Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Question: Redondo beach jetty

Default Question: Redondo beach jetty

On NOAA it says that KH will have SE winds at 5-10mph and may possibly go as high as 15 tomorrow 5/31/13. What do you guys think? Is that kind of wind nasty enough to stay away from the outer jetty? I've been at KH when winds were horrid and the waves look like they'd easily sweep one off the rocks. Thanks people.

-IF2L
    Last edited by Ifishtoolittle; 05-30-2013 at 02:54 PM.

Watch the incoming tide swing. That's when the sneaker sets roll in.
    Surfs up today. Not sure what time your going.
    You should be ok.
    DR

http://www.surfline.com/surf-report/...lifornia_4912/

It shouldn't be a problem. I say that cuz the swell isn't projected to be huge, according to Surfline.com. If the swells were up like last week, I'd say don't bother. Just keep a real close eye on things. If you see whitewater blown high on the rocks, you may want to think twice. It also depends when you're planning to head out there. If you're going out in the morning, you have a .21 low at 9:44am and that should be to your benefit. I haven't been out there for a few years but used to frequent the place. Be safe and good luck!!!

Don

Thanks guys.

thats a great website but how do you change the date, plus how do you read it?

thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by madbass View Post
    thats a great website but how do you change the date, plus how do you read it?
    thanks.
    Hey Alex,

If you go to a specific beach, wait for the beach cam to load. You'll see a gray bar appear with Pop-down menus (Cams & Reports, Regional Forecast, Spot Forecasts, etc.). Click on the Spot Forecasts and you'll see a listing that says Spot Forecast Summary. It will get you to the following page. I've attached links to Southern LA Beaches and Northern LA Beaches. Unless you subscribe, it only gives you 3 days worth, but updates everyday. It gives you SWELL height (not wave height, which can be higher depending on the structure of the beach), interval of swells (in seconds) and swell direction.

http://www.surfline.com/surf-spots-b...-angeles_2951/

http://www.surfline.com/surf-spots-b...-angeles_2142/

If you want other areas, click on the Forecast tab on the blue menu bar on the top and follow the choices through to the area you're looking for. Shoot me a PM if you run into any problems.
    Don
    Last edited by bachiboy; 05-31-2013 at 12:39 PM.

It should have been fine today and it looks good for tomorrow. When it gets big it can definitely get dangerous there though. I thought I would share a few weather pics I collected of Redondo getting slammed by big surf during the winter storms from the big El nino of 83. You know how tall those light posts and the white water splash is clearly above the lights..

The waves were actually breaking over the break wall rolling across the harbor channel and slamming in to the side of Portofino..

A wave inside the harbor cresting above the short pier with the ticket office the back ground about to slam in to the rocks and roll in to the parking lot.

Break wall damage from the storm.. These were the same storms that destroyed the Santa Monica break wall.

JerryG

Thanks for the trip down memory lane Jerry.
    Blue Moon Saloon took a big hit too.

Here are a few more..

A shot of Hermosa on a big day with King Harbor in the back ground.

Manhattan on big day.

Another El Nino of 83 storm shot

And another one.

A shot from Laguna down in OC from the same set of storms.

and the same set of storms again up in Malibu..

JerryG