Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: SD County Beach 5/29 am sesh

Default SD County Beach 5/29 am sesh

Hit the sand this morning with my good friend Brian in search of flatties. Got to the spot at 7:50am and on the sand at 8:00am. Conditions were much better than last week but the tide was at a -.7 and eel grass was making it's presence known. Had my usual arsenal with me....Van Staal VS100, 20lb Sufix 832 Braid with a 10lb mono leader tied to the end via Uni to Uni all mounted on the Lamiglass G1311. Had the usual array of Flashminnow 110's in the bag. Got to the waters edge and we had to decide which way to go because the structure was amazing to the north and south but we picked north. The tide was at a minus so we were just hoping there would be some hungry fish laying up in the troughs and holes. Even though it minus tide the areas we picked to fished went from a foot of water down to 3 or more feet of water in certain areas. We worked the beach over with everything we had and I finally got on the board with a decent perch. As tide started to fill the salad bar was getting replenished at a quick rate. We finally decided to head back but agreed we would hit all the structure that we had already fished as we headed back. Stopped at a hole that had filled in nicely and I made a cast into the salad bar. I got two cranks of the handle in and my line stopped followed by the sweet feel of head shakes. Not much fight after that and soon my target species was landed, a short 20 inch Hali. No legals today but the target was acquired so I was happy. Brian wore the stripe but he was having gear problems all morning. If it hadn't been for the trouble he was having I am sure he would have gotten him some fish. Thanks for reading everyone

Decent perch on the Nishiki

The short butt on the MS Aurora Black

One of the many holes we hit along with Brian doing some trouble shooting.

Later on in the day I stopped by a local tackle shop to look around. Checked out the new Phenix Bermuda Spinning Rods. Fell in love with this one so it came home with me. Could be a butt slaying stick in the making.

Nice inshore hole in that pic.
    Thnx for the report.
    DR

Bob, you are a tackle whore! When you get tired of that Van Staal, I'll be ready to make an offer...($5 and and a handshake obo).

Great report as always. Guess you don't know the meaning of skunk.

Way to go Bob. Glad you were able to find some of the target species out there. Great looking stick you've got there too! Hope it brings you a ton of the flatfish of the right kind!

Great report as always and thanks for sharing...
    Don

Keep it coming bob! good stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by DockRat View Post
    Nice inshore hole in that pic.
    Thnx for the report.
    DR
    There were another 6-8 areas just like the one in the pic except they were all filled with a ton of eel grass.

Quote Originally Posted by skunked4life View Post
    Bob, you are a tackle whore! When you get tired of that Van Staal, I'll be ready to make an offer...($5 and and a handshake obo).

Great report as always. Guess you don't know the meaning of skunk.
    I am definitely a tackle HO, LOL. Don't think I am going to get tired of the VS any time soon. I have more than my fair share of skunks and I will make reports when they happen. I believe they are just as important as good days are.

Quote Originally Posted by bachiboy View Post
    Way to go Bob. Glad you were able to find some of the target species out there. Great looking stick you've got there too! Hope it brings you a ton of the flatfish of the right kind!

Great report as always and thanks for sharing...
    Don
    Thank you!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sonnyyy View Post
    Keep it coming bob! good stuff!
    Thanks!!

Thumbs up

Nicely done Bob, any time you get the target species is considered a success in my book, well done.
    Great looking new rod, may it brings you good fortune in the surf.

Great looking fish and love that reel. SP Dan has one and you can't get it out of his hands. LOL

Keep at it and lets see a legal soon on that new rod.

WWO
    Last edited by Which Way Out; 06-01-2013 at 05:17 PM.

Target species, CHECK!
    WTG on the flatty. Those bigger shorts could put up a good fight sometimes.
    I wish I had a VS. Im jealous.
    Thanks for the report

Thien