Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Thank God for Tilapia

I hope you had a great time catching those fish. I was down there this morning and caught over 100 by myself in seven hrs. I got tired of cleaning them but I love the eating they provide. I wish that there were still corvina left down there but those are times long past now. DT

Hello Alice. The schools of Tilapia are extremely dense in the Salton Sea, so they are very easy to catch, except that they don't bite very well on much but worms. I decided we had better take a few pictures, and Eunice just happened to catch a fish then, but she is adept at catching them of course.

Yes, we got tired of cleaning even those 36 Tilapia, Dsrt Tortise. I never went fishing there when there were Corvina or other species, unfortunately, but I would like to have other species there in the future after hopefully the place is rejuvenated.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Lefty View Post
    I think the state of California could have a commercial Tilapia fishery at the Salton Sea and maybe pay off some of its debt as there are so many countless millions of the critters there, and the water is actually very free of pollution even if it is murky.
    This is not true. The Salton Sea is toxic. The Alamo River, which is polluted, and The New River, which is the most polluted river in America (there's polio in it) empties into the Salton Sea. Nothing but tilapia are in the sea and they don't live very long. Thousands of dead tilapia line the shore of the Salton Sea.

You obviously haven't read the rest to this thread, Mr. Jaws and Catfish. The Salton Sea is very far from being toxic, except where the polluted rivers enter at its southern end. Those are I believe polluted with biological stuff (germs), not chemicals, and the Salton Sea is quite clean chemically. This is not just my opinion. This is from people who test the water there. It looks and smells yucky, is overloaded with nutrients, but they say it's is pristine in terms of chemicals. The other species died out due to a combination of overly high salinity and low oxygen levels, making spawning unworkable for these species.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Lefty View Post
    You obviously haven't read the rest to this thread, Mr. Jaws and Catfish. The Salton Sea is very far from being toxic, except where the polluted rivers enter at its southern end. Those are I believe polluted with biological stuff (germs), not chemicals, and the Salton Sea is quite clean chemically. This is not just my opinion. This is from people who test the water there. It looks and smells yucky, is overloaded with nutrients, but they say it's is pristine in terms of chemicals. The other species died out due to a combination of overly high salinity and low oxygen levels, making spawning unworkable for these species.
    The New River is contaminated with both biological and chemical pollutants.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW-B1oAK1fM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=036Uy5FhtA8

http://www.ibwc.state.gov/Files/CF_C...ico_060710.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Jaws and Catfish View Post

This is from IID website.
    New River pollution from Mexico, although an issue at the border, is not significant as the river enters the Salton Sea. In fact, by the time the river reaches the sea, the water quality has improved due to the addition of agricultural drain water and through natural cleansing occurring in the intervening 60 miles.The sea is considered a Rec I swimmable water body by the California Regional Water Quality Control Board. The primary water quality problem currently facing the sea is the salinity level. Agricultural pesticides have never been detected in the sea at levels to cause a public health concern.

I have seen the same thing about the New River. Scientists have found that natural vegetation along the final 60 mile stretch to the Salton Sea are effective at removing pollutants and cleaning the water. In fact, scientists are developing similar techniques to be used intentionally to clean polluted water, of chemicals, microorganisms and various impurities including sewage. Obviously, plants thrive on the nutrients found in water.

How many dead horses can one beats up? Seriously though, let those who continue to beat the dead horses until there are no bones left to be beaten into powder. Those who know better will mount on living horses, and ride into the glorious sunsets.

By the way, please, don't utilized presentation that contain both the past facts to project the current and future conditions of subjected sites. Unless you know how to interpret the collective information properly, it's not good to utilize it to your advantage, since plenty of able intellectual bodies will turn your foundation of knowledge up-side-down.

Those who are in the media are, for better of a statement, lack the knowledge to present their findings, since most of what they're trying to represent through the media are half presented facts.

I think you mentioned somewhere on Facebook that the Salton Sea is found to be cleaner chemical-wise than Lake Tahoe, didn't you Leo? The Salton Sea is a weird place, though. Strange and beautiful, that's for sure.

My brother Bruce as you know Leo, works in the Tahoe field office, so he knows all about the water quality issues of Tahoe and surrounding areas. But Tahoe is still fairly clean, although not up to historical standards.

I spoke with Bruce on the phone a couple of days ago, and he mentioned that Silver King Creek will be rotenoned during the third week of August, then restocked with Paiute Cutthroat only. He also invited me up there and told me about some fishing spots I didn't know about, but we have 5 young kittens to take care of here with no cat parents, just us.

Not only on FB, but pretty much on California Fishery Reports and Water Quality Report. Salton Sea is definitely a weird place to behold.

Tahoe is indeed a clean water body, but at the same time, there are underlying issues with TMDL. Region 7 works very hard to get the Sea to be cleaned up under a unique TMDL program management, and every since 2003, the Sea has gotten a tremendous rehab, even though poor media flocking created a desolate image of the Sea. Tahoe still has much to go through to bring it to a pristine level, based on historical data, and current pollutant loading levels. However, 2011-2012 fish tissues analytical data was a bit astounding as it was compared from northern to southern regions. I'm still salivating with anticipation on the 2012-2013 and 2013-2014 data about the water bodies.

If Bruce mention such precious info on the cutthroats, make sure to bring your fly rod and light gears to enjoy the fun, that is, if you can get away from the 5 kittens. He's a local with secrets up there, so, try your best to take advantage of that. Take lots of blue-white-glitter streamers with you for those crazy cutthroats.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast