Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Corona Lake 5/27/13 no cats, just Talapia

Default Corona Lake 5/27/13 no cats, just Talapia

Hi all! First time posting...

Got to lake at 4:45 and was third car waiting. Bought two boxes of nightcrawlers and one box of redworms. Got to shore south of the boat ramp. Was hoping to catch some catfish, but the bite was non-existent. I didn't see anyone catching cats at all. What was caught though were talapias and blue gil. Talapia don't really take off with the bait. They will nibble a little and lightly pull. You have to man your pole and get ready to hook 'em. I caught 5 talapias, 1 blue gil, and 1 crappie. At 8:30pm, the bite died altogether. Went home at 9pm.

I think the temperature is too cold for catfish to be active. This weekend would be prime for catfish action as the weather will reach into the 90s.

Thanks for reading. Sorry for not having pics.

Quote Originally Posted by t&t View Post
    Hi all! First time posting...

Got to lake at 4:45 and was third car waiting. Bought two boxes of nightcrawlers and one box of redworms. Got to shore south of the boat ramp. Was hoping to catch some catfish, but the bite was non-existent. I didn't see anyone catching cats at all. What was caught though were talapias and blue gil. Talapia don't really take off with the bait. They will nibble a little and lightly pull. You have to man your pole and get ready to hook 'em. I caught 5 talapias, 1 blue gil, and 1 crappie. At 8:30pm, the bite died altogether. Went home at 9pm.

I think the temperature is too cold for catfish to be active. This weekend would be prime for catfish action as the weather will reach into the 90s.

Thanks for reading. Sorry for not having pics.

Great first post. Glad you caught some fish.

You're using the wrong bait to catch cats. Although cats will bite both of those, I catch much more cats with mackerel and shrimp. Try that next time.