Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad luck at SARL

Default Bad luck at SARL

went on Saturday morning 5/18 for 1 cat,
    Friday night 5/24 for 1 cat,
    Saturday night 6/8 for 1 cat

Lately I've been having bad luck at sarl and it sucks. I don't think I suck that bad at fishing because I did pretty good the past couple of seasons for trout and catfish I am pretty sure you guys have seen my previous posts , I had the lake pretty dialed in but ever since the lake was drained fishing went bad and I don't understand it. my dad has been itching to catch some cats but I just cant get him on any and I guess its time to look for a new lake since SARL is not providing. I am using the right bait, rods and set ups so I just don't know what to say. This is my home lake and where I learned how to fish so not being able to catch fish is just sad. I guess its time to hit up Irvine lake since they say that the vine is the best catfish lake in the USA. lets see about that

Im going to give SARL once last try and if nothing im done

time to hit up Irvine even though its a longer drive
    Last edited by Mr T-rex; 06-10-2013 at 03:25 PM.

if ur not getting hit move and keep moving till u find them. its going to be the same at irvine u have to keep moving till you find the fish ive been there and done that going to different lakes and i still got skunked lol the place thats hot one day might not be the next. a lake that has been drained is going to be a complete different ball game as they changed some stuff around in there

Ive done everything it takes to catch fish. fished from shore,boat and a tube for nada.
    tried the big lake,chris pond and also the catfish lake
    im not one to blame but what am I doing wrong? I see pics of all these people catching fish but every time that I go I cant kill it
    just letting a little frustration out lol

No replies ????

Quote Originally Posted by Mr T-rex View Post
    Ive done everything it takes to catch fish. fished from shore,boat and a tube for nada.
    tried the big lake,chris pond and also the catfish lake
    im not one to blame but what am I doing wrong? I see pics of all these people catching fish but every time that I go I cant kill it
    just letting a little frustration out lol
    lol it does get frustrating i know ive been there but hey thats fishing. i wonder whats going on at these lakes as all the reports i see are irvine and irvine and more irvine lol

I have fished SARL and Irvine lake for 25 years. The quagga mussels in Irvine have totally changed the environment, made the water very clear. The water at SARL since they have refilled it has been the clearest I have ever seen it. I have had to change fishing tactics at both lakes. You have t move around and try different tactics until you find what works. when the water is clear, catfish tend to be more structure oriented and bite much better in low light conditions.

Lol see you understand me. its just frustrating not catching anything and wasting 30 to 40$ every visit and when I see the pics im like dammit how come that cant be me. im not bad at fishing either lol I had good success at sarl before or any other lake.. im cursed or something lol

Quote Originally Posted by angelsfan951 View Post
    lol it does get frustrating i know ive been there but hey thats fishing. i wonder whats going on at these lakes as all the reports i see are irvine and irvine and more irvine lol

That's the problem Hollywood I tried everything.. moving spots, changing baits , bought new rods to cast further and nothing. I tubed the whole lake for nothing
    idk /: lol

Quote Originally Posted by hollywoodbass View Post
    I have fished SARL and Irvine lake for 25 years. The quagga mussels in Irvine have totally changed the environment, made the water very clear. The water at SARL since they have refilled it has been the clearest I have ever seen it. I have had to change fishing tactics at both lakes. You have t move around and try different tactics until you find what works. when the water is clear, catfish tend to be more structure oriented and bite much better in low light conditions.

try fishing the day of the stocking or next.

Morning hours/light out, I like to use M&M combo

Night hours/gloomy/overcast, I'll flyline mack chunks. I suggest using some added extra scent. I use hogwild, stuff stinks but works for me. Good luck out there.

Last time I fished SARL I caught 5 catfish in the last hour of daylight. It was overcast, they were biting shrimp. I used 8lb test. The cats were shallow near underwater vegetation (weed beds). There were baitfish in the area, birds diving on them and occasional catfish boil. That's how I found them. Guys fishing near me with mackerel were not getting bit. they were casting way out too deep. Everyday is different. The fish are there, just have to find the area, depth and bait they want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast