Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Huntin' HVT's in the LBC (5/21)

Default Huntin' HVT's in the LBC (5/21)

Today was the 1st time I hit up the surf and sands since moving from Oceanside back to the OC about a week ago. My personal mission is to beat all of my PB fish records and pop a few cherries along the way by means of surf fishing before I move to San Antonio, Texas. The 2 main fish I have my sights on right now are Halibut (HVT #1) & White SeaBass (HVT #2) and beat my halibut PB of 29" and the pop my cherry on a surf Ghost.

The evening before the hunt I was able to pre-prep my gear with some fresh 12# Invis-X on both my "weapons", 7'6" Shimano Clarus - Shimano Citica G6 & 7'6" Phenix Recon - Abu REVO SX. Each was paired with a brand new LC I'd picked up at Angler's back in Oceanside in never before used colors (by me), Super Glow Sardine and MH Ghost Sayori.

Plan was to hit up an old AO's in the LB where I got my 1st legal halibut many....many....many moons ago at grey light but I had a late start due to a late night. I sprung up and out if the rack at 0645 and according to online intel, high tide will be around 7:30ish. Good thing I had all my gear staged, prepped, and ready to go even wore what I was wearing on the water to bed so I didn't have to waste time changing." You can. Take the boy out of the Infantry but you can't take the Infantry out of the boy!!" I kissed wife & kids, took care of the dog and tippy toed out the casa to only be greated by the OC/LA morning time traffic (which I'm going to really miss in Texas hahahaha)

Got to the AO in reasonable amount time to calm seas, overcast, light wind and the whole beach to myself. The water was on the dirty green side but I did'nt see diapers, condoms, various balloons, or trash in the water so I should be good-2-go.

Thanked the good Lord for another day of breath, enjoy the beauties of His creation.

Fished for about an hour and finally hooked the 1st fish of the day when the sun peeked out of the clouds.

Fan casted that spot a few more times because the trench looked pretty good when BAM! This little guys with "little man syndrome" decided he wants to play tug-o-war. He hit it hard but couldn't pull worth crap lol.

I continued working my way north up the beach some more for not even a bump. Called it quits at about 1230 when the tide was low. Lots of shells on that beach which makes it hard to walk without sinking a foot or two in some spots.

Talked to another guy out there and he said last week he pulled up 2 shorts out of there but wearing the stripe that morning. I figured it'll be tough there considering everyone and their mom knows about that spot and must've been overfished.

Glad I was able to pull on something and gotten out to fishing more since retiring for the Corp back in November.

The 30" HVT halibut is out there somewhere and I will find him. Along with the legal Ghost. I have a few other spots in my brain housing group I'd like to check out.

Thanks for reading and God bless guys and gals.
    Last edited by Re8elmonk0341; 05-22-2013 at 02:54 AM.

Moving to San Antonio ? Now we losing a good poster....
    Sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by DockRat View Post
    Moving to San Antonio ? Now we losing a good poster....
    Sucks.

More like poser lol. Yeah San Antone for school

Very nice, very nice. You know what you should do before you move, type up a good ol execution checklist. That way you can share your knowledge of what sort of PCCs and PCIs people can do before executing a successful mission.

Glad you didn't leave empty handed though. This weekend were going to do some night surf fishing. Local intel and sat imagery reports many elusive halibut patrolling shortly off the beach.

San Antonio sounds like an air Frame or Jet engine school???? Some nice lakes in the area, small mouth and bucket mouths in that area.

Sorry, I noticed I put the wrong date.....suppose to be 5/21.

Hey Rithy,
    Good to see you hit the sand!
    You got a couple of fish and worked on your tan...
    Don't be too happy about San Antonio, there's plenty of traffic there also...
    At least you will get to fish the gulf, it's not too bad of a drive from there.
    Thanks for sharing Bro,
    Robert
    <><

Congrats on the skunkbusters man! Sorry to see you leaving So Cal cuz you've always contributed some great reports and eye candy. We'll be looking for those out-of-state reports from you in the Gulf! Hurry up and go get them HVT's before you leave so we can get that last GREAT report from you!

Take care...
    Don

Thanks for the report! I hope you can accomplish your goals before you take off to Texas. Good luck out there.

-Peter

Thanks for the report! I hope you achieve your goals before leaving to San Antonio!
    I'll be keeping an eye out for those out of state reports

-Daniel