Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Saturday Whiskers

Default Saturday Whiskers

I am very fortunate to have a job I love so I wasn't upset at all about having to work on my birthday earlier this week (made it to fifty...yay!) But Saturday was coming and I wanted to celebrate a little so of course, I decided to go fishing. Wound up at Corona Lake chasing those hard-fighting catfish they've been talking about. Parked the boat mid-lake and tossed out the offerings: half a shrimp on one rod, big hunk of mack on the other. Needed to make a short move to find the fish but it was quickly game on with a pair of 4-lb class whiskers. Looked to be fresh channels, might have been one blue. I can never tell.
    Bite died as soon as it started and a move to some shallow water was needed to find new fish. Found a spot with a clear casting lane among the snags and dropped a hunk of mackerel, must have been right on someone's head because I was bit pretty quickly. Nice cookie-cutter 4-lb fish for #3 in the limit. A friendly tuber passed off a spot that looked to holding half the hatchery (no kidding, this spot was plugged full of fish) and it took all of two casts and about ten minutes to fill the limit. Off the water by 2:00 for a much-needed cold drink, Tom's Farms for the best cherries yet this season and then home.
    Tackle today was a 2500-size Stradic loaded with 8-lb. clear Ande riding a medium-action Ugly Stick and a Torium 14, 15-lb. clear Ande on an 800XL Calstar (just love the feel of the stick!) Both rods saw action, and both did what they do best.
    Final count: one five-fish limit of sweet-meated catfish and a much needed day on the water.
    Thank you, Craig, for doing what you do for those of us who fish your lakes.
    Last edited by Marley; 05-25-2013 at 08:35 PM.

Glad to hear marley I'm thinking of headin out Monday with my tube

How was the crowd out there?

Quote Originally Posted by Perris_holic View Post
    How was the crowd out there?
    All the pontoons were rented and quite a few of the motors, but the lake was not appear crowded. Not a lot of shoreline space, though. Seemed light for a Saturday, but it was daytime. When I left there were about a dozen cars already waiting for night time fishing, so I'm guessing the evening shift was busy.

Man, I miss my shore fishing friends! Sounds like an awesome time. Been ill, will be off the water for a while :( REALLY APPRECIATING all the posts- thank you.

Happy Birthday Marley :) life is good!
    Last edited by Karyn; 05-27-2013 at 03:49 PM.

Thanks Karyn, it was a fun trip. Best wishes for a speedy back-on-the-water recovery.

Nice going on the kittys Marley, happy belated!

TD