Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Ventura Harbor late report 5/18/13

Default Ventura Harbor late report 5/18/13

Hey guys,
    Tried to get a little surf action at the beach next to Ventura harbor on Saturday morning. I fished while my wife looked for sand dollars. We got there around 7am and the skies were clear with no wind. The surf was rougher than I expected though. I checked out surfline the night before (not sure how accurate their forecasts are) and the waves seemed a little bigger than 1-3ft. Anyways, started tossing an LC for a bit but there was lots of floating salad. I'd have a big wad of it on every retrieve. Switched to the C-rig with a Gulp camo sandworm and it wasn't collecting as much salad so I worked my way down the beach. I got down to the very end where all the breakwalls are and the water was much calmer. I waded out about knee deep and casted out as far as I could. Within a few seconds I got hit pretty good and set the hook. Not much of a fight but landed a nice little guy about 12". It was silver and sort of irradecent almost like a rainbow trout. Not sure exactly what it was. Maybe a corbina? Either way it was nice to beat the skunk. Forgot my phone in the car and my wife was about 100 yards away so no pics :(
    After that we drove to Channel Islands harbor to try our luck down there. The tide was way low so we climbed down the rock jetty and fished off a small exposed strip of beach. There was tons of sand crabs and we saw some sea lions which was cool. No bites down there but it was nice spending some time together in a beautiful environment. Hit In-N-Out for lunch and headed home. All in all a great day.
    -Andy

The forecasts are usually close but this weekend, the surf was up everywhere. Good job on landing the bean even with all the salad out there and high surf. Thanks for sharing and I hope I can convince my future wife, if i have one , to share a day at the beach with me so I can fish.

-Peter

Yes it's always fun fishing with your significant other. (Except when they are catching more fish than you are)

Yeah man, I'm very fortunate to have found a girl that likes to fish as well. She just felt like collecting shells on that particular day instead of fishing. Which is fine. She usually out fishes me anyways, lol!
    -Andy

Hi Andy

I was in the Ventura harbor myself on Saturday moning hooking up on the surf perch near the rocks. Hoping to get a hulibut out of the surf but no luck! Thanks for your report.

Ramiro

Sometimes the salad makes it virtually impossible to fish the lc..
    Way to switch it up and beat the skunk!
    Thanks for the report!

-Daniel

Good job switching over to the C-rig.
    Even better job getting the wife to go..
    Next time try a leadhead with a 3" big hammer...
    Robert
    <><

Nice job scoring that fish to beat the skunk! It's always a great day out with the wife to hit the beach...somehow, I can't convince my wife of that. Keep it up and thanks for sharing!
    Don

Thanks guys. I did have some 3" big hammers with me. Shoulda tied one on. Next time!
    I'm dying to catch my first butt!