Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Grunion run assistance please

Default Grunion run assistance please

Does anyone know if the expected grunions on DFG web page is off?

I need to take some kids out and I don't want to disappoint them.

And if some one can be so kind as to direct me to a location around the OC area that they have success in seeing these little guys would be much appreciated.

Thank you

The DFG data are estimates. What they have on there are based on tide, moon patterns, etc. Try to go the 2nd or 3rd day. I usually get them in seal beach. You can also get them in Newport Beach, Balboa, and others but I found that Seal Beach has the best ideal setting for the grunnion to spawn.

There's no way to know when exactly they'll come in. You just have to put in your time and hope that it's your day.

Good luck!

Jake

Hey LightLine,
    Check out the thread- grunion didn't run last night( 5/26)
    According to info Dock Rat posted, the DFG Run info is 2 days earlier than the US National Ocean Survey info!
    I'll let you know if I see any grunion.
    C-ya
    Homefish

Seal is ideal but the crowds usually pick off the scouts which kills the run. I usually go to HB about 400 yards north of the pier and they are always there, just make sure to bring a powerful flashlight cuz there are no lights there and the current is strong.