Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Annual Memorial Weekend Edison Lake Trip - Late Report

Default Annual Memorial Weekend Edison Lake Trip - Late Report

Lake Thomas A. Edison - The Western Sierras

I missed this trip last year so I was really looking forward to it... Plus I brought my 8 year old for the first time.

We arrived... All the way from Simi Valley and after stopping in Fresno to pick my brother and a buddy... at about an hour before dark. Dad, my uncle and his brother were already there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2103.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	41053

So we set up camp, drank, made dinner, told lies and talked $#^& around the fire until it was time to hit the tents.

Woke up early in the morning and had breakfast before launching the boats... Very little weather with the same demand for water has the lake very low but that didn't stop us.

Name:	IMG_7210.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	41064

I had my son and our buddy Ralph on my boat. We trolled for about 40 min when finally my sons blue n white rapala got slammed. My boy fought the 14 inch brown like a champ and the skunk was off our boat. Then about 10 minutes later Ralph pulls in a brown about the same length but a lot fatter. About 30 minutes later it was my turn when a beautiful 19" brown took my orange rapala.

Name:	IMG_2055.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	41056

It was a slow but steady pick of fish for us all morning. My dad and brother did a little better than us but the nice part was all of the keepers were in the 14 to 16 inch range with 2 in the 19 to 20 inch class... All Browns.

Here's our stringer after the morning.

Name:	IMG_3344.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	41054Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3481.jpg 
Views:	311 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	41055

Went back to camp for lunch and followed some smoke to a small forest fire about 200 yards above camp.

Name:	IMG_5632.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	41057Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6770.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	41058

Cleared brush and limbs from the area and let the Resort Store owners know to call the fire fighters. They showed up and asked lots of questions and said they were gonna camp out next to the log that was on fire and let it burn out. It was a little nerve racking camping so close to a forest fire... albeit small... but we were comforted knowing the fire fighters were right on top of it.

Back to the fishing... We went out for a while that evening and caught a few more. In the morning my dad and I went out for a couple hours and picked up 4 more. Here's one of the beatiful Browns that my dad caught. The colors are just amazing.

Name:	IMAG0943.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	41059

At the end of the day and a half of fishing we ended up with 24 keepers amongst the 7 anglers. All were browns but one nice rainbow that looked like a salmon.

At about noon on Sunday we packed up and headed home... I can't wait till next year. There's nothing better than good times with friends and family out in the wilderness.

Here's a few parting pics of a beautiful time out on the water.

Name:	IMAG0940.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	41060Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0941.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	41061Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0942.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	41062Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9768.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	41063

Nice!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vampirebret View Post
    Nice!!!!!!
    v bret... aren't you from the Fresno area?

If so... you need to get up there. Edison, Florence, Courtwright, Wishon. Get away from the crowds and you dont have to pay to camp or launch a boat.

If those that go up there respect the the privledge... Things will stay that way.

Yes I am from Fresno. Believe it or not, I don't fish the higher lakes. I tend to stay low and I'm not really into trout fishing. I do it once in a while though. The last time I was up that high was last summer when I skip Edison to fish Ward lake instead. That lake is on fire! You can literally catch trouts by hands and my son and daughter had a blast chasing them along the shorelines. Trouts at the lake bit all day and you don't even have to throw it far. There was a rocky point where my nephews were literally just dropping their bait down 10-20 feet for fish. One nephew even said he'll catch a fish in 5 seconds after dropping his bait down and guess what, he did. Fishing there was fast and furious that in 30 minutes of fishing, we landed 35 fish between 12 people. Needless to say, we all maxed out in an hour and were all sitting around camp just twirling our thumbs. So for the rest of the day, some of my nephews just did catch and release, while others took a dip in the small lake, and the rest either stayed at camp or went hiking. Fun place to fish and a great place to put a kid on a hungry trout. LOL
    I was thinking about hunting for deer around Edison this year. If that plan goes through, I'll be hunting during the morning and evening and fishing in between times. LOL.

Fantastic fish! ... NICE work

Are they public lakes? Or, do you need to have a connection with Edison?

Quote Originally Posted by billy b View Post
    Fantastic fish! ... NICE work

Are they public lakes? Or, do you need to have a connection with Edison?
    Public Lakes... The ones I mentioned are all in the Western Sierras above Shaver Lake. Look up Vermillion Valley Resort, or Wishon Village on the Net to find out about these

Quote Originally Posted by vampirebret View Post
    Yes I am from Fresno. Believe it or not, I don't fish the higher lakes. I tend to stay low and I'm not really into trout fishing. I do it once in a while though. The last time I was up that high was last summer when I skip Edison to fish Ward lake instead. That lake is on fire! You can literally catch trouts by hands and my son and daughter had a blast chasing them along the shorelines. Trouts at the lake bit all day and you don't even have to throw it far. There was a rocky point where my nephews were literally just dropping their bait down 10-20 feet for fish. One nephew even said he'll catch a fish in 5 seconds after dropping his bait down and guess what, he did. Fishing there was fast and furious that in 30 minutes of fishing, we landed 35 fish between 12 people. Needless to say, we all maxed out in an hour and were all sitting around camp just twirling our thumbs. So for the rest of the day, some of my nephews just did catch and release, while others took a dip in the small lake, and the rest either stayed at camp or went hiking. Fun place to fish and a great place to put a kid on a hungry trout. LOL
    I was thinking about hunting for deer around Edison this year. If that plan goes through, I'll be hunting during the morning and evening and fishing in between times. LOL.
    Yeah... Ward lake is a good spot for the kids if its been recently stocked.

I haven't hunted the Edison area in years... Since I moved to SoCal... But my Dad, brother and cousins still hunt it sometimes. Lots of deer and bear in the area.

I love that whole area... From Kaiser pass to Rogers Ridge. I grew up hunting and fishing those mountains and waters. Those were the days!

Nice looking brownies and great report!