Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: New Spotfin area 5-19-13

Default New Spotfin area 5-19-13

Sorry for the late report. I have been trying different area for Spotfin. But I have no luck till today. my plan was to fish the morning, but that did not happen my body did Not want to get up. I told my wife we will hit the beach around 3 or 4 she said ok. we got to the beach and had trouble finding a spot to park. finally someone leave we take there spot. we head to the surf and I already see about 4 other guys surf fishing. I get my pole set up and then I start looking for sand crabs. they were everywhere but not most of them were small. got a few put them in the bucket. so I but a sand crab on a cast it out. I feel a few hits but nothing want to stay on. they guys to my left where getting spotfin. they got two since I was there. I notice the bait they were using. so I made a run to a place that was walking distance from where we were fishing to get some mussel. I get a bucket full and come back and hit the surf with it. I keep on try but I was not getting any hits so I change my set up. I but on some mussel and I get hit. I reel in a 12 inch corbina. I know there were spotfin in the surf. so I keep changing my bait to keep a fresh mussel on. I was past high tide the wave were getting bigger but I keep at it. then I finally get hit hard. I know that I had a spotfin on this time. I battle it for about 5 mins. I get it in and see it is a smaller spotfin that I'm used to getting. so after that I called it a day since my wife was getting cold.

WTG on the bait. I was checking out some ghost shrimp at Ace fishing tackle on Crenshaw near Alondra park yesterday thinking about bait surf fishing.
    DR

Hey Greg,
    You got 2 good looking fish and dinner to boot!
    Can't beat that.
    Robert
    <><

Nice fish bowler. Beautiful looking and thanks for sharing.

-Peter

Nice going out there Bowler! Might not be the biggest spotfin you've ever caught, but it's still a nice fish. Keep it going!!!

Don

Quote Originally Posted by DockRat View Post
    I was checking out some ghost shrimp at Ace fishing tackle on Crenshaw near Alondra park yesterday thinking about bait surf fishing.
    DR
    Might not be a bad idea there DR. Been a LOT of beans sliding around in the surf lately.

Glad to see you were able to get your target fish
    Thanks for the report!

-Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by DockRat View Post
    WTG on the bait. I was checking out some ghost shrimp at Ace fishing tackle on Crenshaw near Alondra park yesterday thinking about bait surf fishing.
    DR
    thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by murrieta angler View Post
    Hey Greg,
    You got 2 good looking fish and dinner to boot!
    Can't beat that.
    Robert
    <><
    thanks Robert. I know my father-in-law loves fresh fish.

Quote Originally Posted by ptn View Post
    Nice fish bowler. Beautiful looking and thanks for sharing.

-Peter
    thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bachiboy View Post
    Nice going out there Bowler! Might not be the biggest spotfin you've ever caught, but it's still a nice fish. Keep it going!!!

Don

Might not be a bad idea there DR. Been a LOT of beans sliding around in the surf lately.
    I know I can not complain about the size.
    Quote Originally Posted by dlmoo312 View Post
    Glad to see you were able to get your target fish
    Thanks for the report!

-Daniel
    I know this was the second time out trying to get them. I don't target spotfin till July but I started early since I heard there in the surf already.

DockRat Ace fishing tackle has been building a nice shop well stocked and good prices.I was there a few weeks ago and saw the new ghost shrimp tank looked like great lively bait