Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: S.W.A.T. Team Geezer Weekend Mission Sat. 5/18 & Sun. 5/19

That is the biggest Calico I've ever seen! The photos just doesn't do it, you have to see it there live laying on the sand.
    Damn bro, when you told me that you ripped your waders I had no idea that it was that bad.
    Heal up quick and get back on the sand, the Veterans need you out there.
    Thanks for coming to Sean's birthday party and thanks for the special gift.
    Last edited by Badbeat; 05-23-2013 at 12:13 PM.

I couldn't believe how big that Calico was. I thought my 15 incher was big, hahahaha
    Thanks for coming out with us Commander. Always a pleasure fishing with the SWAT kingpin.

Thumbs up Competition Points Update!

Competition Points Update as of Saturday 5/25/13
    Team Veterans – 120 Points
    Team Rookies – 90 Points

6 days left in the contest!

Another awesome day of fishing for the commander eh?
    Just yesterday, Jason, Ken and I were talking about your fishing technique and what you do so differently that gets you on so many trophy fish. Is it your retrieve? Do you work the tip of your rod differently? Or do you just simply whisper to the big fishies ???? We ended up concluding the conversation without an answer lol.. All I can say is, "errr, he's the commander... DUH!"

Congrats on that beastly Calico! Even though it was a bit short of yours and Jinbows PB, catching that a calico of that size from the surf is still an amazing feat. Hopefully one day I get to land one around that size. Cant wait!

Great report.

Thien

BTW, I think you should invest in some shin gaurds lol. Be careful out there. I am glad you didn't get too badly injured during our outing yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by bloox8 View Post
    Just yesterday, Jason, Ken and I were talking about your fishing technique and what you do so differently that gets you on so many trophy fish. Is it your retrieve? Do you work the tip of your rod differently? Or do you just simply whisper to the big fishies ???? We ended up concluding the conversation without an answer lol.. All I can say is, "errr, he's the commander... DUH!"

Congrats on that beastly Calico! Even though it was a bit short of yours and Jinbows PB, catching that a calico of that size from the surf is still an amazing feat. Hopefully one day I get to land one around that size. Cant wait!

Great report.

Thien

BTW, I think you should invest in some shin gaurds lol. Be careful out there. I am glad you didn't get too badly injured during our outing yesterday
    Ditto! I think that the commander needs to wear full body armor out there! After seeing the kind of shenanigans he pulled yesterday, i know why he's catching these legendary fish! Keep it up commander, you only have a few more years beofre your body is too frail for these types of sessions!

Smile Wingnut's Response...

Competition Final Update! May Final Points Tally.
    Team Veterans – 179 Points
    Team Rookies – 95
    Better luck in June Youngsters!
    After June's contest, I will change things up a bit. I will elect two team captains to pick teams. This way the Veterans and Rookies can fish together on the same team.

Quote Originally Posted by skunked4life View Post
    Well Commander, point wise, this wasn't your best showing. Catch wise, well that is another story! That calico is a BEAST! And by the way, 1 inch shy of a legal WSB is 27 inches bigger than most people's PB.

The best part of your reports is the whole experience. I love the before, during and after pictures. It is just a complete story to a complete trip. By the way, when I was reading your report last night, my wife glanced at the screen and immediately got huffy and said, "who is that in the bikini?? WHY ARE YOU looking at pictures of other women!?" If I were you, I would take that as a HUGE compliment. After my wife calmed down, she says she now understands when people say that you have it all: Fishing juju, cooking juju, woman juju, you are just truly blessed.

Thank you for the report my friend and for being you!

Ken

P.S. Hope your knee is okay. That will turn out to be a great battle scar.
    The Calico is big, but the biggest Calico I've ever seen caught in the surf was by Albert (Jinbow). I think it was 24" and was massive.
    As for the White Sea Bass, I'm still trying to get my first legal of the year. If i was a betting man, and I am... I would put my money on Robert to get the first legal WSB of the year.
    I enjoy writing the reports and glad that you enjoy them... successful reports are a lot more fun to write than Skunked ones.
    See you tomorrow... Let's see if we can get you that "induction" fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_B View Post
    Love your posts/reports Arthur. You guys have some amazing areas and structure to fish up there, much different than our San Diego surf line. I would love to make the trek up your way one of these days and fish with you guys one of these days. You can blind fold me if needed!

Thanks Bob... no blind folds needed, we can trade spots anytime. I don't mind networking with responsible anglers that CONTRIBUTES to this site.
    We should share the sand one of these days...

Quote Originally Posted by SP Dan View Post
    Hi ya Arthur!

Man ... were you on fire right-out-of-the-gate on the get!!
    Seriously .... I had a blast watching you pick that beach apart like you were performing fine, detailed dental work in Poseidon's realm!

I can't figure out which you are more of .... "Blessed to be Lucky" or "Lucky to be Blessed"!
    Which ever one you are .... it was a pleasure to have fished with you one more time!

If I'm going to be taken to school ..... I'd prefer it be from the best ........ "The GrassHopper"!

Glad that you were not hurt too seriously and yes the waders can be replaced!
    But most importantly Arthur .... we shared some fun times and had a few good laughs together!

Thanx Brotha for the good times!

SP Dan <"))><

SNAKE WARNING!

Everyone ... Please ... exercise more caution while hiking to your AO's!
    Arthur and I text each other after we had gone our separate ways to find out that we had both ran into sun bathing Rattle Snakes on two different trails!
    My Rattler was approx 3-ft in length and didn't rattle a sound! Thank God that it was sun bathing and moving slow because I stepped within 18-inches of it's head!

So .... try to look further ahead of your next step and watch out for the wildlife!

Thank you Arthur for allowing this piggy-back on your report.

You are one of the most fun individual to be around and fish with Brother Dan. Your smile energizes me all day. Skunk or no Skunk, your positive attitude never change... don't YOU ever change!
    Thank you for the Rattle Snake warning... no doubt, we will come across many more of them this Summer.
    Hope to fish with you again soon my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by jinbow View Post
    Impressive, that is a big Calico, Congrats to that fat toad.
    Haha...what a bummer to have an inch short day, but still very amazing to get that butt and wsb.
    Wow, just within a week the score gets so close, it really is a battle now. Good luck to all of you.
    Hope your leg gets better. Thanks for the report and bonus pictures.
    Albert, you caught the biggest Calico I've ever seen from the surf, that thing was an absolute Beast.
    I hope you've been able to get out and fish. Let me know when you want to hit the surf together my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by DockRat View Post
    That's One Toad Checker
    That spot looks familiar
    DR

Quote Originally Posted by exfactor View Post
    If there was an award for miles traveled to surf fish, you would win it hands down! I'm going to continue monitoring my AO's for opportunities, but it's not looking good for us up here for a while. So the rookies know, I've made 5 trips for 1 fish now, figured I've hiked over 18 miles last week looking. So count your blessings, as to having some conditions to fish in, and intel to go on, cause that can make a world of difference. Our turns will come, and when our beaches are happening, it will be game on! A great moon phase this week to fish, make it count on those big tide swing days.
    I know you've hard on the recon trail up there Mikey and we appreciate your intel gathering efforts.
    You say the word and I'll be there Yoda.

Quote Originally Posted by Which Way Out View Post
    Oh Romeo oh Romeo you lucky dog.............

Looks like you guys had an interesting outing to say the least. Lots of fish and only a little blood lost. Fair trade if you ask me.

Heal up quickly and hit it again soon, were gonna need the points. Lord only knows I haven't been any help.

WWO

Seeing how I have caught no fish yet. I will add that to what Mikey said plus. Sunday morning 5 AM that is, we hit the beach. Packed up the Skunk and headed home by 9 AM. I recouped and headed back out about 11 AM and hit the water in a Yak till my tummy said its Pizza and Beer 30!!!! 5 PM.
    So let it be known that the Skunk is still sitting on my shoulder and won't leave.
    You kill that Skunk yet Bill??? You know you're always welcome to drive South and join us anytime you want.

Quote Originally Posted by jerryG View Post
    Nice calico from the beach Arthur. Each report is like a new adventure. The places this sport takes us are just amazing. I would have loved to have joined you guys on Sunday but duty called.. We got to get back out there soon... We have a trophy to win..

JerryG
    Yes, surf fishing is an adventure.
    We got your back last month my friend, but we're gonna need you this month, the Rookies and Young Guns will be out to redeem themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by ptn View Post
    That checkers really is a brute! Nice catch and too bad about being 1 inch short on all the fish.. Poseidon is letting the rookies make a comeback and make this competition down to the last day . Like you said, "The Rabbit has caught the Turtle."

This is a cool picture of Dan. Looks like he's fishing in an oasis!

When you told me you had a hole in your waders, I didn't expect you to get banged up so bad.. Good thing everything turned out okay and you didn't have to deal with any stitches. Thanks for the intel and keeping the young bucks in the loop.

I don't think this thing is that harmless... wait until they fart in your face...

Great report and love reading them. Good to see you all smiles Dan. Didn't realize you had a gold Van Staal.. Nice reel!! And thanks for watching over the Commander.. he can get adventurous sometimes and forget he's getting old...
    This Old man can still hold his own buddy.
    You Youngsters came up short last month, but this is a new month, clean slate... let's see whatcha got?!?
    A farting Beetle???

Quote Originally Posted by A W Root Beer View Post
    Nice fat calico and long wsb.

Re: sign about contaminated fish. I think i would eat a barracuda if i caught it off a clean beach.
    Eat whatever you want... to each his own.
    But catching a Barracuda from the surf is pretty rare... I did it one time a few years back.

Quote Originally Posted by madbass View Post
    That's what I'm talking about!!! That's a trophy calico and especially from the surf too!!!
    A fat calico, an almost legal sea bass.....can't ask for anything more, well maybe a legal butt but an amazing outing by all means. I'm so pumped I almost called in sick at work today, lol!!! Thanks for the write up and pictures!!!

Alex
    Thanks Alex... you keep at it, you'll see... we'll be reading a spectacular report from you soon.

Quote Originally Posted by PONTOON View Post
    Arthur,

I thought the "Old Geezers" had a more than comfortable lead for this month but it looks like I was underestimating the "Rookies" unwillingness to be taken down!

Great job out there guys and thanks for keeping the lead...........for now anyway.
    The trophy is ours Terry! But this is a new month, new contest... the Youngster will be hungry for revenge, we have to be ready.
    Be well my friend and hope we can get together soon.

Quote Originally Posted by onekrzyboi View Post
    Arthur, congrats on the PB calico! When I first received the text, my jaw dropped.
    22" is a hog! And from the surf too. Way to go! That must of been a fun 5 points. That hefty lead for the "old geezers" was intimidating, but this furious rookies comeback is going to make this very close.
    The WSB was also a nice catch. Have yet to catch one yet, but surf or rocks, WSB is almost in a class of its own.

Thanks for the pics and report as always. Hope to fish with you again soon!

-Danny
    Thanks Danny, you kids gave it a good effort last month, but the Golden Oldies prevailed... June is a new month, go gettem' and good luck chasing that "induction" fish.

Quote Originally Posted by blackwater View Post
    Damn, that's a beast of Calico Art and coming from the surf is even more impressive.
    Sorry about the injury, but unless you lose a leg, I know you'll be back out there again soon.
    The Youngsters are really coming on strong. Will the Old Fogies have enough energy down the stretch to put these pesky youngin's away???
    I won't be able to chip in, but watching the drama unfold is exciting as hell. lol

The Iron Chef is looking great, you are one lucky man.
    But not very lucky last weekend at the poker tournament. I WON, I WON, I WON!!! I took Wingnut down!!!
    Okay, so you won the tournament, but I bet I took home more money than you at the cash table, lol
    Get your butt out there this month and help get us some points bro!

Quote Originally Posted by bbqsushi View Post
    Nice getz Commander!!! And 5 points or not, that Cali is a PIG!!! What a beaut!! Sorry about your ouchie, as well. I think I'm gonna keep some first-aid parts in the ol' back pack. You know, fishing with Bachiboy n' all. SOMEone's bound to get hurt. Anyway, I was on my way down to my local-yocal fishing spot when I got the text on Sunday, so I re-routed the GPS to give brother Dan some back-up. He and I fished the other spot for a couple of hours, Dan attacking the South side, while I explored the north. I ended up with one legal sized turd-roller, but it wasn't worth any points, so I didn't bother with it. Just a quick CPR.

So, its down to the fourth quarter with time running out. You're the team captain. Which play do you think we should run??

Nate
    Thanks Nate... accidents will always happen in the surf, it's just a matter of time if you fish long enough. You just have to be prepared when it does happen.
    It was nice running into you last week in the surf. Good luck out there this month, lets get some points!

Quote Originally Posted by dlmoo312 View Post
    Awesome report Arthur! The PB calico is seriously a toad and you didn't even have to hop on the rocks to get it
    I have to say, I was a little relieved after finding out that the wsb was from the rocks but nonetheless, it is a great catch and so close to being legal!
    I love how they start to darken and look more beastly as they mature. Glad to hear that your injury wasn't too serious. Those rocks can be treacherous. Thien and I almost got stranded out there while not paying close attention to the rising tide
    Sokha, congrats on the calico! You'll get that legal hali soon!
    Thanks for the report and the intel I know we're in a competition, but I love how we still look out for each other first and want each other to succeed in catching fish!
    Dan, that was a close call with that rattlesnake, and i'm glad to hear that you were safe I'll definitely be on the lookout!

-Daniel
    No worries about the intel Daniel, we look out for each other.
    I was actually pulling for your guys to keep it close, it makes for a more fun challenge.
    Hope you're enjoying New York, you got some work to do here in the surf when you get back!

Quote Originally Posted by murrieta angler View Post
    Arturo,
    You just have to love those days;
    Great looking fish,
    Great friend to fish with,
    Great looking pup,
    Great looking lady...who can cook her *** off
    You are truly Blessed Brotha.
    I'm glad you didn't hurt yourself to bad.
    9 more days to go and the weather is going to clear up some..
    Great report as always,
    Robert
    <><
    Thanks Roberto... you did great for Team Veterans last month and earned MVP honors for the Team.
    I know I can count on you again this month.
    Good luck if you're out there this weekend bro... it's my turn tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by bachiboy View Post
    Way to go sir!!! That is a PIG of a checker. Great job following it up with the ghost, even if it didn't score any points for us "old guys". Sorry to hear about the war wound and hope you can get those waders fixed, much less your leg. Sounds like my kinda luck out there. When I text you the night before, I was just about to go to that A.O. but figured you were heading there and decided to split our forces and head in the opposite direction to fan out the assault. I struck out, but fortunately, you didn't. Hopefully I'll be able to help on the points before month's end. I've seemed to have hit a major dry spell but this weekend might produce...gotta love it when the wife wants to vacation near some prime hunting grounds!

Funny how we were just mentioning the rattlers in the area, and sure enough with a little warm weather, there they were. Glad you and Dan didn't have TOO close of an encounter.

Good luck this weekend if you get out there! We need to put a little extra heat on the "youngin's"!

If you're fishing with me, A) I keep two first-aid kits handy, one in the car and one on me, B) What are you worried about? You KNOW it's gonna be me that gets hurt!
    Hey Don, come down off Cloud 9 yet?!?
    Thanks again for keeping Team Veterans ahead in the competition. Somehow, I don't think this month's contest will be as easy, the Rookies are out for revenge.
    See you tomorrow bright and early!

Quote Originally Posted by saltman View Post
    Arthur

Very Very nice report what can I say? You are truly bless my friend.
    Congrats on your hook ups.

Ramiro
    Thank Ramiro, hope you've been catching a few nice fish yourself buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by Badbeat View Post
    That is the biggest Calico I've ever seen! The photos just doesn't do it, you have to see it there live laying on the sand.
    Damn bro, when you told me that you ripped your waders I had no idea that it was that bad.
    Heal up quick and get back on the sand, the Veterans need you out there.
    Thanks for coming to Sean's birthday party and thanks for the special gift.
    No worries Binh, the wounds that I suffered for the past couple of weeks are already healed. I still have a few pairs of back up waders ready to go.
    Sean's birthday party was quite nice and the BBQ was great!
    See you soon my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by troublehook View Post
    I couldn't believe how big that Calico was. I thought my 15 incher was big, hahahaha
    Thanks for coming out with us Commander. Always a pleasure fishing with the SWAT kingpin.
    Congrats on your first Calico Sokha, very nice. Also, for your big Striper on the Lunker Plunker yesterday, awesome! I know you and Binh have been fishing it hard lately and I'm glad that it paid off for one of your guys.

Quote Originally Posted by bloox8 View Post

Great report.

Thien

Hey Thien, what I do is not a secret... I've been told that my retrieve a kinda unique. I dunno know, just doing what feels comfortable to me, that's all... it works, I can't complain.
    Time for the Rookies and Young Whippersnappers to regroup, lick your wounds and make a run to take back the trophy this month, good luck!
    Your session yesterday was a nice warm up, keep it up!

Quote Originally Posted by skunked4life View Post
    Ditto! I think that the commander needs to wear full body armor out there! After seeing the kind of shenanigans he pulled yesterday, i know why he's catching these legendary fish! Keep it up commander, you only have a few more years before your body is too frail for these types of sessions!
    Lol, some knee pads, elbow pads, and butt pads would have been nice to have last Saturday morning, hahaha
    Don't worry, these old bones still have many more years of durability in them.
    See you bright and early tomorrow... let's get you on that "induction" fish!
    Last edited by Wingnut; 06-01-2013 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Adding Replies...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123