Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Count it for points!

Default Count it for points!

Prologue

Well, here is my brief account of the last few trips leading up to yesterday. A couple of weeks ago, I went out with murrieta angler as he graciously invited me to get the stink of skunk off of my back. Didn't happen. A week later, another invite and sure enough, the man delivered. Ended the day with a couple of dink perch on the LC, but learned alot from the geezer! As some of you may recall, that was D-day..."D" for Dlmoo312. I went out for a couple of short solo "recon" missions to see how my old haunt was doing. I see some life! Things were picking back up there. Fished with Jaysuun, Daniel and Thien, learned some more beaches but nothing really happening for me. I was starting to lose confidence. Still, I was meeting new brothers and enjoying my time out there. Last Sunday, before church, Daniel, Thien and I hit up some spots and got the halibut skunk off with an ultra short...only 10 inches from being legal though!

05/22/2013
    AO: home
    Gear: Crucial rod, Chronarch reel, 20 lb power pro, LC (the blue one with pink - that's how I name them)
    Conditions: Not good. Rough waves.
    Time: 5:30 to 6:45 a.m.
    Weather: Overcast and slight winds at 5 to 6 mph but in the wrong direction!

My little boy had to go in for some oral surgery on major dental work today so it was a skip work day. I was stressed out and worried all night because it was to be a 2 hour procedure under anesthesia. I couldn't sleep and had worked all night the night before. Ptn had given me suggestions as to where to go for an ultra short session, but I ended up making the call to stay on home turf. Really, all I wanted was some time on the sand to think about life and maybe get some confidence back by landing some perch.

Get to the AO by 5:15 am. I realize that now having waders means I can't just jump out of my car and fish. So, I got ready after I parked. Hit the sand at 5:30 and first cast was driven back by the wind to about 40 yards in front of me. Ugh...Sokay though, my first hit! A ten inch BSP on the LC. I will take it!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1st lil fry (smaller).jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	40888

Decided that I would keep moving as the waves were rough and I could see tiny glimmers of structure in between the 3 second sets. Another cast, another hit. BSP on all three prongs of my lower treble. Had a hard time getting this guy loose but did it and he managed to swim away unharmed.

Kept powering on while making a dozen casts every 3 to 5 steps. Hit another BSP, this time about 11 inches. Sooo, the place is producing again huh? Feeling great, I decide to stop at the last tower where I had managed my last legal in January. I wait for a moment when the wind let up a little and I heave the LC as far as I can. It still doesn't go very far. I see it land on top of a 4 foot wave and then as soon as it disappears....THUD! Fish on! At first I thought, "Monster Perch!" Okay, I will take it! I can barely feel the weight of the fish because of the slack in my line produced by the furious waves, but I know it is still on. As I get it a little closer, I feel...HEADSHAKES! It was about 30 yards in front of me when I see it at the top of the next wave (about 2 feet in height) and I see white. It's a halibut and it isn't small. I bring it up quickly and it is thrashing all about. It looks close...A nearby surfer runs over to help me take its measurements. We tried to get a clear shot, but it was flipping and turning. Just then, it slapped away the pliers in my hand and there goes the pliers into the deep blue. I finally manage a couple of pictures.

Name:	22+(2).jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	40890

Name:	np hali(2).jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	40889

Name:	so proud(2).jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	40891
    The surfer confirmed its 22+inch size, though it looked questionable in the pictures. In the middle of all of the excitement, I end up losing my knife as well. I quickly released it (the Commander says that he doesn't keep barely legals, so I follow suit) and went for another cast, where there's one, there's bound to be more right? Well, the LC flew off, I had nothing the cut my line with even if I retied another LC, so I decided it was time to leave.

I quickly text the Commander and head home. The Commander informs me that it is a close call as to whether he can award me points and to confer with my teammates. They agreed that it was legal even after I tried to downplay it and play devil's advocate. I don't want to be heralded a cheater. The final decision was made and the Rookies had caught up! Dead even in points right? WRONG....see Murrieta Angler's report...Ugh, er I mean CONGRATS Robert!

Epligoue

I tell my wife about my adventure. First, she says, go buy some new pliers, you will need them for this weekend and gives me a $20. Yeah, laugh it up fellas, but my wife's good with money and I am good with everything else, so she handles the money. She just went back to work and we are trying to get back on our feet so even $20 dollars is a big deal. Don't feel sorry though, we are doing just fine, the point is how awesome my wife is. Then, wifey says, "I'm glad that you didn't keep the halibut...your reputation and the prestige of S.W.A.T. is much more important to me and the boys." AWESOME! She has been craving halibut for 3 months now. Simply awesome. I love my wife!

Q.E.D.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22+ (compressed).JPG 
Views:	145 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	40887   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	np hali (compressed).JPG 
Views:	123 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	40886  

Nice job on the legal Hali, barely legal, but it's a legal.
    Robert did burst the Youngsters bubble though, hahaha

Looks pretty close, but that's a legal, nice job getting the rooks some points.

I told you Ken you were going to catch something bigger soon . Now time for the really big boys and get your induction fish. I'm stoked for you since you've been putting in work and fishing your butt off for butts.. Congrats on the legal! Sounds like you already got a real keeper at home . I thought us, Rooks, were finally tied and that old geezer pulls a miracle out of water.. Still, your catch is something to be proud of and now you can breathe that sigh of relief of catching a legal.

-Peter

Nice job on the legal flattie. Bummer about the lost gear. Thanks for the report and pics.

Alright Ken!!!! Way to go man! A legal is a legal...and it's all points, albeit for the other team! Still, I'm really stoked for you. You've been putting in some serious time out there and it finally paid off. That induction fish is right around the corner...just make sure it's after the 31st so us "old guys" can claim at least one months victory.

Big Congrats!!!
    Don

Howdy Ken,
    Arthur had told me about your legal and it immediately put a smile on my face..
    I know how frustrating it can be to get on a skunk streak or bsp run, but it has to end eventually and yours ended with a legal flatty...
    Don't ever sweat the small things, like pliers or knives. Just bring it up and someone will have an extra one lying around...
    Nice report and good to see one from you.
    Robert
    <><

So, does this mean your gonna change your handle??? Setting yourself up for disappointment with that lol. We need to start a 20# club. get a pair of hemostats, and clip em to your windbreaker. They are always there when you need em.

Thumbs up

Congrats on the legal Halibut Ken... must have been the new waders, lol
    How did that little guy knock the pliers out of your hand and into the water??? Let a 30"+ do that to you and YOU will end up in the surf.
    Nice job on getting Team Rookies some points to keep things close...
    It's going to be a close one down the stretch.

As of today, Thursday 5/23/13
    Team Veterans - 110 Points
    Team Rookies - 90 Points

Great job out there Ken. Sometimes those little legals can be real feisty. I underestimated one once when I had it barely lip hooked on a long shank drop shot rig. I made the mistake of trying to remove the hook with my fingers. In an instant the bugger twisted it's jaw and grabbed my finger. You only make this mistake once....LOL
    I've seen SWAT members lose everything from a $100 boga grip to a $400 combo so a pair of pliers or a knife is no sweat! Just a pain in the butt.
    As for the wifey controlling the money.....probably a good idea!

Keep up the good job sir!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast