Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: 69 Years

Default 69 Years

69 years ago today tens of thousands of brave men launched the beginning envasion to take back Europe from the Nazis. Many did not come back from that war and the warriors that did come back are dying at a rate of 600 per day due old age. I hope that none of us will ever forget the great sacrifices that they made and the sacrifices that our brave men and women still make today in the Armed Forces.

A video of 69 years ago today, lets us never forget the “Greatest Generation” ever.
    http://nralifeofduty.tv/home/video/d-day-june-6-1944
    Last edited by DEVOREFLYER; 06-06-2013 at 03:10 PM.

I missed this when you originally posted it DF. Watching clips like that and knowing my father was one of those guys in the boats and watching them literally walk into the line of fire with no cover whatsoever gives me the chills every time. My father is still alive at 91 years old and can recall every minute he was there. He landed and walked all the way to Germany and was there when the Germans surrendered. After that he was on a boat on his way to Japan but turned around and came home due to Japan's surrender after getting whacked with the nukes. Sadly our young are not taught the true history of that war anymore and many know little to nothing about it. God Bless the "Greatest Generation", had they not stood up to tyranny, we would not be discussing this right now.

Thanks for posting this...

Said well HawgZWylde and thanks for posting that DEVOREFLYER. My dad passed away a year ago in May at 97 and he never forgot his young army days of WW 2. The older he got the more he talked about it to me, what great stories....Thanks dad you are my hero and R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by old pudd fisher View Post
    Said well HawgZWylde and thanks for posting that DEVOREFLYER. My dad passed away a year ago in May at 97 and he never forgot his young army days of WW 2. The older he got the more he talked about it to me, what great stories....Thanks dad you are my hero and R.I.P.
    OPF, my father never spoke of the war either until later in the years. But once he did, he talked about it a lot. He was very traumatized by it but never, ever let it get the best of him. He spoke of how difficult it was for him when he killed his first, and said it never got any easier even though he lost count by the time he got to Germany. Those generations were a very different breed than nowadays indeed. I'm afraid the kids of today are giving up on the freedoms and liberties our forefathers gave their lives and blood for us. Sad, very sad...

Dad was torpedoed 3 times during WWII, captain of all 3 Merchant Marines. I got a lot of stories about life but very few about the war.

I'm with you guys but wish I had heard more of the stories.

last year i gave an elderly man cuts in front of me at costco he had a ww2 vetrans hat on , i asked about where he served ,he was an 18yr man storming the omaha beach doing expolsives to bust a hole thru the germans barbed wire and steel and concrete blocks , looking into his bright blue eyes he made me proud to be an american, my father fought in the south pacific against the japanese for over 3yrs and made me proud to be his son,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,bob,,,,,,,,,,,

Each and every serviceman that has served our country in a time of war is a “HERO” in my book. My father inlaw was a gunner on a B17 in WWII. My late father was Navy UDT in WWII the forerunner of today’s Seals. He talked little of his time in the Pacific during WWII and I know that he never went to the beach or the ocean after the war that I can remember although he was a great swimmer and a lifeguard in high school.

It was after his death and while cleaning out his garage I came across a trunk with his Navy uniform and some Japanese souvenirs of war among other items. A shocking discovery was also found in the trunk. My mother’s younger brother was a Naval fighter pilot flying off of the aircraft carrier USS Lexington Fighter Squadron 20 in the Pacific and was shot down by antiaircraft fire and missing on a mission in the Phillipines.

In the few times my father spoke about the war he remarked that search and rescue of downed pilots was a part of his job. In my father’s trunk was my mother’s younger brother’s blood stained Navel flight helmet with is name on it and shattered aviator goggles and a hand written note of the rescue attempt. While on the search his team did not know who or what they were searching for, only a downed aviator. My dad and his team found his brother in laws plane wreckage and that local natives had removed and buried his body. He did not know that his brother inlaw was one of the aviator's they were searching for until he found the wreckage. He retrieved the flight helmet and goggles and had never told anyone that he had them. They were given to my mother’s youngest brother’s son that was named after the middle brother lost in WWII. The world is really smaller than we think it is.

They really were/are "THE GREATEST GENERATION" and we are losing 600 of them a day.
    Last edited by DEVOREFLYER; 06-13-2013 at 08:34 PM.