!

Quote Originally Posted by cutbait View Post
    Thanks joe for the report.

We are going soon.

What makes you sure they weren't stripers busting the surface? Did you see them?

Lake gets lower is good!
    for sure they weren't stripers, the color was either lmb or carp. plus i spent many times trolling thru them and my depth was perfect. I metered some random arcs in the 30-40 range along the sides by the dam and tried that, and then deeper by the dam, but really just didn;'t get them. The marina in the morning is filled with shad so if you have a net, you could spend some time to get them and use those.

When i checked my Navionics map on my iphone, it said the depth should have been 55 feet but i was in 25 feet, so i assume the lake is down 30+feet.

On a side note, there was some guy climbing the dead trees in harris creek and jumping into the water. I was just waiting for him to spear himself on a hidden tree... anyone who has been to harris creek will know what i'm talking about. rofl
    Last edited by flyhigh123; 06-10-2013 at 07:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by flyhigh123 View Post
    for sure they weren't stripers, the color was either lmb or carp. plus i spent many times trolling thru them and my depth was perfect. I metered some random arcs in the 30-40 range along the sides by the dam and tried that, and then deeper by the dam, but really just didn;'t get them.
    No other lake is as infested with carp.

My nickname was given to me because of the infestation

THE STRIPERS ARE AT SHOCKS ALLEY OR THE MEATBUCKET,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,M/O,,,,,,LOOKS LIKE I HAVE TO GO TO SHOW THE BOYS WHATS REALLY UP,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by TroutOnly View Post
    THE STRIPERS ARE AT SHOCKS ALLEY OR THE MEATBUCKET,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,M/O,,,,,,LOOKS LIKE I HAVE TO GO TO SHOW THE BOYS WHATS REALLY UP,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thats what I am saying!!!!!!

Make it a memorable Father's Day!!!

Show us rookies how its done!!!

And if your hammering em, I'm coming up so you can hook and hand to me. Lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast